Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TTS tuning guide.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TTS tuning guide.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of Doc's TTS Mastertune tuning guide?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM
THABULL
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if this link works! Talked to Doc last week and he said scrap the blending section!
http://home.comcast.net/~Blkfalc4/Pi...uneProcess.pdf

Old 06-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by THABULL
See if this link works! Talked to Doc last week and he said scrap the blending section!
http://home.comcast.net/~Blkfalc4/Pi...uneProcess.pdf
As an interesting side note, I use a very similar "blending" technique when tuning in Smarttune with the SEPST. Essentially I take the last "Smarttuned" cell both horizontally and vertically and make sure no cell (to the right or below) is lower than the number in the last "smarttuned" cell. That's not to suggest that cells to the far right or far below that Smarttuned cell shouldn't be far greater. But assuming you have a "good" performing map to start with you can make it better by ensuring there are no cells to the right or lower of the last Smarttune cell that have a lower VE value.

This approach works great and will definitely smooth out throttle response and ensure you have no "soft" spots in the map. You'll need to use this approach multiple times (many multiple) as each time you do it, Smarttune will push further out into the map making recommended VE changes.

I have yet to see an instance (at least on my build) where the Smarttune algorithym recommends a VE # LOWER than the cell above or to it's left on the map. Consequently I believe the blending technique actually works quite well, at least for the SE Pro Super Tuner which essentially has very similar look and feel to TTS (looks like they have the same software engineers although I know that's not the case).

FWIW, my measure of success using this approach is that I have been able to eliminate even the smallest bumps of knock in both cylinders and have been able to get the "desired AFR" to 98% using the recorded data runs. I've used alot of data runs (including both general and aggressive riding) to make alot of Smarttune adjustments and the bike simply gets measureably better with every data run, both it seat feel and in the recorded data. The performance of the bike is far far better than the results that generated the 111/115 results below. The bike is explosive from a traffic light with absolutely no lag or bogging engine effect and pulls endlessly to 6k with not a single "soft" spot. I truly couldn't be more pleased with the performance. I have a few more data runs to clean up a couple more AFR drops and then I'll be getting some new dyno data to go with the new map.

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-07-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the reason for Doc to say scrap the blending?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Originally Posted by Heatwave
As an interesting side note, I use a very similar "blending" technique when tuning in Smarttune with the SEPST. Essentially I take the last "Smarttuned" cell both horizontally and vertically and make sure no cell (to the right or below) is lower than the number in the last "smarttuned" cell.

This approach works great and will definitely smooth out throttle response and ensure you have no "soft" spots in the map. You'll need to use this approach multiple times (many multiple) as each time you do it, Smarttune will push further out into the map making recommended VE changes.

I have yet to see an instance (at least on my build) where the Smarttune algorithym recommends a VE # LOWER than the cell above or to it's left on the map. Consequently I believe the blending technique actually works quite well, at least for the SE Pro Super Tuner which essentially has very similar look and feel to TTS (looks like they have the same software engineers although I know that's not the case).

FWIW, my measure of success using this approach is that I have been able to eliminate even the smallest bumps of knock in both cylinders and have been able to get the "desired AFR" to 98% using the recorded data runs. I've used alot of data runs (including both general and aggressive riding) to make alot of Smarttune adjustments and the bike simply gets measureably better with every data run, both it seat feel and in the recorded data. The performance of the bike is far far better than the results that generated the 111/115 results below. The bike is explosive from a light with absolutely no lag or bogging engine effect and pulls endlessly to 6k. I truly could be more pleased with the performance. I have a few more data runs to clean up a couple more AFR drops and then I'll be getting some new dyno data to go with the new map.
I'm just beginning to play and learn with the TTS so I still have a lot to learn but that is the beauty of these tuners you can play around and see what works and doesn't! I only have 3 data runs now and have a bike now that never ran so good using the PCIII!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Originally Posted by hawwk
What was the reason for Doc to say scrap the blending?
He said but I can't remember , getting old and senile! LOL

Old 06-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by THABULL
I'm just beginning to play and learn with the TTS so I still have a lot to learn but that is the beauty of these tuners you can play around and see what works and doesn't! I only have 3 data runs now and have a bike now that never ran so good using the PCIII!
Based on my experience so far and reading Doc's tuning guide, the approach to Smarttuning and V-tuning are essentially identical. I have over 200 data runs with Smarttuning as a result of changing out exhaust and also changing out baffles.

