Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD LED Oil Dip Stick

Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
cballweg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have the history on these and I am fairly new to Harley. I put one on my 09 RKC shortly after purchasing the bike in April of 2009. It appears to work properly all of the time. Have ridden in rain only a few times because I am a wimp at the ripe old age of 73.

Today, the air temp (official) was 106 and the guage showed 336 degrees when I got home from a 25 mile ride.

How hot is too hot? Too hot for the motor/oil - it never gets too hot to ride...

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Sandy Mike
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pauletich
Does anyone know how acurate the HD LED dip sticks are?
No idea how accurate they are. Mine quit working after 5 months, piece of crap. Even the dealer says they are useless.....

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the older one for 3 years. It finally would not read the level but the temp part worked fined and was right on the money. (checked it with thermometer and boiling water) I got one of the newer ones. The new ones are removed like an normal dipstick. Dont have to worry about not twisting to get it out. It seats much better than the old one. Just to be safe, I remove it and put my old dipstick in when washing the bike....and yes do not remove it and let it sit on the face. I think many of the older ones got a bad rap because the instructions wer very specific on how to remove it and I'm guessing a lot of people (myself included) did not read the instructions carefully. Personally, I think its a pretty good product

Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

We bought one the day we bought the bike in June of '06. It's worked fine. Finally this year we had to replace the battery in it, which took the same battery as a Harley Key Fob for the security system.

It was hard to get the small Phillips screws out, however, to replace the battery.

No complaints here.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cballweg
Don't have the history on these and I am fairly new to Harley. I put one on my 09 RKC shortly after purchasing the bike in April of 2009. It appears to work properly all of the time. Have ridden in rain only a few times because I am a wimp at the ripe old age of 73.

Today, the air temp (official) was 106 and the guage showed 336 degrees when I got home from a 25 mile ride.

How hot is too hot? Too hot for the motor/oil - it never gets too hot to ride...
Wow! Unless your riding in bumper to bumper traffic that's barely enough time to get to operating temperature. I'd question the accuracy or you have other issues.

Last edited by nvsteve; 08-03-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't waste your money.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

According HD web site new ones for 11 are improved for durability so these might be better,I may give it another try ,I liked the oil level feature in mine 2 previous ones don't care for temp because I'm not going stop and blow on the motor to cool off.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Because Harley tells you to check the oil level hot, the best thing about this item is you can just push the button and read your oil level, rather than try and take out a hot dipstick dripping with hot oil, from a hot engine, behind a hot header pipe. Getting a reasonable accurate oil temp reading is secondary. If your bike is overheating, you wouldn't know it while riding, when you have to stop to check the temp on the dip stick.

BBStacker, thanks for the tip on the silicone. I was wondering what was used to hold the cover on, as mine has now come loose after changing the battery.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Please. We've been checking hot oil for HOW many years now? And if I want my temp while riding, the 3 finger, 3 second rule is always right. You'll know if it's too hot.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

About a year and seems to working OK....Used a Fluke Temp light and was pretty close in temp readings...1 or 2 degrees off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD LED Oil Dip Stick