Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Using the PTT button for a garage door opener?

I pulled my CB module out of the fairing on my 08 Ultra since we've never used it, and would not use it in the future (had to free up some room for an amp for the stereo, it was the logical place to put it). My question is the PTT and SQ switch is now totally useless, and I was thinking perhaps there would be a way to wire in a garage door opener to this switch and get some very beneficial use...the wife is tired of hopping off and opening the garage door when we get back home

Anyways, has anybody here done something like this? I'm not totally inept, but would love to hear some thoughts or read a walk through of how to pull something like this off if anybody else has done this.

Ride your own ride. To hell what anybody else says.
Quit your bitchin'. Thousands die daily from no food or water. Appreciate what you got.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Hang Around

Great idea. I'll be following this thread. right now, I use a Genie keychain opener that I keep in the windsheild bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Using the PTT button for a garage door opener?-genie-garage-opener_2084_1448768.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
Great idea. I'll be following this thread. right now, I use a Genie keychain opener that I keep in the windsheild bag.
I wish I had a Genie in bag...I just have a complainer on the back now

Ride your own ride. To hell what anybody else says.
Quit your bitchin'. Thousands die daily from no food or water. Appreciate what you got.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Road Captain

I used the SE electronic bag lock switch and it works great. I would think any momentary contact switch would work.

'08 Street Glide Crimson Red Sunglo, ABS, Rineharts, S&S ac, 18" Reaper front, chrome front end, Custom Brawler seat, EZ Brake and ...
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
One Of The Regulars

While sitting in a doctor's office I saw an ad for a garage door opener that is similar to the HD garage door opener. The main difference is the cost of this one is $80. Web site is www.f2ptechnologies.com. Attaches to the high beam wiring, without cutting any wires, and you hit the high beams twice.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Road Captain

Mine cost me $30 and a little time. $18 for the switch and $12 for the opener.

'08 Street Glide Crimson Red Sunglo, ABS, Rineharts, S&S ac, 18" Reaper front, chrome front end, Custom Brawler seat, EZ Brake and ...
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_brown View Post
While sitting in a doctor's office I saw an ad for a garage door opener that is similar to the HD garage door opener. The main difference is the cost of this one is $80. Web site is www.f2ptechnologies.com. Attaches to the high beam wiring, without cutting any wires, and you hit the high beams twice.
Will have to check this out further; would like something other than a garage remote in my pocket or Tour-Pak. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 PM

I drilled a hole in the inner fairing and installed an odometer reset switch with the waterproof rubber boot. Wired the 12V remote into the switch and viola!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawg View Post
I drilled a hole in the inner fairing and installed an odometer reset switch with the waterproof rubber boot. Wired the 12V remote into the switch and viola!

Same here, 1 for each door:

Click the image to open in full size.

2007 Street Glide
1990 Softail Custom
Gone but not forgotten....1997 Heritage Springer

PGR # 159634
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Road Warrior

http://www.autoswitch.com/

This is what I used
paul
1 Peter 5:10 NIV
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM

P