Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding rear speakers to my Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Enforcer419
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding rear speakers to my Electra Glide Classic

I should have seen this coming and went with an Ultra, but the wife now wants to hear the radio better when she is with me on the EGC. So how difficult is it or what is my best option to add the rear speakers to my bike? Look forward to any advice that you can give.
1) Bike is an '05 Electra Glide Classic
2) Not getting rid of the wife.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 AM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hog-tunes makes an add on rear speaker kit. Not certain, but I'm pretty sure an amp is required for any add on.

http://www.hogtunes.com/shopping/98-05_Classic.html

The only kit from Harley I found was for 06' and later.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

There must be other kits to add rear speakers and pods, just a starting point

Nate

Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are basically two routes to take.
One, you can get a HogTunes that add the rear speakers as a "Package" kit for a price.

Or two, you can go the route (or kind of route) I took. (this is where you can save the Big Bucks if you are any good with working on your ride) Go to eBay, or some motorcycle salvage yard and get some Speaker housings with the upholstery torn up. The more tattered, the cheaper you can get them for. Find some OEM speakers for sale on eBay. Next get the Upholstery for it (I used Junes Upholstery on eBay). Then Get out the service manual. Look at the wiring schematics. Find the pins that are output for the speakers. The standard Radio does not have separate pins for rear, so you will need to tap the front to make it work.
If you do this you will have the rear speakers and save a ton of money. You can add an amp and get more sound too.

This is just to add the rear speakers yourself. If you want all of the rest, Good Luck. You can't add the CB and if you want the intercom or Factory rear speakers, you will need to change the radio to an Ultra radio. I looked at the Harley web site. I can't find the add-on speaker kit for the Radio Sound system (that is who made your radio, and 2005 was the last year).

Let me know If you want to spend the bucks to go the Harley Factory way. Harley still does sell the Ultra Radio for your year. When I get home, I will look in one of my older Accessory Catalogs and find the part numbers of the earlier systems (if there is one). This way you can look to see if any Harley dealer has them.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 07-14-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 AM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There ya go, sounds like he's been there done that. Knows a lot more than I do. I added the in the tour pak 12X cd changer to get my rears working on my 01' EGC. What PITA that was.

Nate

PS The Hog-Tunes kit from them direct runs $499 + S&H

Last edited by BAGGERNATE; 07-14-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: PS
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your best options are find a set on Ebay (you never know what you'll get 'quality wise'), a Drag Specialties dealer (some of our forum sponsers like Dr V-Twin, Phat Performance,ect), or email / call PEZ directly at @ Hogtunes. He WILL answer any questions you'll have. Being you have a 2005, you'll need different speakers than the 2006 and up bikes.

Here is a link to Hogtunes Members Deal Webpage. I believe PEZ gives discounts to HD Forum Members.

I have the Biketronics kit on my Standard, but my speakers and HogPod tweeters came directly from Pez.

Hope this helps...

Billy G

Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The HD p/n for the rear speaker kit (with pods, speakers, amp, and harness) for '98-'05 EG's is 77167-98. List price is $516.99, but they show up on Ebay for significantly less.

Probably the easiest solution is to buy the Hogtunes rear speaker kit with amp. You can buy pods-only (from Eglidegoodies for example), add speakers of your choice (that are compatible with your radio), and buy or fab the harness as Ultra89 mentioned.

Good luck with your research and project.

Carl

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM
ears
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a good question... and im not too savey with bike stereo systems but ive played with my fare share of car audi.

say i want to put speakers in the rear trunk on an 03 road glide. it wounds like it would be a similar setup. but i was thinking....

i personnaly do not keep the rear trunk on the bike. i put it on along with all the passenger creature comforts when i plan on taking the wife with me. so, im thinking that the speakers in the side bags would not be good enough for her.... shes one of those,,, lol..

so putting the speakers in the rear trunk,, maybe i could add a weather pack connector somewhere near the trunk mount. and lengthen the wires from the trunk mount to plug it in when its actually on the bike... opinions... how do you think this would work out??

Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Last week, I added the HogTunes rear speaker and amp kit. I have J&M 7.25 speakers up front and installed the HogTunes in the rear pods, figuring those were better than the stock HD speakers. The HogTunes amp powers the J&Ms and the stock HK amp drives the rear speakers.

Installation is simple (as simple it can be in a Road Glide) I like the sound quality and the volume level and clarity are impressive at highway speed.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ears

so putting the speakers in the rear trunk,, maybe i could add a weather pack connector somewhere near the trunk mount. and lengthen the wires from the trunk mount to plug it in when its actually on the bike... opinions... how do you think this would work out??
Your Radio Sound radio doesn't have pin-outs for rear speakers; only the RS radio installed in Ultras, or units modified by RS for CB have the pin-outs for rear speakers. You'll need to splice your front speakers wires to provide a signal to the rear speakes in which case matching speaker impedance to the radio's impedance will be important.

Your bike doesn't have a wire harness for rear speakers so you'd need to bring the wires from the fairing back to the rear speakers. Creating quick disconnects isn't hard either.

Your easiest solution will be the rear speaker kit with amp offered by Hogtunes which many have said is an excellent product.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 07-14-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Corrected error regarding pin-outs for rear speakers from earlier post
Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The rear speaker pin-outs on the back of the radio are unused on your RG so you will need to connect to those with a connector and socket terminals at the ends of the wires. Not hard to do and you can get the parts from HD easily enough.
Will he need to have the 4-way fader activated by a service tech?

Quick Reply: Adding rear speakers to my Electra Glide Classic