Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked license plate cover?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in California and we can run tinted windows. They just can't be to dark. You can black out the back ones but the door windows have to have lighter tint. And I see license plate covers everyday even though they are not legal. Most of the laws were written for the stupid red light cameras.

Oh and we don't need some wanna be cop coming on here telling us what we can and cant do. I think most of us are smart enough to know how to find if something is illegal or not.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
I live in California and we can run tinted windows. They just can't be to dark. You can black out the back ones but the door windows have to have lighter tint. And I see license plate covers everyday even though they are not legal. Most of the laws were written for the stupid red light cameras.

Oh and we don't need some wanna be cop coming on here telling us what we can and cant , do. I think most of us are smart enough to know how to find if something is illegal or not.
If you are talking about me, I'm not a wannabe anything. (except for I wannabe younger) Just made a true statement for FYI purposes. By the way the fine is $140 in my area, and we get a lot of bikes in the Ozarks, so I just threw it out there.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
If you are talking about me, I'm not a wannabe anything. (except for I wannabe younger) Just made a true statement for FYI purposes. By the way the fine is $140 in my area, and we get a lot of bikes in the Ozarks, so I just threw it out there.
Actually I wasn't talking about you. I have nothing against LEOs as my family is full of them. It's the ones that come onto an open forum and tell someone what they can't do because of how it's illegal and they are a cop. The type that likes throwing the badge around if you know what I mean.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The only thing I could find was an smoked auto "Vanity Tag" cover at the Auto Zone. I had to cut it down myself with a dremmel tool. It's not totally clean on the edges, but it doesn't show.
I did get a little apprehensive about it after a while and removed it.

aka Bob

Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
antarius
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys... and to the poster above: I agree, it's the badge-throwing "I'm a cop even when I'm not at work and you shall obey every law on the planet while I put non-CARB legal crap on my bike" types that drive me nuts.

I appreciate, applaud and am thankful for law enforcement in this State and country. That doesn't mean I want to be treated like a child. I also find it funny that he changed his signature to "Road King with some stuff on it" instead of the list of his "illegal" mods. Genuinely made my girl and I laugh.

Anyhow, off to work I go. Thanks again for all the solutions guys.

Last edited by antarius; 06-15-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:16 PM
2fast
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Covers

I keep a motorcycle in Ohio and in California (with a Nevada registration). In Ohio you can visit the BMV and purchase a cover (smoked or clear) no issues, my motorcycle in California has a smoked cover (I also added tint on the inside) and although I've been stopped never received a citation for it.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:47 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Am I the only one wondering why someone would even want a tinted cover on their license plate?? I mean, are you trying to keep it cool? Or protect it from UV rays?

When I see them I automatically think the driver has it to avoid someone writing it down in the even they do something illegal. Or to prevent police from running it. Both are uber shady.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

I thought riders didn't want to be stopped...for anything.

If you do this, you are inviting a cop/biker encounter. Why risk it?

This young girl that works for my wife got stopped for a tinted cover over her plate on her car. While the officer had her stopped, he checked her window tint; 'too dark' he says.

$250 ticket later she has no license plate cover nor window tint...ouch..

Old 05-27-2017, 01:56 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Ng here in ny state. Plate readers on police vehicles, cameras toll booths........they all want to see that plate.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Totally agree with SWThomas and not a sock...I'm certain that virtually all states have laws against such things, and why risk being stopped for a stupid thing like that? Why give law enforcement such an edge? And my opinion is driven by common sense and the propensity of LE to look for ANY probable cause to stop a motorcyclist on even the best of days, not just a knee-jerk 'it's against the law' reaction.