Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Gear Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 AM
LV_EOD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gear Slipping

Finally back on the road on a 2010 FLHR after totalling my 09 last October. Got her home Monday but didn't do any "real" riding until yesterday (work is the curse of the drinking man).

Anyways, she's a beauty, but it seems to slip in 5th gear. 1st thru 4th has that head snap feel when you gun it, but in 5th, the revs come up and the bike just sorta catches up to engine speed smooth and gradual (happens 45 - 65 mph range). Never happened on my 09. Anyone else experiencing this? Might it be part of the tranny changes to 5th gear for 2010? Dealer service guy says I should be downshiftng to pass at that speed. It's not lugging at all, the engine speed quiet obviously goes up when you crack the throttle, it just takes a while for me and the bike to match it.

I'll be sure to mention it to them when the service is due, so they can replicate it on the check-ride.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Sounds like the clutch slipping, I would'nt wait to check it

Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Gears" don't slip no matter how they are cut. Your clutch needs to be adjusted like dpete said, and then you need to go do a different dealer if they think slipping in 5th is normal and the remedy is downshifting.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:44 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had mine for several months now, but I did have some issues with the tranny during break-in. Shifting was hard with lots of noise. Neutral was a pain in the butt because you'd shift right through to second gear, then drop back down to first and try again, and again and again.

But, it was like a new bike when I did the 1000 mi service. I had the dealer do it and switched out all three holes with SYN3, seriously, the tranny settled right down. Finding neutral is a breeze now. And I noticed that a lot of the little pings and minor engine noises went away.

I don't notice any big changes with the new helical cut fifth gear. It still whins when I use it to down shift.

I have just over 3000 mi on it now and going great.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:04 AM
paguy
Road Captain

Congrats on new bike. Like the others I think your clutch is slipping. Manual advise setting clutch cold. You may want to leave it at the shop overnight.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 AM
BackAt5O
Tourer

Does the green 6 light turn off when you accelerate hard in 6th gear? If so, your clutch is slipping.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 AM
LV_EOD
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. Never one to be scared by my own stupidity, all I will say is...if you change out your brake and clutch levers, double check for that 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play on the clutch cable, take it for a spin...then double check it again.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont make no sense at all, true, Gears dont slip no matter what gear, but why would a clutch slip in 5th gear and not gears 1-4? the clutch would in fact slip in all gears if it was slipping, Especially in a low gear like 1st and 2nd with heavy power, yet he has head snapping feel when yhe gun it?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Dont make no sense at all, true, Gears dont slip no matter what gear, but why would a clutch slip in 5th gear and not gears 1-4? the clutch would in fact slip in all gears if it was slipping, Especially in a low gear like 1st and 2nd with heavy power, yet he has head snapping feel when yhe gun it?
The load on the engine/drivetrain is greater in the higher gears. You're fighting wind resistance and taller gear ratios.
When the clutch went on an earlier bike I had it first started slipping in 5th but no problems in the lower gears.

Jim

Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by laytonj1
The load on the engine/drivetrain is greater in the higher gears. You're fighting wind resistance and taller gear ratios.
When the clutch went on an earlier bike I had it first started slipping in 5th but no problems in the lower gears.

Jim
yeah, now that i think about it your correct. lower gear dont turn nearly as fast would not slip.

Quick Reply: 5th Gear Slipping