Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Idle Issues

Old 06-15-2010, 07:24 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bookmarked!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

me too...

Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Joker659
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to give cleaning the IAC a try and see what happens. Thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 AM
viguy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle Issues

I also been having the problem over the past year (07 roadglide +/- 35,000mi.), last year I would occasionally start the bike and it would idle high, then return to normal. then occasionally during an extended ride while coming to a stop - down shifting approaching a stop idles down to a stall, will restart with no problem. this happens for a few stops during the ride, then will not happen for a while. I cleaned the IAC ports with seafoam cleaner and throttle body after reading some of the post on similar problems, seem to be OK for a while, problem reappeared, brought it to an independant shop, they replaced the temp sensor, did not have a problem the rest of the summer. This year started riding no problems, then the stall problem appeared sporadically, I spray cleaned the ports again and the stall issue still shows up once in awhile. I feel better that I'am not the only one with this problem. Brought it back to the independant shop they checked it out and road tested it for 30 miles and said they had no issues with the bike. I plan on replacing the IAC (step motor) myself, from what I read in the service manual, it isn't that complicated. question is does the tank have to be removed to get to the two screws? any comments/suggestions on the replacement would be appreciated.

Larry

Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Talked with the foreman at Sacramento HD yesterday. I'm taking my bike in and they're reflashing the ecm with the updated "base" program. It would cost me an additional $200 (over the $50 they're charging me) to restore my stage 1 download. I told them that I'll retune myself with my PCV and to just give me the reflash. I'm taking it in this morning. Let you all know how it turns out.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bookmarked,
Same problem here "sometimes"

Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I too have have had an intermittent high idle problem. I've got just over 30K on mine and have not experienced enough of the problem to pursue a fix. But i did start to notice it earlier this year. It did it to me again this morning, approaching a stop and idle would not come down under 1800. Went on through the stop (4:15 AM and no traffic) and got on the highway. Never did have another problem with it this morning.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by viguy
I plan on replacing the IAC (step motor) myself, from what I read in the service manual, it isn't that complicated. question is does the tank have to be removed to get to the two screws? any comments/suggestions on the replacement would be appreciated.
A tech at the local HD shop who I respect told me all you need to do is raise the tank a bit to get to the bolts. I would replace the IAC if I was reasonably sure it would fix my problem, but I'm not that assured yet. If one person like you who has the high-idle problem does it and reports that it took care of the problem I would do it.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark
Talked with the foreman at Sacramento HD yesterday. I'm taking my bike in and they're reflashing the ecm with the updated "base" program. It would cost me an additional $200 (over the $50 they're charging me) to restore my stage 1 download. I told them that I'll retune myself with my PCV and to just give me the reflash. I'm taking it in this morning. Let you all know how it turns out.
Could you get some info on the flash of the "base program"? I'd like to know what this is and any details that can be provided.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a stock '07 with ~24000 miles that has had intermittent low and high idle problems. They have always occurred after I've been riding for an hour or more and never during cold starts.

I first started having high idle issues. Occasionally, when I came to a stop, the engine would "idle" as high as 2500 rpm! Blipping the throttle wouldn't help and it would at times only increase the "idle rpm". Shutting it down (I use the kill switch, then the ignition switch) and restarting wouldn't get the rpm to decrease. The only way to get it to idle at 1000 rpm was to load the engine by dragging the clutch to get the rpm down and it would stay down until I gassed it again. When it was going through one of these spells, shutting it down for 20 minutes or so would cure it but the high idle rpm would come back within a half hour of getting back on the road. Before TT-410 came out, the dealer was trying to convince me (and himself) that it was due to sticking throttle cables even though the torque on the grip was always normal and the throttle always returned to the idle stop when the engine was acting up. I would go for months without a problem and then I go through a couple hours of this routine and then it would cure itself.

I have also had intermittent low idle issues. It would start fine cold and the idle would come down to 1000 rpm and life was good. After riding an hour or so, the engine would idle at around 800 rpm or less. With the low rpm problem, sometimes it would stall when I came to a stop. At other times, it would "catch itself" and not stall but I wish it had stalled because it sounded like crap when it did it. An early symptom of low idle problems was it would hunt slowly between 1K and 800 rpms. Once it started it would just dump to 800 rpm at a stop and either stall or stumble. Like with the high idle problem, it heals itself after an hour or two of riding.

When it is having a high or low rpm spell, I don't have a problem starting it. Gas mileage is consistently in the low to mid 40's mpg.

I brought TT-410 (Thanks I-Click!) with me when I put the bike up for storage last winter. The dealer went through the steps in the TT. Essentially all they did was update the ECM calibration and adjusted the throttle position sensor voltage to .57 VDC.

So far, I haven't had any problems. The problem is, in the past it will run like a top for months and then go through a couple frustrating hours of high idle of low idle and then run for months again without an issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '07 Idle Issues