Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by WireChief
I to have a 07 Ultra Classic and I have been having the low idle issue. But like a lot of people have mentioned, I am more confused now than before. I have an appt with HD next week, but don't know if I want to spend the money on that visit just yet.

Also, I tried some of the earlier links for the TT410 and they did not work. Can someone e-mail it please? scotthill1969@hotmail.com

thanks!
Have you tried cleaning the idle air control? That has worked for some of us.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WireChief
I to have a 07 Ultra Classic and I have been having the low idle issue. But like a lot of people have mentioned, I am more confused now than before. I have an appt with HD next week, but don't know if I want to spend the money on that visit just yet.

Also, I tried some of the earlier links for the TT410 and they did not work. Can someone e-mail it please? scotthill1969@hotmail.com
I just sent you the TT410. I would try Steve's suggestion to clean the IAC port first, as it can't hurt.

1. Spray some carb cleaner into the port while the bike is running (don't overdo it). This will suck the cleaner through the IAC port.

2. With the ignition switch on but engine not running toggle the kill switch on and off every few seconds. This will activate the IAC motor while you are spraying the cleaner. To keep the cleaner from building-up inside the manifold, stuff a small rag through the butterfly to catch the cleaner as it exits the port on the inside orifice. If too much cleaner drips into the manifold and engine it will be hard to start.

If you reverse the above steps, make sure you remove the rag from the intake before starting the engine!

If that doesn't work just replace the IAC motor ($45 MSRP). That may turn out to be the ultimate fix, but I'd like to hear more success-stories after doing this first. It has worked for me so far.

Last edited by iclick; 07-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM
WireChief
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the TT410 everyone. I will try some things this weekend and see how it goes.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I believe it, as the part number for my '07 IAC suggests that it is the same part (27658-06). Is that the same number for your bike? I talked with Jamie at Fuel Moto about this on Thursday and he says that '07s seem to be plagued by this problem more than any other year. It makes me wonder if maybe HD used a bad batch of IAC motors, and it would be interesting to compare assembly dates with others who are having the same problem. Mine has an Oct. '06 assembly date.
The build date on my '06 is 4/06

Old 07-15-2010, 03:53 PM
r.i. streetglide
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same prob with my 07 sg cleaned the air idle sensor and i havent had a problem scince

Old 07-15-2010, 04:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by r.i. streetglide
i had the same prob with my 07 sg cleaned the air idle sensor and i havent had a problem scince
Which problem, high or low idle? Did you clean the IAT sensor? How did you do it while on the bike or did you remove it first?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM
upnorthbiker
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Hivoltg,
On my Dyna it was under the starter on top of the gearbox.
One allen bolt to remove it, just cleaned the metal filings that had attached to it and refitted.
Hope this helps,
Jeff

Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Just another update, I had my ECM reflashed as per the TT410 service bulletin. I've gone better than 1300 miles since the flash and my idle problem which occurred every time I rode my bike is gone. Prior to the reflash, I replaced the TPS and set the TPS voltage with the throttle plate adjustment, cleaned out the IAC port as described in previous posts and my problem persisted (after cruising at hwy speeds, while coming to stop, idle would drop to 750 or so and then come up after the bike came to a complete stop). I've heard the ECM's on this year model were (and are) a bit twitchy. Keep in mind, this was effectively Harley's first experience using o2 sensors. That may have nothing to do with it but in closing, my problem seems to be fixed.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark
Just another update, I had my ECM reflashed as per the TT410 service bulletin. I've gone better than 1300 miles since the flash and my idle problem which occurred every time I rode my bike is gone. Prior to the reflash, I replaced the TPS and set the TPS voltage with the throttle plate adjustment, cleaned out the IAC port as described in previous posts and my problem persisted (after cruising at hwy speeds, while coming to stop, idle would drop to 750 or so and then come up after the bike came to a complete stop). I've heard the ECM's on this year model were (and are) a bit twitchy. Keep in mind, this was effectively Harley's first experience using o2 sensors. That may have nothing to do with it but in closing, my problem seems to be fixed.
You may be correct about sensor or ecm being the issue but 06 Dynas were the first year.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:44 PM
hazard
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`ve had the low ruff idle issue, mostly in cooler weather, another thing I`ve noticed is going down long hills decell, come to stop sign, take off and motor feels very lazy till about third gear, I almost think it`s something with retarded timing, I have heard the timing retards on decell so there`s not so much backfiring, seems like timing doesn`t advance back till you rev it up, for other that have high idle, timing could be little advanced causing high idle, I don`t know, just a thought.

Quick Reply: '07 Idle Issues