Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD LED Oil Dip Stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You've obviously been twisting your stick.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had one and it crapped out within 2 months. I agree with other, save your money and get an oil cooler if you're worried about oil temp.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have one I bought 3 years back. No problems. I'm guessing if the rain affected it so would washing although I don't see how it is a sealed component. Only problem I had if you want to call it a problem is the silicone holding the cover gave way. Redid the silicone and that fixed that.

As with everything else it's gonna be a matter of personal opinion and preference.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got one a couple of months ago, so far it seems to be working.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe they are still selling these things...... and they know they are junk when they take your $$$$........

Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 AM
StreetGeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over a year and still working great, after plenty rain, bike washes, etc. Probably just jinxed it tho

Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 AM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have two - one seems fairly accurate; however, the other ranges between 5 and 25 degrees high. The hotter the oil gets the further it is off.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thre years on mine now and only problem has been the dealer tech standing it up on the face and letting the oil drain down into the electronics. Took it apart and cleaned the crap out of it and it is back to working just fine and seems to be pretty much on the money as far as temp.
Guess I got lucky but I did take it apart right out of the box when new to spin the face so that it could be viewed upright standing on right side of bike, maybe that had something to do with it working this long cause the seal was cockeyed out of the box and I straightened it up before using it.
It will read the temp correctly just after shutting down but the level isn't correct until the oil drains back down after a few minutes.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RockerMike
I have two - one seems fairly accurate; however, the other ranges between 5 and 25 degrees high. The hotter the oil gets the further it is off.
I would wonder why you didn't return it. My 3-second hand test isn't 5 degrees off and has been working for 29 years of riding, was free and never leaks.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM
gotur6
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, there we were on vacation in Colorado and had to have the bike serviced. Saw this cool do-dad oil temp gauge and the warm blue light it displayed - had to have it for some dumb reason. I guess I was admitting I was too damn lazy to pull the dipstick and use my eyes to check the level. Well, it was a $140 mistake. Bought it late August last year, worked great for the past 11 months. Took the bike in for the 7500 mile service interval and an oil change. Got the bike home and parked it. Went to go for a cruise today and did my usual pre-ride inspection: tire pressure, oil level, etc and guess what? "no sensor" was displayed. Called my local dealer, which is an hour and a half away, and I was told that I have to take my issue with the dealer I bought it from, which is 1200 miles away. Anyway, on and on, the short story is this: SAVE YOUR MONEY, USE YOUR EYES. Yea, it looks cool alright, but, I'd much rather spend the buck-forty on something that I really need.
JMHO

Quick Reply: HD LED Oil Dip Stick