Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gaz tank cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 PM
NomadUC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaz tank cap

Couldn't find my answer with search so here is the question. I've owned a Ultra Classic 2009 for 2 years now. Now I do recall that when fueling, you could not see the inside of the tank because of a black plastic part throught wich the nosel goes when fueling. Today, I stopped for fuel and when I opened the cap, I could see the inside or bottom of the tank very clearly which means that this plastic component fell and is now in the tank althought it is not visible. Stopped at a HD dealer and checked some 2010, on everyone of them, you could see the sinside of the thank. Checked with a rider who also had an Ultra Classic 2009, his to, we could see in the tank. Checked with one of my buddy who has a Ultra 2008, he still has this plactic piece and you cannot see in the inside of the tank. The question is, did some of you encountered the same issue and what could happen, having this piece somewhere in the tank?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

It might mess up the float for your gauge,if there is a float in there.Mine has the multi-fingered thingy still there after 11000 miles.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:20 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is still intact at 10,500 miles.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 PM
NomadUC
Advanced

Well I found the answer to this issue. Here is the answer if it happens to one of you. The next morning, I opened the gaz cap to see if I could see something in the tank. Well when I opened the cap, the piece whas right where it belonged. I realized that this piece which is removable has threads is screwed to the tank and the cap screws in to that piece. For some reason, when I took off the cap for fueling, it came off staying attached to the cap. I never looked at the cap ( neither did the service guy )but this piece was on it. Big relief.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i wish they had a larger hole in the plastic than the 1" hole. i can't see the fuel level while fuelling. i have been thinking of how to take out the neck altogether and use a hole saw to open it up completely. road king tanks don't have that problem though. their tank is always filled on the high side so you can fill it completely. i also do not like the design of the gas flip up cover. it's hinged on the back rather than at the front where it'd be easier to fill. a redesign would be a welcome addition in coming years. even one that hinged from the right side rather than at the rear.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Tirpitz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by emwolb
i wish they had a larger hole in the plastic than the 1" hole. i can't see the fuel level while fuelling. i have been thinking of how to take out the neck altogether and use a hole saw to open it up completely. road king tanks don't have that problem though. their tank is always filled on the high side so you can fill it completely. i also do not like the design of the gas flip up cover. it's hinged on the back rather than at the front where it'd be easier to fill. a redesign would be a welcome addition in coming years. even one that hinged from the right side rather than at the rear.
I agree with you it would be a great idea.