Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popping Exhaust Question

So here comes another NOOB question.

I have read through varioius threads about the subject but as to not hijack anyone elses thread I thought I would ask my own question in my own thread.

So I just purchased a 2005 Road King (w/ EFI if that matters). It has a 95ci kit, SERT, SE Slipon's. On decel there is a lot of popping and at first I did not think to much of it since I am new to Harley's I just thought that was the sound. After some reading in here I am now guessing that it is running to lean. I was just out at a local dealer looking at some stuff and talked to the service Dept about it. Without actually being able to hear it (I took my truck because I had my twin boys all morning), he told me that some popping is normal in a EFI bike, but not a lot like I was making it sound like mine had. He then told me that there could be multiple causes (again which I knew from reading here that it could be an exhaust leak, intake leak or Tune), and that it would cost $90 to figure out what the cause was. Then said that if it did need a tune it would be 4-5 hours of labor at $125 an hour. I can only ASSume that they guy who did the mods had a tune done at that time, so is there any way for me to check for exhaust and/or intake leaks? I am not a motorcycle mehanic by anymeans, but I use to be a Jet Mechanic so I am fairly mechanically inclined. I just do not want to tear anything to far apart when I have no idea what the heck I am doing...

Thanks
Phil

Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a popping noise also and from every thing I have read there are a few ways to check. first visual inspection for cracks in the pipes around the cross over area. You can blow smoke at your pipes joints while its running to see air movement (a quick blow of chalk or something would work to if you don't smoke. Or you can torque down the exhaust bolts in case they came unseated. Torquing down my exhaust bolts at the heads is what I needed to stop my popping.
If its an intake leak spray some starter fluid on the joints and listen for the idle to change.

There are probably more things but these have been the common ones I have read about.

Good Luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:25 PM
skdvr
Tourer

Thanks,

You know I looked all of the exhaust system for cracks and such but just looking at the dang joints did not cross my mind. I don't smoke but do have some incence, so I lit a stick up and sure enough there is some coming out where the slipon's are connected. Don't have time to pull out the tool box, because I have to leave for work in a min, but I will be out there first thing tomorrow morning and try to get them tightned down and out for a ride.

Thanks again for the info. Typical me, looking WAY harder than I needed to. K.I.S.S.

Phil

Old 07-17-2010, 04:27 PM
skdvr
Tourer

One more question if I may...

When I bought the bike it came with an extra set of Slipon's. I have not even pulled them out of the box to look at them. I should be able to put them on without any sort of other tune correct? The guy I got the bike from said that they are louder. Personally I like the sound of it right now and it does not bother the neighbors when I leave at 5am, but I thought I may put them on and give them a listen...

Phil

Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 PM
bbflhrs
Tourer

Originally Posted by skdvr
Thanks,

You know I looked all of the exhaust system for cracks and such but just looking at the dang joints did not cross my mind. I don't smoke but do have some incence, so I lit a stick up and sure enough there is some coming out where the slipon's are connected. Don't have time to pull out the tool box, because I have to leave for work in a min, but I will be out there first thing tomorrow morning and try to get them tightned down and out for a ride.

Thanks again for the info. Typical me, looking WAY harder than I needed to. K.I.S.S.

Phil

hmmmm. Something doesn't sound right here.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Willy G.
Road Captain

If you don't have any leaks and are going to spend money to stop the popping anyway, I suggest talking to Fuel Moto, dumping the SERT and getting a PCV. They will map it for your bike with whatever parts you have on it. To my knowledge the SERT is only programmable from a dealer. Fuel Moto has excellent customer service and free map downloads from PC.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ***** G.
If you don't have any leaks and are going to spend money to stop the popping anyway, I suggest talking to Fuel Moto, dumping the SERT and getting a PCV. They will map it for your bike with whatever parts you have on it. To my knowledge the SERT is only programmable from a dealer. Fuel Moto has excellent customer service and free map downloads from PC.
This sounds like an advertisement not advice. Dump the SERT?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:33 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

Decel popping is either a leak or lean condition. You already know that now. I used to retorque my exhaust flanges when hot and it would stop any leaking from flanges. Torque your clamps for you slip ons too. Some really open exhausts like drag pipes cannot be stopped from popping, some people like it, Not me!

Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
This sounds like an advertisement......

Plenty of them on this forum, from people who are happy with "close enough" maps.......

Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop by the dealer and pick up some new TORCA clamps for the slip on's. Also use some Permatex Copper Silicone on the pipes before you reinstall the mufflers. You are certain to get a good seal this way.

Quick Reply: Popping Exhaust Question