Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride ready hybrid half helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts
Default ride ready hybrid half helmet

I recently returned from a 1,760 miles trip. It was the first trip I have made since I bought the HD ride ready hybrid half helmet part #98306-10VM

First of all, it is overpriced for what it is. No doubt about that, but it is much more comfortable than I thought it would be. I liked wearing it much better than the ACC helmet I wore on my last trip. Weight is not a factor, it is very light. It fits my head very well and the wind didn't pull my head back like it does with alot of the other half helmets I have tried.

The last 300 miles of my trip was very windy. I did get some minor buffetting that shook my glasses a bit, but nothing terrible.

I usually leave Illinois without a helmet, put it on when I get to the first state line that requires a helmet and then take it back off as soon as I leave a helmet state.

This helmet was actually comfortable enough that I wore it the rest of the trip once I put it on even when I wasn't required to by law.

It also has vents in the front you can open to let more air in. The weather was mild on this trip, but I did see some low 90's for half a day and did not overheat in this helmet.

If it was half it's price, I would highly recommend it. It is a good helmet, just not good enough to cost what it does. I am still glad I bit the bullet and bought it. I think it will motivate me to wear it all the time when I ride and if I ride long enough, I am sure that will pay off sooner or later.

Dennis

Old 06-08-2010, 01:42 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Neighbor....What did it set you back? Did you get from dealer or order on line? I'm in the market for a Half for the O'Lady.... Thanks for the info!!.. o~`o

Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I ordered it from Chicago HD, but only because I had two other helmets made by the same manufacturer on my shelf and I was very sure about the size. I don't know of anyone that will refund or exchange helmets once you place the order.

These helmets are in the $200 range msrp.

I also bought one for my wife. She hates helmets worse than anyone I know. We will be taking our first trip together to helmet states later this month. I hope she likes it as much as I do so she will wear it more often as well.

Dennis

Last edited by rochkes; 06-08-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: corrected the msrp of this helmet
Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
I also bought one for my wife. She hates helmets worse than anyone I know. . I hope she likes it as much as I do so she will wear it more often as well.

Dennis
LMAO!!!! Our O'ladies must be related!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
roadking531
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought:
Men's Hybrid Ultra-Light Spoiler Half Helmet 98334-09VM

I have this since last year and absolutely would recomend it to anyone. $200 is a high price tag, but worth it to me. Having a comfortable helmet on a long ride (if you choose to wear one) is definitely worth the higher price. IMHO.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at the 98306-10VM, you can also get the regular HJC version for about $50 less. I like the internal sun visor that you can drop down but reviews say it is not dark enough for bright sun since it is not a dark smoke. I have talked to HJC and they do not offer nor do they plan to offer a darker one for it. I am trying to find out now before buying it if I can remove the visor and take it to an auto tinting shop and get it tinted darker. This would be great and it would keep me from buying more prescription sunglasses.

Has anyone tinted a shield or visor with auto tint film?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, the HD hybrids are expensive, but they are SO comfortable. The biggest thing I like is the way it feels that it wraps around my head. Plus, it doesnt feel like a parachute and trying to pull off the top of my head

Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 97208-10VM and love it. Feels great compared to other helmets, inside lining is comfortable and seems to keep the moisture and heat away from my head pretty good. Have not washed it yet, but is supposed to be removable and washable.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM
threeten
Tourer

Originally Posted by rochkes
I don't know of anyone that will refund or exchange helmets once you place the order.

FYI, Cycle Gear has a 7 day helmet exchange at their expense. They do not sell HD brand however.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by ncbeast
I have been looking at the 98306-10VM, you can also get the regular HJC version for about $50 less.
What model HJC is equivalent to the HD Hybrid? It's hard to tell by looking at some of the website pictures...

Quick Reply: ride ready hybrid half helmet