Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08/RKC needs oil cooler....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM
tenn.vol.
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 08/RKC needs oil cooler....

Are the 2 large allen plugs in the oil filter base where I can hook up
a HD oil cooler?? And if so does anyone have a part # for such cooler?
Tenn.Vol.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Yes. RJ's originals (zoood here on the forum) sells the ultra cool oil cooler which is a great little fan assisted unit. I would check with him. If you stick with the HD unit it is pn#26155-07 for your bike

Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The plugs are the holes made during the machining process of the filter head, if you use those for a cooler you will bypass the filter (path of least resistance) . An oi l cooler kit will have a head adapter to run lines to both sides of the filter or supply and return.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tenn.vol.
Are the 2 large allen plugs in the oil filter base where I can hook up a HD oil cooler?? And if so does anyone have a part # for such cooler?
Tenn.Vol.
As Bagman said, those plugs are not for use with an oil cooler. All coolers come with their own adapters, usually in the form of a device that fits between the oil filter and its stock housing.

Here's the listing for the HD cooler. There are other brands available, too, like Jagg and the Ultracool mentioned by Dawg.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you have a cooler like that for an oil change do you have to run the bike after draining the crankcase to get the oil out of the cooler? Thanks

Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That does not sound like a good idea.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM
#1 fireman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 RKC and I used the filter adapter and then tapped my crash bars works great could tell the diffrence rite off . I checked the temps in and out on a trip to Aderondacks this summer and I was getting a temp drop of 30 to 50 deg f. I also picked up an extra quart of oil witch is the big winner when you get stuck in traffic .

Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by #1 fireman
I have an 07 RKC and I used the filter adapter and then tapped my crash bars works great could tell the diffrence rite off . I checked the temps in and out on a trip to Aderondacks this summer and I was getting a temp drop of 30 to 50 deg f. I also picked up an extra quart of oil witch is the big winner when you get stuck in traffic .
The only drawback to doing that is if you ever dropped your bike and cracked a welded joint or crushed the bar where it leaked youd be screwed.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
The only drawback to doing that is if you ever dropped your bike and cracked a welded joint or crushed the bar where it leaked youd be screwed.
I also have a real problem with wondering what kind of crud is present inside that crash bar just waiting to mix with the oil. I'm not sure how it could be cleaned sufficiently to give me enough peace of mind. You could install a temporary oil filter at that point and run the bike a while, then remove it once you feel that it has filtered the crud out. Also, if the oil goes to the filter after it circulates in the crash-bar it would make me feel a lot better, but I think it works just the opposite. Also, Jagg told me that using this method would put a strain on the oil pump by pushing the extra oil through the crash-bar, and that would seem to be a realistic concern to me. Before we consider that Jagg will lose sales if people do this mod, they also advised against buying one of their coolers to work in tandem with my HD unit (i.e. two coolers) for the same reason, so I think their advice should be taken seriously.

As for the leakage problem after an accident, you could carry a nipple with two male hose connections of the right size to reconnect the two hoses in an emergency.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
When you have a cooler like that for an oil change do you have to run the bike after draining the crankcase to get the oil out of the cooler? Thanks
I've heard of people doing this but I think it's a bad idea. In the first place, the cooler holds very little oil, and secondly while you're running the bike with the oil drained you'll have no oil pressure. The only items using oil pressure per se are the lifters and, in the case of late-model TC engines, the outer cam bearings. I wouldn't want to starve either for even a few extra seconds of running just to drain a few extra ounces of old oil. You'll be doing that when you re-crank after changing the oil, but the less you do it the better. Just my 2¢.

Quick Reply: 08/RKC needs oil cooler....