Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:51 AM
bkmarsha
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having low idle and stall issues on my 2007 street glide.

My breather tubes do not look the same as the ones referenced in several pictures. I believe this because i am running the stock air box. This leads me to think the issue is not related to "gunk" or build up on the IAC.

After reading every post is sounds like replacing the TPS should be one of my first attempts to resolve the issue.

Someone please correct me if I'm way our in left field. This is my first Harley and I've had it less than a month.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

You should actually clean the IAC first, after all it is FREE and that is most likely your problem. If that does not fix it move on from there.

Just to let you know, when I had the same problem as you there was no obvious buildup but after cleaning the problem disappeared. So "obvious" buildup is not needed to cause the problems you are having.

Last edited by perki48; 07-13-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Black Flag
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This issue was resolved for me at the dealer. **UGH** At 94K miles, the first time my bike had returned to the dealer since I bought it new!

Anyhow, I replaced the TPS and IAC (high idle issue) along with the Neutral Safety Switch (unrelated issue) and still had the scary high idle.

So the dealer service tech informed me that the only thing I forgot to do was to ADJUST the stepper motor. OMG did I NOT notice that in the installation instructions?!?

Well, he said he used a millivolt electrical tester to get the correct setting (I forgot the range) so - 2 hours of shop time later - she is purring like a kitten again.

I just rolled the odometer last month (100K miles YIPPEE!) and the old girl is still running like new. BTW this was the first and only issue I have ever had with my bike, besides burning through back tires and front brake pads like there's no tomorrow...

Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 AM
bkmarsha
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it is worth a try....only cost is bottle of cleaner. Probably even have one laying around the garage.

Based on posts gentle spray or q-tip is best cleaning method correct??

Port is located just outside the butterfly at the 12oclock position??

Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Correct, and cycle the ignition while you are doing it. I turn on the key and use the kill switch. You will hear a small click.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Flag
This issue was resolved for me at the dealer. **UGH** At 94K miles, the first time my bike had returned to the dealer since I bought it new!

Anyhow, I replaced the TPS and IAC (high idle issue) along with the Neutral Safety Switch (unrelated issue) and still had the scary high idle.

So the dealer service tech informed me that the only thing I forgot to do was to ADJUST the stepper motor. OMG did I NOT notice that in the installation instructions?!?

Well, he said he used a millivolt electrical tester to get the correct setting (I forgot the range) so - 2 hours of shop time later - she is purring like a kitten again.

I just rolled the odometer last month (100K miles YIPPEE!) and the old girl is still running like new. BTW this was the first and only issue I have ever had with my bike, besides burning through back tires and front brake pads like there's no tomorrow...

Stepper Motor voltage adjustment worked for high/low and stalling problem for me, too. The spec is 0.57V. Bulletin TT410 has some good information on '07 idle issues. I would attach a copy of it to this post but I'm not sure if I can and I don't know how to attach a PDF document.

I "Googled" tt410 and it was there as the first listing on the search.

Last edited by Woodchuck; 07-13-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Found the bulletin with Google
Old 09-29-2015, 11:32 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
iclick, low idle only.
What is an IAC? Just the name - I can figure it out from there. Thanks
Idle Air Control

Old 04-13-2016, 05:36 PM
bellmnbell
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2007 FLHX - Random Low Idle/Stall

Thank you for addressing this issue thoroughly. I am posting photos of my Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) replacement and am including the tear-down of the faulty TPS unit to potentially identify the cause of the failure. Also, I tested the ohms along the electrical ribbon (image TPS 6) and was able to determine that the ribbon still functioned. I hope this helps with any open questions. Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails '07 Idle Issues-tps-1-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-2-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-3-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-4-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-5-.jpg  

'07 Idle Issues-tps-6-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-7-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-8-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-9-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-10-.jpg  

'07 Idle Issues-tps-11-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-12-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-13-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-14-.jpg   '07 Idle Issues-tps-15-.jpg  

Last edited by bellmnbell; 04-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
soft 02 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:02 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

A very informative post and photos. Thanks & welcome.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Montamayor
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I'm starting a new thread on this topic because I think it deserves one. Over the past few months I've emailed probably 20-30 PDF copies of HD's TT410 that addresses idle issues on '07 bikes, and new problems and requests pop up nearly every day. This tech tip bulletin covers low-idle problems, but I'm having a sporadic high idle issue.

In my case the bike will occasionally--maybe once every couple of weeks in winter, less-often in summer--start-up idling at around 2000 rpms. This started late last summer. No amount of throttle blipping will make it idle down to its usual 950 rpms, and if I don't stop the bike it will stay idling at that level until I turn it off. Usually I can turn it off at the handlebar switch, then off at the ignition switch, and when restarted will usually idle normally for the rest of the day and probably for quite a few days thereafter. For me it is more of an irritation than a real problem.

OTOH I have had a very few cases (maybe 3-4 over the last year) of poor idle that causes it to idle low and roughly, usually for only a short time that clears up on its own. It's never died during one of these rare spells, though. A tech at the local HD shop that I respect has an '07 and said he fixed his problems by replacing the IAC valve on the throttle body. I tried spraying some carb cleaner and lubricant into the IAC orifice just inside the throttle body and that seemed to help for a short time. A second application didn't seem to help, so I'm not sure my particular problem involves a sticky IAC valve. If I thought it was I'd swap it out in a second. If this was the culprit I would think blipping the throttle and/or just riding the bike would shake it loose, but it doesn't.

Someone on one of these threads mentioned that a download existed from HD that helped with these idling problems, but I haven't been able to verify this. Dawg? Hogdoc? Have you or any of our other resident techs ever heard of this?

Anyway, maybe by starting a specific thread on this issue we'll make some headway in finding out how to fix these problems, as it is affecting many '07 owners.

Anyone commenting on this topic please mention whether it is low- or high-idle, what you've tried to fix it, and if anything has worked.
I saw your comment is about 5 years ago.. Any way I have the problem mostly on low idle, but my engine when in this condition "stall". I know when this is going to happen because the exhaust sounds different like having a lean mixture at that time. A quick fix is when still decelerating push the kill switch on second and then engine goes to normal. So it is not any mechanical thing. That was not so often but now it is everytime I ride it. Very annoying. If anybody knows a solution I will appreciate it most.

Quick Reply: '07 Idle Issues