I'm convinced after the tuning I've done, that for the guy that is comfortable with a laptop, ANY bike running with these software tuning aps can be made better than a bike that was tuned only on a dyno. This assumes that you start with a map that has been tuned for spark advance and runs well to start with. But after that I simply don't think any tuner could make the kind of adjustments across the entire map that the software can.

Let me repeat, this assumes you have a map that is already close and optimizes the spark advance for that build. But once the basic VE tables have been roughly dialed in and the spark is taking full advantage of the compression and head setup, it'll be hard for any tuner to dial in the last 10% better than the software can. Just my opinion but it's based on over 200 Smarttunes. Once you've eliminated all knock regardless of there size and have been able to geth the "desired AFR" in your data runs to 98% or better, your bike will be performing outstanding. Everyone should experience it.

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-07-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I'm convinced after the tuning I've done, that for the guy that is comfortable with a laptop, ANY bike running with these software tuning aps can be made better than a bike that was tuned only on a dyno.
I know thats your opinion, it just isn't mine. These programs do work well but I can reach all areas of the map on the dyno. A lot of areas in the map where you ride the bike you cannot get to with the vtune or smart tune.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
I know thats your opinion, it just isn't mine. These programs do work well but I can reach all areas of the map on the dyno. A lot of areas in the map where you ride the bike you cannot get to with the vtune or smart tune.
I don't disagree about Smarttune or V-tune not getting to all areas of the map. Although you can get to much more of the map if you have an open road or highway with little or no traffic where you can open the throttle and ride somewhat aggressively.

But even if you can't use the auto-tuning for tune all areas of the map you can use the analysis feature of your data runs to make adjustments to the map. If for example you have a small degree of knock outside the cells that the auto-tune reaches, you can analyze it against the RPMs, the VE for each cylinder and the map load and then adjust the VE upwards in that range of cells. On your next run that knock degree will be gone and therefore the bike will be running better.

Or you might find the Desired AFR has a dip indicating a lean state. You can analyze your data run against the RPMs and cyl VEs to once again adjust the VEs upwards (outside the auto-tune cell range) to reduce the dip in order to get a straight line for Desired AFR and to achieve a higher % of Desired AFR.

Or if you find you have a small degree of knock while the engine RPMs are declining, it means your "Decel Enleanment" table is too lean and you need to lower the #s in the table to avoid decreasing the fuel too far while decelerating. On your next data run, you'll find the knock is gone.

In the end, if the 1) spark advance is properly set up for your engine build, 2) the AFRs are appropriate for the build and 3) the bike operates reasonably smoothly without popping on deceleration, THEN using the auto-tuning software plus analysis of data run recordings can result in an OUTSTANDING performance for the bike.

The sensation is remarkable as you get closer to a maximized performance for the build. The point of the tuning software is to get the data runs to have a "perfectly" straight line for the "Desired AFR" parameter PLUS a "perfectly" straight line for both the front and rear "knock retards".

I assure you, if your data runs show knock or AFR %s in the 80's or lower (even after a pro dyno tune) than your bike can be significantly improved resulting in a bike that's a whole lot more fun to ride.

Get the Desired AFR close to 100% and knock retard lines to be straight in your data runs and you'll understand what I'm talking about. Nirvana...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm up in Alberta Canada. Does anybody know a tuner up here who is familiar with TTS?

Quick Reply: TTS tuning guide.