Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding rear speakers to my Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I added the rear speakers, intercom, and CB to my '08 Classic. It turns out it was a waste of money since my wife doesn't ride with me. It was expensive and mostly useless for me as a solo rider.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
ears
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hay thanks yall,, im lookin at also replacing the stock head unit with another. what should i look for. will any head unit due? ive heard both get a marine head unit and dont worry about it. i can see the benafits in having the marine head unit but if its pointless then im not going to waste my time or money with it. i also see alot of sony head units for sale.... what other options do i have here. i wont buy a sony, in my experience theyre just garbage.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Last week, I added the HogTunes rear speaker and amp kit. I have J&M 7.25 speakers up front and installed the HogTunes in the rear pods, figuring those were better than the stock HD speakers. The HogTunes amp powers the J&Ms and the stock HK amp drives the rear speakers.

Installation is simple (as simple it can be in a Road Glide) I like the sound quality and the volume level and clarity are impressive at highway speed.
Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I added the rear speakers, intercom, and CB to my '08 Classic. It turns out it was a waste of money since my wife doesn't ride with me. It was expensive and mostly useless for me as a solo rider.
One thing to remember. The original poster of this thread has a 2005 Electra Glide.
It is the last year of the Radio made by Radio Sound, (76164-04) Not the one made by Harman/Kardon (76160-06).
It does not have the outputs and Fader built in the radio.
The only way to get these is to up grade to the Ultra Radio (76146-04).

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 07-14-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added the HogTunes kit to my 05 last year and I'm very pleased. It sounds great and was easy to install. From what I understand, the Radio Sound units did not have enough power to run 4 speakers. The stock 05 Ultras had amps located under the tour pak to run the rear speakers.

The HogTunes install has you move the stock speakers to the rear pods and put the HogTunes speakers in the faring. The radio powers the rear speakers and the HogTunes amp powers the front speakers. The hardest part of the install was mounting the rear pods. ( Measure 5 times then hold your breath when you drill - LOL )

The harness that came with my kit to connect the rear pods had a connector located near the pods for removable tour paks. Mounting the pods and routing the harness under the tank were the most difficult parts. The rest was plug-n-play.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
The stock 05 Ultras had amps located under the tour Pak to run the rear speakers.
No, the Ultra models had two additional amplified outputs for the rear speakers.

There was an Amp available in the Accessory Catalog for under the Tour Pak. It was just to make more sound because it could be a little low when traveling at highway speeds.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Enforcer419
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
I added the HogTunes kit to my 05 last year and I'm very pleased. It sounds great and was easy to install. From what I understand, the Radio Sound units did not have enough power to run 4 speakers. The stock 05 Ultras had amps located under the tour pak to run the rear speakers.

The HogTunes install has you move the stock speakers to the rear pods and put the HogTunes speakers in the faring. The radio powers the rear speakers and the HogTunes amp powers the front speakers. The hardest part of the install was mounting the rear pods. ( Measure 5 times then hold your breath when you drill - LOL )

The harness that came with my kit to connect the rear pods had a connector located near the pods for removable tour paks. Mounting the pods and routing the harness under the tank were the most difficult parts. The rest was plug-n-play.
This is precisely the information I was looking for. Sounds like a late fall/early winter project. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and input.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Ultra GI
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wanting to put the removable tour pak on my Ultra, but wanting to keep the sound. So I am thinking about going with loud lids. Might be the solution to your problem as well.

http://www.loudlids.com/products.html

I think they look nice, and still save the storage space in the bags.