Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Dickard
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by stating I have read this entire thread at least twice, thank you in advance for your help.

2007 Road King Classic, 16k miles. I have owned the bike for a little over a year and about 5 thousand miles. On a recent trip, after riding all day in 80/90 degree temps in varying traffic, including some extended stop and go thru congested towns with too many people that cant negotiate traffic circles correctly. We were on our way to the last stop, 20+ miles on the highway, 75-80 mph. At the off ramp/stop sign to turn left, I noticed my idle was higher than normal. (This has happened before getting off of the highway.) As we were making our way to the last stop, up and down single lane mountain roads, my idle increased even higher, not very comforting for myself or my wife. We arrived at our destination and as I parked the bike, the idle returned to normal, maybe 5 minutes since leaving the highway.

The bike sat for about an hour, then I rode home. Everything seemed ok until I came to a stop sign, and when I pulled the clutch in it stalled. WTF!?!

I did some research and found this thread. I rode it a few times since for troubleshooting purposes and the idle has never increased but has been very low at idle, to the point where I have been correcting it with the throttle. Also noticed my cruise control did not work which also led me to the IAC (stepper motor). I had the (clicking/gear sound when the ignition was turned on, which I read was probably the IAC)

I rolled the dice and purchased an idle air control kit and installed it. The idle seems better although I have not had a chance to ride it more than a few miles. However the cruise control engaged (without the indicator) one time successfully then failed on the next few attempts.

I am considering buying a throttle position sensor, but the adjustment concerns me. There is a 3 week wait to get my bike on the digital tech at several dealers.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

No adjustment needed. Just put the TPS on an go. 15 minutes and like $30.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Default tps

What he said: install and go. The tps + IAC valve change fixed the idle issues on my '07. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Dickard
Intermediate

Did either of you notice the cruise control being inop during the idle issue? Assuming you have it...

And thank you...

Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

No cruise here.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dickard
Did either of you notice the cruise control being inop during the idle issue? Assuming you have it...

And thank you...
You are going to laugh but I've never used my cruise control...so, I don't know if it was affected. Sorry.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 PM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

cruise would be a different problem. I had issues with the roll off switch on throttle cable, disconected it and its been good since. That and rear brake light switch was bad too and caused me problems.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TVan
cruise would be a different problem. I had issues with the roll off switch on throttle cable, disconected it and its been good since. That and rear brake light switch was bad too and caused me problems.
Roll off switch for me too....

Old 06-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Dickard
Intermediate

Installed the TPS Saturday morning before a benefit ride and that was the final piece of the puzzle. My idle issues are fixed. IAC kit and a TPS kit. Under 100 bucks, neither was too bad to change.

I had the typical "gear noise" from my IAC and my TPS had crap in it.

If/when this happens again, I'll definitely do both at the same time. Hell, I may stock a set in my garage to save time.

Thanks to all for the knowledge, I appreciate it!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dickard
Installed the TPS Saturday morning before a benefit ride and that was the final piece of the puzzle. My idle issues are fixed. IAC kit and a TPS kit. Under 100 bucks, neither was too bad to change.

I had the typical "gear noise" from my IAC and my TPS had crap in it.

If/when this happens again, I'll definitely do both at the same time. Hell, I may stock a set in my garage to save time.

Thanks to all for the knowledge, I appreciate it!!!
Its worth it to keep a spare TPS. Aint that much $$$.

Quick Reply: '07 Idle Issues