Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Solo Seat Setup. Mustang Vintage

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New Solo Seat Setup. Mustang Vintage

The Big Brown truck arrived to day with my order from Denis Kirk which included.

1. Mustang Vintage Solo Seat W/Driver Backrest
2. Mustang Seat mounting screws
3. Mustang Rear Fender Bib
4. Motherwell Gunfighter Solo Luggage Rack.

I was running a HD Sundowner 2 up seat. Here are a couple of comparison pics of the two seats side by side.

Front View.

Side View.

Side View 2.

As you can see from the pic's the Mustang is narrower then the Sundowner and has a lower profile also.

Now for some pic's on the bike.

With out Backrest.

And a rear view of the seat without the Backrest.

And a couple with the backrest attached.

And a rear view with backrest.

Looks like I'm going to have to send the luggage rack back due to a flaw in the chrome in a couple of places.

Other than the flaw on the luggage rack I'm very pleased with everything.

I took the bike out for a short 20 mile or so ride to check it out.

First impression was that it felt smaller than the Sundowner. I took a few miles to kind of get use to it. Once I got the backrest adjusted right which by the way you can do on the fly while ride by turning the adjustment screw in or out, the ride felt a little better.

The Mustang feels harder than the Sundowner which after reading other reviews I was expecting. Hoping like others have said after a few miles the seat or my butt will break in and it will feel more comfortable.

The Mustang did seem to bring me up just a bit over the Sundowner and a little bit more forward but not enough to where I felt uncomfortable (I'm 5' 11" with a 30" inseam).

As for the backrest boy does it make a difference. You just slip in into the seat. Which brings me to a couple of concerns.

1. The backrest will only go into the seat so far. In the pics I have it at the lowest it will go. You can push it down further and there are more adjustment stops but when the part of the backrest which houses the adjustment screw hits the seat pushing it lower just causes it to pop back up. No concern for me since where it is in the pic is perfect for me.

2. Easy on means easy off as well. I don't believe there is anyway you can secure it so a word to the wise if you purchase one be sure to remove the backrest if you want it to be there when you get back to your bike.

Anyway I'm looking forward to putting in a long ride over the weekend to see how the new seat feels for more than just a few miles.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. I had a mustang on my wide glide and am looking to get one for my 09 Road King...I loved my mustang seat...hope I like the new one.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice, I would like to take one like that for a ride sometime. I am looking hard at the Mustang Solo, with a passenger pillion. I need to figure out what I want,, The only thing I know is, I DON'T want to be that person who buys 5 seats before they find the right one! LOL

Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 PM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same seat without the back rest and the seat sooo comfortable!!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM
cballweg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be very interested to hear your measurements and how you like the seat. I always used and loved Mustangs on my Hondas, but at 5' 10" and 30 inch inseam, I was concerned that the Mustang seat would move me too far back and up and make the seat to hand grip reach uncomfortable as it was with the original seat and Sundowner replacement. Tried the Reach seat and it did move me forward which took care of the ache between my shoulders, but all my weight was on my thighs rather than my butt and I could hardly walk the next day. Returned it and replaced with a Dyna Glide seat which just may work out...

Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 429 Likes on 176 Posts

I have the same seat and luggage rack. The luggage rack is actually very functional unlike the regular curved motherwell racks. I like the fact that the luggage rack is flat and has the little rings on each corner so a bungee cord doesn't move around.

I have taken two trips totalling around 5000 miles with this setup and it worked fine. I did have a little problem on my first trip. I strapped my bag to the rack and backrest and started out on a 3500 mile trip. About 10 minutes into the ride I realized that the bag was about 1/4" from the lid on my saddlebags. I went into Home Depot and bought two pieces of 1 x 5 pressure treated wood to put between the rack and the bag to raise the bag up. It worked for the trip but the wood would move around.

Now I made a little platform that I attach to the rack with eletrical ties. It is about 12" x 14" and it I can open my saddlebags even with the bag attached to the bikel. The platform raises the bag a good 1 1/2" to 2" above the saddlebags.

I secure the bag with two nylon straps that I attach to the chrome dodads that used to hold the seat grab strap and a couple of bungee cords from the back of the bag to the luggage rack. The bag I have is a decent size, attaches very, very securely to the bike in about 60 seconds and is not very tall so it doesn't affect the feel of the bike. Between the bag and my two saddlebags I can pack enough stuff for a week or two on the road.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I just ordered mine today from a friend at a shop got it for $100.00 less then ordering through HD or Mustang. I am 6ft with a 36 inseam so I want all the moving back I can get. My next thing will have to be changing out the bars because I will be reaching too far forward. Seat will be in Friday....I will let you know.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get the rear fender cover and does it cover all the marring made by the stock pillion? That setup looks great and there are times I would like to take the pillion off but it looks like crap under there.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master

Originally Posted by strtarrow
Where did you get the rear fender cover and does it cover all the marring made by the stock pillion? That setup looks great and there are times I would like to take the pillion off but it looks like crap under there.
Actually I was expecting there to be more than there was which is why I went ahead and ordered it with everything else. Only had a couple of small scratches and a little bit of marring. A little bit of scratch remove took care of the majority of it but since I had already order the bib and like to looks decided to go ahead a install it.

The cover or rear fender bib is also from Mustang Part #78035
http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=1046

Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master

Originally Posted by cballweg
Would be very interested to hear your measurements and how you like the seat. I always used and loved Mustangs on my Hondas, but at 5' 10" and 30 inch inseam, I was concerned that the Mustang seat would move me too far back and up and make the seat to hand grip reach uncomfortable as it was with the original seat and Sundowner replacement. Tried the Reach seat and it did move me forward which took care of the ache between my shoulders, but all my weight was on my thighs rather than my butt and I could hardly walk the next day. Returned it and replaced with a Dyna Glide seat which just may work out...
cballweg,
I'm bout 5' 11" 230 lbs and also with a 30 inch inseam. I'm still getting use to the seat. Not that the Mustang is uncomfortable just firmer than the Sundowner and since the Sundowner fit my butt like a glove this one will take a little getting use to.

Like stated in my original post the Mustang seems to raise me up just a bit but I have no problem placing both feet flat on the ground.

On the ride in to work today I noticed that my knees were at a more comfortable angle for me also.

Quick Reply: New Solo Seat Setup. Mustang Vintage