Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler drain

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default oil cooler drain

when you change the oil and filter on your harley, do you get the old oil out of oil cooler? is there a drain on the bottom of oil cooler? as low as cooler mounts...it seems that dirt and trash would settle in bottom of cooler. does anyone disconnect hoses and blow out the oil cooler when changing oil?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I would not worry about it as the amount of oil sitting in the cooler is inconsequential at most. If you are really that concerned then you will have to get one of those power flushing systems out there!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much to settle there. as soon as the engine fires up anything down there would immediately be pushed forward in the system.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
when you change the oil and filter on your harley, do you get the old oil out of oil cooler? is there a drain on the bottom of oil cooler? as low as cooler mounts...it seems that dirt and trash would settle in bottom of cooler. does anyone disconnect hoses and blow out the oil cooler when changing oil?
Like the others said, too little oil to worry about and nothing is going to "settle" in the cooler. I don't know of anyone who purges the cooler during oil changes and I feel it is severe overkill that won't amount to any measurable advantage.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
lipster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you worry about this, you have to buy a BMW.
On that forum, they argue things like if 12 hours is enough time to drain A L L the oil out.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so, what model BMW do you recommend? does vance and hines offer louder exhausts for them. BMWs fly by me all the time...and they are so damn quiet!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lipster
If you worry about this, you have to buy a BMW.
On that forum, they argue things like if 12 hours is enough time to drain A L L the oil out.
Man 12 hours is ridiculous! I've never gone over 6 hours with my Camaro

Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad somebody finally asked that question, glad to know I wasnt the only one! I also spent time searching on if the oil cooler being added required any additional oil during the refill changing the oil... Thanks!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck with the BMW.......Go with the GoldWing 5 minutes to completly drain oil and change filter, add 4 quarts of AmsOil 10W30 synthetic motorcycle oil and you're good for 15K with and no mess.

Bike is fast, quiet, smooth, handles like a sport bike and will blow a Harley away including any SE and quietly do it.

My 08 Ultra SE3 sits in the garage now that I have my 09 GoldWing......awesome !!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo
heck with the bmw.......go with the goldwing 5 minutes to completly drain oil and change filter, add 4 quarts of amsoil 10w30 synthetic motorcycle oil and you're good for 15k with and no mess.

Bike is fast, quiet, smooth, handles like a sport bike and will blow a harley away including any se and quietly do it.

My 08 ultra se3 sits in the garage now that i have my 09 goldwing......awesome !!

blasphemy!!!!

Quick Reply: oil cooler drain