Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM
freedom_ride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true duals

I have been on the fence about this for 2 weeks trying to decide weather or not to buy the true dual exhaust after purchasing the Kuryakyn crusher mufflers. I decided it was the right move after emailing back and forth with the Kuryakyn staff. I love the mufflers after hearing them on another 2010 Ultra. After installing the mufflers alone, I was disapointed that the sound was too quiet. Kuryakyn told me to get the sound that I am looking for I need to intall the true dual headers part #476. I went ahead and bought them and should get them this week. I hope that they are right and this will also get rid of that heat that is burning the **** out of my right leg from that damn cat converter. Anyone else have this combination? Likes or dislikes?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Vance & Hines Monster Ovals on my '08 Ultra with the stock head pipes and the sound was good but I wanted a little more volume and stereo sound. I recently added Vance Tru-Duals and they made the Monsters sound about perfect. As for heat, I already had XiEDs on the Ultra so I didn't notice a significant reduction in heat (haven't had heat issues since adding XiEDs) but I'm sure getting the Cat. out of the way will get rid of a huge amount of heat on the '10s. Make sure to get new exhaust gaskets from the dealer and take your time.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

have true duals and love them, you will like the sound, not sure on heat

Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
dakajun
Cruiser

Just installed V&H Dresser Duals and Monster Ovals and put right at a thousand miles on them. Sound great and got rid of all the heat near my right ankle. Got all the stuff from Fuel Moto and I'm runnign two maps, one for mileage and one for cooling and performance. Does get a little warm on the hamstring when running the mileage map, but that's usually on a long highway run and it's not something that's unbearable. All in all, very happy that I went the route that I did. Not sure about the Kuryakyn stuff, but I'm sure you'll be very happy after all is said and done.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM
tatt2zzz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fewe
I had Vance & Hines Monster Ovals on my '08 Ultra with the stock head pipes and the sound was good but I wanted a little more volume and stereo sound. I recently added Vance Tru-Duals and they made the Monsters sound about perfect. As for heat, I already had XiEDs on the Ultra so I didn't notice a significant reduction in heat (haven't had heat issues since adding XiEDs) but I'm sure getting the Cat. out of the way will get rid of a huge amount of heat on the '10s. Make sure to get new exhaust gaskets from the dealer and take your time.
With the monster oval slipons on the stock pipes did you have to remap the engine. I also have XiEDs on my 08 ultra and i'm thinking of MO's also. And when you went to tru-duals, did you do any other changes?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't mention a fuel management system, do you have one? If not, adding one like the PCV, SEST, or any of the others will richen up your air-fuel-ratio, which in turn will cool your engine down and make it run better.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Fewe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tatt2zzz
With the monster oval slipons on the stock pipes did you have to remap the engine. I also have XiEDs on my 08 ultra and i'm thinking of MO's also. And when you went to tru-duals, did you do any other changes?
No remap with the Monsters... already had the XiEDs when I added the slip-ons. The XiEDs richen the fuel mixture from the stock 14.7:1 to 13.8:1 thus drastically reducing the heat from the pipes and motor. When I added the duals I didn't make any other changes/ adjustments. I am still running the stock intake with the stock filter but my understanding is that if I was to switch to a Stage 1 I would still be fine with the XiEDs. That is actually the reason I went with the XiEDs instead of the iEDs.