Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Having issues with your audio equipment? The first post gives great tips on self-diagnostics in order to help pinpoint your issue. Forum members list their issue and solutions that worked for them.

Read the full discussion below to find out if your issue is listed and what helped forum members fix the problem.
Print Wikipost

Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:39 AM
Pasby
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im really interested in this thread. I am having problems with my HK stereo not showing the option for XM radio. I do have the module installed, but i never see it prompt me so i can select it. It doesn't even show up on the stereo. Any suggestions?

I have got the same problem but i dont see the COM,INT and NAV in the display.. this happend after changing fuses

Old 11-17-2016, 06:52 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Took a ride through Charleston, SC and the next morning I had no radio display. I have a 2013 Road Glide.
Radio works, just can't see stations/cb channels, clock....etc. Just looking for ideas before I pull the fairing off.
I kind of figure that some of the cobble stone roads vibrated a connection loose.

Chuck

Old 11-30-2016, 12:59 PM
skinhinaroadglide
5th Gear

Have you checked to see if the display is turned all the way up? I know it might seem stupid.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 PM
skinhinaroadglide
5th Gear

I have a 2012 ultra limited. No power to radio. Fuses are good. Help.

Tommy,
I would first of all check to see if the positive or negative has come off the battery, then you say the fuse is good, check the voltage on the other side of the fuse, the fuse holder could be rusted so even though the fuse is good, the voltage wont go through the fuse, also did you actually pull the fuse from the holder?

Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

ey guys, I have a 2010 Street Glide. I bought the bike used from a private seller. The radio wasn't working when I bought the bike. I took it to the stealer and they put a refurbished unit in. It was working fine initially then stopped working. The stealer put a new amp in for me, so they claimed. They said the old one was outdated and not made anymore. Anyway, the radio has still been giving me trouble. Just a couple of days ago I got a code B2017 front speakers open. An amp was installed by the dealer. What does this mean? I don't want to take it to the dealer. I've spent a fortune and am done with them. What can I do? I tried clicking on the link at the bottom of the original post, but it's not working anymore. Please help.

Last edited by EdsRoadGlide2017; 12-01-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

What little I remember, for those that have no display but the radio works, (and the display is turned all the way up) it is the connector for the face-plate. Some have said you can remove the radio, slightly bend the pins back in shape, and it should fix it ( I don't remember if it is in this thread or another about how to do it.)

I wouldn't. Those pins are very fragile and can be broken when trying to reinstall the faceplate.
I think that was HK's biggest mistake with this radio, those faceplate contacts.

For the dreaded B2017 code:
First thing's first.
When the radio cuts out, can you hear it if you plug in the headset?
( make sure the faring switch is set correctly)
If so, it is probably the amp chip inside the radio.

Did someone change the bars on the bike?

There is an amp chip inside the radio that vibrates loose ( actually the solder joints break and/or the pins break off the chip.)

One thing that speeds it's demise greatly is if the bottom of the radio is hitting the bolts that hold the handle bars down. You must be very careful when installing the radio that it is in the correct position, centered, tight, and does not hit these bolts.
( Harley actually came out with a replacement bolt with a shorter head because they realized there was a problem. Check the thread, you should be able to find the year ( I think it was 2012 ) and the replacement part number. Or you can just grind down the original, just don't grind too much.)

But if the amp chip connection is broken (either from cracked solder joint or broken pin leg) the amp chip will have to be replaced. (I believe it is a TDA7563)

Unless you are an electronics technician I would not recommend you try fixing either of the above problems.

Contact Iron Cross.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 12-02-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:08 PM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

Originally Posted by IKnowNot

For the dreaded B2017 code:
First thing's first.
When the radio cuts out, can you hear it if you plug in the headset?
( make sure the faring switch is set correctly)
If so, it is probably the amp chip inside the radio.

Did someone change the bars on the bike?

There is an amp chip inside the radio that vibrates loose ( actually the solder joints break and/or the pins break off the chip.)

One thing that speeds it's demise greatly is if the bottom of the radio is hitting the bolts that hold the handle bars down. You must be very careful when installing the radio that it is in the correct position, centered, tight, and does not hit these bolts.
( Harley actually came out with a replacement bolt with a shorter head because they realized there was a problem. Check the thread, you should be able to find the year ( I think it was 2012 ) and the replacement part number. Or you can just grind down the original, just don't grind too much.)

But if the amp chip connection is broken (either from cracked solder joint or broken pin leg) the amp chip will have to be replaced. (I believe it is a TDA7563)

Unless you are an electronics technician I would not recommend you try fixing either of the above problems.

Contact Iron Cross.
Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't tried it with the head set. I'll try that next. The previous owner did put mini apes on the bike. Thank you again. I'm not an electronics tech. I will check with Iron Cross.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:17 PM
RockyMountainRider
Stage II

Great info but having gone through two HKs , even did the bolt retrofit that supposedly cause the radio failure in the first place, and now #3 is on it's way out. I'm going aftermarket this time.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Marinablue
Stage IV

Greetings all, new member here with a radio question. The HK on my 03 ultra is broken. The clock displays but no buttons work. I could get the clock to work if I pulled the fuse at 12:00 and put it back in but that's about as functional as it gets. I've tried the diagnostic mode and I can get the diagnostic mode to come on by only holding one button instead of two. When it comes on it shows 011111. The numbers do change when I cycle through all the buttons and switches except for the mode switch on the handlebar doesn't seem to change anything. This is making me think the problem may be in the wiring related to that switch? I don't want to send the radio in if the problems in that handlebar wiring. Is there some way to troubleshoot the wiring? Thanks for looking.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 AM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer

I found the solution to my radio problems by installing a new radio and speakers. Damn that Harman Kardon stock junk!

Quick Reply: Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios