Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Hang Around
Default Gas cap removal

I have an 08 Road King with stock tack and gas cap/fuel gage cap.

Today I purchased the flush mounted cap/gauge and will try to install myself rather than pay the Stealer $80 labor.

The cap instruction simply say "remove the cap." I have up to a four foot cheater bar but don't think I want to go that way. So . . . . . how to remove the gas cap and fuel gage ?

Probably something simple like unscrewing it but thought it would be better to ask than to just start yanking on things.

Thanks in advance.

Coyote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Pacific Northwest; I'm a Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals
Send a message via Yahoo to PKellyMc

You've put fuel in that hole-thingy under the gas cap, yes? You're half-way there. The gauge pops straight out with firm, straight pull...do not twist.

Patrick, CAS*
Watch out for the Invisible Man. Who's he? You are. Remember, all motorists are Blind and Crazy; they can be counted on only to do the unexpected.

* Cheap-Ass Scotsman '06 DWG, Stg-1, 546-mi, ebay - $12.5K; '07 RKC, 13K-mi, ebay - $7K
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Hang Around
Default Discovery

I discovered the fuel gauge simply pulls up and out. If I replace the wires as they are now I think I should be ok.

However, what's the easiest or proper way to pull the gas filler tube out of the tank ?

Again, thanks in advance

coyote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Hang Around
Default Figured it out

And then I read the instructions one more time. The factory gas cap just screws out and the new one screws in with trim ring pressed to fit around it with self sticking adhesive.

Now the fuel gauge side - I figured that out as well . . . . . after I made the mistake of pushing one of the gas gauge wire leads into the harness connector before I threaded it through the tank. Now the yellow lead is in the wrong connector spot and I can't get it out !

Best solution at this point is to cut and solder I suppose.

I hate Murphy's Law !
Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
One Of The Regulars

Maybe spending 80 bucks wasn't such a bad ideir. (read than proceed) Just sayin.

Last edited by ndnguyd; 07-19-2010 at 10:26 PM..
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnguyd View Post
Maybe spending 80 bucks was
+1......
Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Road Captain

Maybe shoulda spent $80 on a service manual?

Roadking Cal, a.k.a. "Zopa", a.k.a. "Bigbird"
1999 FLHRCI, Aztec "the ORIGINAL Sedona" Orange/Silver Pearl
USAF 1981-1984
Non-affiliated rider
Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Pacific Northwest; I'm a Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals
Send a message via Yahoo to PKellyMc

Use a dental-pick tool to lift the retainer tab in the connector, and slide that wire/contact out. Look inside one of the empty holes to see what you have to do to release the captive contact. Service manual shows how to do it. Don't cut/splice if you can avoid it (and you CAN!).

Patrick, CAS*
Watch out for the Invisible Man. Who's he? You are. Remember, all motorists are Blind and Crazy; they can be counted on only to do the unexpected.

* Cheap-Ass Scotsman '06 DWG, Stg-1, 546-mi, ebay - $12.5K; '07 RKC, 13K-mi, ebay - $7K
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Hang Around
Default Thanks guys

Yeah, hindsight is always 20-20. Who would guess that Harley would use an electrical connector, that once snapped in place, could not be removed easilty if at all.

As stated in movie "The Outlaw Josie Wales" . . . . I shall endeavor to persevere.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by amboy49 View Post
I have an 08 Road King with stock tack and gas cap/fuel gage cap.

Today I purchased the flush mounted cap/gauge and will try to install myself rather than pay the Stealer $80 labor.

The cap instruction simply say "remove the cap." I have up to a four foot cheater bar but don't think I want to go that way. So . . . . . how to remove the gas cap and fuel gage ?

Probably something simple like unscrewing it but thought it would be better to ask than to just start yanking on things.

Thanks in advance.

Coyote

No joke,, turn the cap as you would , as it you were putting it on. Not to tight just make sure it is in the tighten position . Then simply, push on the cap as you turn it off in the opposite direction. If you don't push on it it will just spin until it reaches the end an stop, not letting you take it off. Remember turn it clockwise until it stops. Don't force it and then push down on it anti clockwise. To the left. Down ward presser should be hard enough to turn the threads on the fuel cap. Under the chrome cover. Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 AM

P