Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Having issues with your audio equipment? The first post gives great tips on self-diagnostics in order to help pinpoint your issue. Forum members list their issue and solutions that worked for them.

Read the full discussion below to find out if your issue is listed and what helped forum members fix the problem.
Print Wikipost

Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dead wait
Would someone PM me the problem. I saw a post where a guy had the same problem i'm having. Trouble is, i'm not sure if he ever got an answer. When I can get my switch to change to FM, it quickly changes back to the weather channel. Can someone PLEASE send me a PM with the problem. Thank you.

Need more specifics on your defect.
Post or call us and we'll see if we can help.
201-207-7157

Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have nothing but good to say about IRON CROSS AUDIO they me right. Upgrade the AMP and repaired the short. My new 2008 HK was used 2006 HK sham on them it was stock in my 2008 flktcu

Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today I installed my stereo in my 09 UC after having repaired by Iron Cross Audio and have to say what great people to deal with sent my unit out to them last Tuesday after speaking to them over the phone they took there time explaining everything that would be done...Monday they called and ask for C/C info all repairs were completed and I had it back in my hands Tuesday afternoon... They even included service bulletin about replacing handle bar bolts.....Joe

Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 2 Thumbs UP!

I sent in my stock HK head unit from my 2006 UCEG in Feb2014. Was doing the ol'audio cut out at various RPMS during the late riding season in 2013. They had it for 3 days and performed the repairs and did an upgrade per my request for the rear AUX cord. I got a call from Tony and he explained to me it was typical vibration issue. NO water damage or LCD issues. They did their fix etc. And he recommended to me on the phone that I upgrade both horizontal brackets, mine were not broke, to the new HD ones. And he said to upgrade the tall metal main vertical brackets too. Mine were not broke or cracked. He said, it's not IF they are broke it's WHEN they will break.

Radio came back in a great box all packed like it was brand new. I went to local HD dealer and got the newest version of the HD OEM metal horizontal brackets - $6 something EA. YES better design then my OEM ones. AND I also opted for an aftermarket orange plastic/glass filled set of vertical brackets vs. the HD more pricey metal ones. My dealer had these in stock. Think they are StrongARM or something like that. The upgrade parts, orange, were under $99 for both vertical brackets. Stinking HD OEM vertical brackets/metal are $65 EA. And metal is metal and will crack again.
Took me a few hrs to install the brackets and the head unit. I did have to get 4 new side radio screws and washers from ACE Hardware as the OEM hardware did not have enough threads to pass thru the new thicker plastic vertical brackets for my liking. Cost me $1.25 for 4 allen head bolts and washers. I repacked the faring speakers with the white pillow stuff and vio-la.

Finally this past weekend I had the bike out and the HK worked great! Sounds great and didn’t cut out. The cord they installed works perfectly too and now my lil’plug on the face of the radio is in to keep moisture out. I ran my own thick iPhone cord from the radio backside to the handle bars to connect up my iPods or iPhone – pending what I’m do’in on the ride.

THANKS IRON CROSS for the support and help. Great support, and price and turn around.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 PM
harley558
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my audio go out on my 2009 HD Streetglide. As you stated, I followed your instructions and received an error code: B2017 FL Speakers Open."
I also read the part about if I was running an amp, I might receive that message. I was running a Fosgate PBR300X2 amp.
However, I discounted the amp and tried running the speakers wires directly back to the speakers eliminating the amp. I even discounted the power going to the amp.
I still get the same message! "B2017 FL Speakers Open."
Is there any other test I should run? Or does that sum it up? Who repairs them? and at a reasonable rate?
BTW, I am from Massachusetts.

Thanks in advance.....

Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harley558
I had my audio go out on my 2009 HD Streetglide. As you stated, I followed your instructions and received an error code: B2017 FL Speakers Open."
I also read the part about if I was running an amp, I might receive that message. I was running a Fosgate PBR300X2 amp.
However, I discounted the amp and tried running the speakers wires directly back to the speakers eliminating the amp. I even discounted the power going to the amp.
I still get the same message! "B2017 FL Speakers Open."
Is there any other test I should run? Or does that sum it up? Who repairs them? and at a reasonable rate?
BTW, I am from Massachusetts.

Thanks in advance.....
We have a few questions, but we should be able to help.
Give the shop a call when you can
201-207-7157

Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 PM
psychommann
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fragmentum
I successfully upgraded my HK radio software today from ST10v8.19.0 to ST10v8.25.0 and wonder if anyone knows what this upgrade does to the radio?

Last summer I was getting intermittent display going blank, and I realize this is a different issue and software upgrades don't provide any fix for that. I found the upgrade while looking for information on the display issue. 2009 Road Glide is still under warranty and the cure for the intermittent display lays with the motor co. replacing my radio or I send it to the good boys at Iron Cross Audio (and cut my losses overall...).
Hello
I tried to do the update waited like 8 min still didn't do it, curious how long did it yours?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 PM
DaKrzFkr
6th Gear
Default 3rd HK radio in 2 years

Im happy I found this thread. I am currently experiencing the same trouble with the sound cutting out, and a B2017 FL speakers open code. When the sound cuts out, sometimes I can toggle over to headset, then back to the main speakers and they come back on for a few seconds, sometimes a little longer, up to a minute, regardless of volume settings. This is the 3rd HK radio in 2 years. Last year I started having the same problem and took it in to the dealer since the bike was still under warranty. They replaced the radio both times with refurbished HKs. This last one lasted about a year, but just last Friday it started doing the same thing again. The dealer told me it was a problem with the radios, but Im not sure if they tested anything beyond that. They did however find 2 broken fairing mounts and replaced those. Im frustrated as hell with it, and now the damn thing is out of warranty. The good thing is riding season is close to over, so whatever I decide to do I'll have 4 months to get it done, or sell the bike and get a newer one.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:04 PM
ECV-Dustin
Stage IV
Default Thanks

Thanks Harleypingman. This helped quite a bit!!

Old 12-06-2014, 11:34 AM
richP
Stage I
Default 04 FLHTCUI Speaker

Right rear speaker not working. Changed speaker it is not working. Any ideas?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios