Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

An 07

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eberg
And is that what that is on the cable, the "roll off switch"?
Yes, that is the roll off switch for your cruise & has nothing to do with the TPS.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 07 was stalling sometimes, I pulled the IDS and cleaned it with brake cleaner while it was plugged in an kept turning the kill switch on and off to cycle it (read that here somewhere, thanks to who ever wrote that) and I have not had a low idle problem since. Usually when the TPS is pooched the vehicle will feel like its surging when you are holding the throttle steady. (happens in cars alot) Just for the record I had problems with the throttle roll off switch since my bike was new, had it replaced under warranty blah blah, I unplugged the dam thing years ago cruise has worked great ever since.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:37 PM
spdrcrjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I HAVE NOT replaced the TPS yet (I have a new one ready to go). After that long ride to NH and back it has not acted up since.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Black Flag
Tourer

Seems I have developed the same issue. ('07 FLHTC with 93K miles.) Riding home the other day, the idle speed kept creeping up at every stop light, until the bike was idling over 3K RPM and I'm riding a freakin' death trap! I got the bike home safely, but wow: what a ride!

Since it's a high mileage bike, I'm thinking this is not "intermittent high idle with stalling." This bike has performed flawlessly for more than 93K miles. Well, okay...I went through the initial growing pains along with iclick and many others: high heat (added an oil cooler); noisy 5th gear (switched to Redline "pink stuff") but basically, this bike has been bulletproof since it was brand new. So I don't think I need a factory re-flash of my ECM. I'm pretty sure this is a maintenance issue. As noted in my signature, this bike has a SERT.

So I installed a new TPS (I bought, and bent a brand-new T-20 screwdriver to get around those cooling fins), but the bike still has REALLY HIGH idle, over 3K RPM. I also cleaned the throttle body and the old AIC with carb cleaner (yup, gobs of black gunk came out), performed wiggle tests, unplugged several connectors, etc. I finally installed the new IAC kit yesterday (I removed the fuel tank and the top motor mount for easiest access to that back T-20 screw) Still scary high idle…and it seems to be getting higher every time I fire up the bike! (Is this a possible clue?)

I performed the Speedometer Self-Test (hold in the odometer reset button and turn on the ignition) and got the usual Trouble Codes. I also cycled the key switch 5 times w/ WOT to check for leaky injectors. That did not help either. So, after 2 new parts and 2 "reset" procedures, I’m still dead in the water. I also cleaned the metal filings and related gunk off the VSS (I went in behind the ECM instead of pulling the starter motor…seemed easier to me) and replaced the Neutral Safety Switch (unrelated issue) with no positive results. I still want to check the IAT (Intake Air Temperature Sensor), ETS (Engine Temperature Sensor), just to rule them out as possible culprits.

I'm up for suggestions, if anyone knows where I should go from here. And please don't say "the dealer!" Is there another test; cycling the turn signals, tickling the tailpipes, trading her in, for a carbureted bike? LOL. Anyhow, I'm just glad the Shovelhead is running. BTW, this is an AZ bike, it's a Dry Heat! (B-D)>

Last edited by Black Flag; 11-20-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 AM
ictdog
Intermediate

I have read through this thread and saw where a few folks have experienced SLOW idle issues but I have not heard of a solution...or I missed it.

My issue on my 07 is when the engine gets hot, after running at highway speeds and then slowing down , the idle gets real slow and occasionally it will stall. Restarting is not an issue but the slower than normal idle continues.

Has anyone solved this issue or can recommend a place to start? I am NOT a mechanic but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

In all seriousness, I can wrench a few things (remove tires, change brake pads, remove fairing, install electronics,etc...) but the engine always concerns me as to how far to go.
Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by ictdog
I have read through this thread and saw where a few folks have experienced SLOW idle issues but I have not heard of a solution...or I missed it.

My issue on my 07 is when the engine gets hot, after running at highway speeds and then slowing down , the idle gets real slow and occasionally it will stall. Restarting is not an issue but the slower than normal idle continues.

Has anyone solved this issue or can recommend a place to start? I am NOT a mechanic but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

In all seriousness, I can wrench a few things (remove tires, change brake pads, remove fairing, install electronics,etc...) but the engine always concerns me as to how far to go.
Any help would be appreciated!
Clean the IAC and replace the TPS. maybe 1/2 hour to do both.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Might not need to replace the TPS. I have an 07 with the same issue and cleaning the IAC always works.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM
ictdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Might not need to replace the TPS. I have an 07 with the same issue and cleaning the IAC always works.
Is there a proper way to do this or should I just go in feet first, hand my beer to my buddy and say, "Now, watch this..."?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Joe2010ultra
Advanced

Read through the thread , don't see intake leak checked? My old 2007 had bad idle issues , found both intake o rings bad. Easy check spay intake flange while running with wd40. If she starts smoking out the exhaust u have bad leak .

Quick Reply: '07 Idle Issues