Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Road King losing power abruptly at 60 mph please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Road King losing power abruptly at 60 mph please help!

Sorry for the double post ( I posted in touring parts for sale)

My buddies 1999 Road King is having a case of asthema, it starts and runs fine but at 60 Mph or so the bike starts losing power till the point where to the point that if he keeps twisting the throttle it will stall. This started happening a few weeks ago and I suggested he clean his air filter and throttle body and replace his plugs, he cleaned his plugs, air filter and throttle body that day and the bike started up great! He decided to buy new plugs and wires the next day and bought se plug wires and se plugs, installed those items and his bike ran better than when he originally bought it, yesterday I get a call that his bike quit on The highway so I load up the ramp and head on down to pick him up, 3/4 of the wAy down I see him pass me so I turn around and head back home. Upon entering the drive way he's sitting there and can't get his bike started so we push it on down to his house we are both scratching our heads, I suggest that he pull his plugs and replace it with his old ones, he does and the bike fires up problem solved ( the se plugs where bone white = lean condition) anyways bikes running fine and today same **** starts happening bike begins to cut out at 60 mph. Does anyone have ideas? Maybe fuel filter? Injectors need cleaned? What could be the culprit? Bike has 28000 miles fuel injected and ran great prior to a few weeks ago. Any and All help would be appreciated!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:26 AM
Garcou
Club Member

Also, just prior to things going south he used some fuel injection cleaner prior to a 850 miles trip hence my suggestion of cleaning the injectors

Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Garcou
Club Member

Anyone?

Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Glidiator
Cruiser

Search for trouble codes on the site. There is a post that shows how to check for diagnosed trouble codes with a menu of what the codes mean. That would be a start

Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

That sort of sounds like the fuel tank is not venting causing a vacuum lock. On a fuel injected system I am not sure what the vent system for the tank would be. Try loosening the fuel cap and go ride (staying close to home) and see if it changes.

Otherwise I believe you could have a clogged filter or even a loose or leaking internal fuel tank line or even a faulty pump. Although it concerns me that it ran fine for awhile after changing plugs. If you are able to do a spark check immediately after it dies that would tell you which way to go on that.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

And by the way Garcou, where are your footboards/pegs at on the bike you have pictured? I keep scratching my head trying to figure out where you put your feet!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Garcou
Club Member

LOL! Good eye! I took that picture after I did my cams

Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Garcou
Club Member

Thought I'd drop a note and close this thread, got it all figured out, turns out it was leaking intake gaskets, took about 3.5 hours to change em out and clean everything, he says his bike is running stronger than the day he bought it (used with 25000 miles).