Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:29 AM
brschmidt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Troubleshooting Cruise Control

How do you troubleshoot a Cruise Control problem? My cruise quite working this morning on my 06 RK. Worked ok for a couple of hours and then after braking it wouldn’t reengage. The Cruise On light comes on but neither resume nor set speed would work and the Cruise Engaged light never comes on. Cable ends look ok. Need some help on how can I troubleshoot this?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM
ahoxsey
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you disengauged the cruise did yo use the back break to do it. I just had the whole rear break switch replaced on my sg for that and other problems i was having. might want to have it checked out.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

there's a little plunger in the right front brake lever at the handlebar. that can fail. have someone ride along behind you to see if your brake light is flickering or coming on for no reason. if it is, then that's likely what's happening. the brake light switch, the front or the rear will cause your cruise control to disengage. my friend was riding in front of me, and his brake light kept coming on when i knew there was no reason to use his brakes. when we stopped i asked him how long his cruise control had been out. then i explained how i knew it was out.

The following users liked this post:
antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a procedure you can try.
It works on an '05 FLH so let's see if it works on your RK.

1. Hold cruise switch in the "set" position.
2. Turn the cruise "on"
3. Turn the main power switch on, the cruise light should initially come on then turn green, release the cruise switch the light will turn amber.
4. Push the cruise switch to "resume" the light should turn green, release the switch, the light should turn amber.
5. Roll the throttle "off", make sure you roll it off to activate the cutoff switch for the cruise, the light should turn green, release the throttle the light should turn amber.
6. Apply the front brake, the light should turn green, release it, the light should turn amber.
7. Apply the back brake, the light should turn green, hold the brake until the light turns amber, release the brake now, you should hear the cruise motor adjusting itself (taking ujp the slack).

What you have done is test each of the "switches" that are in the cruise system. If, during any of the tests, the light does not turn green, then that part is at fault.

The back brake switch is often at fault. You can test that by applying the brake and see if the light is already on. If it is, the cruise will not engage.

The front brake switch can be at fault also, as it sometimes gets damaged when work is done on the right handgrip/brake lever assembly and the proper procedure is not followed.

The "roll-off" switch can also be at fault. Check the connections on that.

It does sound like it's a fault in the brake system, since it started malfunctioning after you applied the brakes.

Hope this helps

The following 2 users liked this post by EC145Pilot:
antocar27 (06-01-2017), Skip2Ride (05-15-2018)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try unplugging your throttle roll off switch.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
brschmidt
Intermediate

Turned out to be the rear brake switch. $21.95 and 5 minutes to fix. Thanks for the troubleshooting help. It would have irritated me if I had paid for shop time for such a simple fix.

antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot

2. Turn the cruise "on"
3. Turn the main power switch on, the cruise light should initially come on then turn green, release the cruise switch the light will turn amber.
4. Push the cruise switch to "resume" the light should turn green, release the switch, the light should turn amber.
5. Roll the throttle "off", make sure you roll it off to activate the cutoff switch for the cruise, the light should turn green, release the throttle the light should turn amber.
6. Apply the front brake, the light should turn green, release it, the light should turn amber.
7. Apply the back brake, the light should turn green, hold the brake until the light turns amber, release the brake now, you should hear the cruise motor adjusting itself (taking ujp the slack).

What you have done is test each of the "switches" that are in the cruise system. If, during any of the tests, the light does not turn green, then that part is at fault.

The back brake switch is often at fault. You can test that by applying the brake and see if the light is already on. If it is, the cruise will not engage.

The front brake switch can be at fault also, as it sometimes gets damaged when work is done on the right handgrip/brake lever assembly and the proper procedure is not followed.

It does sound like it's a fault in the brake system, since it started malfunctioning after you applied the brakes.

Hope this helps
This is a great post! Thank you!

antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 AM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My '09 RK has an intermittent problem with cruise control. While travelling, cruise control will disengage but the green light remains on. Could this also be linked to brake switches?
Thanks, in advance!!

antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
JasonK
5th Gear

Does not turn amber at step 3, any mode ideas?...lol

antocar27 (06-01-2017)
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 PM
MrHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot

2. Turn the cruise "on"

Hope this helps
Thank you very much for posting this information. Went through the steps this morning. My cruise out of the blue stopped working a few weeks ago. The red cruise light would come on, but would not turn green and engage. Once in awhile I could get it to engage if I hit set rapidly, but the bike would speed up real fast without stopping until I hit the brakes or turned off the cruise. I just rode 70 miles on the interstate with the cruise set at 72. Never touched the throttle the whole way. Cruise held at 72 on the dot.

antocar27 (06-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting Cruise Control