Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reach bars vs Heritage bars on Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reach bars vs Heritage bars on Road King

I need a little advice.

I am really enjoying my new Road King, except for one thing. I feel like I am reaching for the bars. I have the reach seat and have had the bike lowered. What is your opinion on the best way to correct this?

I am looking at the Reach bars and the Heritage style bars from HD.

If I get the new bars is that something I can install myself? I am very mechanical and feel like maybe I could do it myself (save that $75 per hr).

By the way this is a Road King Standard and I am 5'9" with 30" inseam.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
55Rick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Heritage style bar on my '09 RKC, and it has made a big difference. Reaching for the standard bar put a burn between my shoulder blades. The Heritage style bar sits a bit higher and has a flatter bend at the grips, which suit me well. I installed them myself with not much trouble. The stock fly by wire will work without an extension, but you will need to get in the headlight and make sure you are getting all the slack available. I have not had any experience with the 'reach' bar, so cannot comment, but have been satisfied wtih the Heritage style bar. I would make the same switch again.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
nacra780
6th Gear

I have the reach bar and have been happy with it. No more leaning over. Ask the dealer if you can hold both. I noticed the heritage bar handle end was more turned in than the reach. The reach bar just seemed more comfortable.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
agent58
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the police bars on my 08 RK.I think they are the same as the heritage bars.Not perfect but much better than stock.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the money heritage bars can't be beat. Other than bars everything is reused so no extra cost.

Heritage bars are a drastic improvement over stock and very simple to install.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I know what you mean about reaching for the bars and I can feel that shoulder pain. I just ordered 12.5 mini apes and I can wait they should be here this week. I had them on my WG and I know my shoulders will thank me! By the way I am 6ft with a 36 inseam...guess my arms are super long(thank god) Good luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Heritage bars on my 10' KRC a few weeks ago. Was an easy install. Took time to get into the nacelle, but it was a worthwhile endeavor. Only problem I had was with the Throttle-by-wire bundle inside the bars. Mine got wedged in the dimpled bend, and it took about 1/2 an hour to get it to release. No biggie though, just kept my cool, grabbed another beer, and kept fiddling with it. The position is MUCH more comfortable than the stocker. I am only 5'6". I also have lowered the rear of the bike 1", and will drop the front this winter as well. Got a solo reach seat from Danny Gray too. Am considering installing a set of 12" apes, but will see about that later.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:05 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Heritage most fuctional and economical. (Uses all of the stock brake hoses and throttle wires).

Very easy to install your self. TBW makes it that easy.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
Heritage most fuctional and economical. (Uses all of the stock brake hoses and throttle wires).

Very easy to install your self. TBW makes it that easy.
Another vote for the Heritage bars. A good tip for getting the TBW harness back in the new bars. Fold the front plug back over the harness and tape it with one round of electrical tape. Then put some grease over the end and about 2 inches down the tape. Slides right through...no problem. If you have stock grips, you might want to buy a new clutch side. some are hard to get off without tearing.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Draig
Cruiser

Installed the Heritage type bars on mine a few months ago.
So much better than stock.
Easy install took about 90 minutes in all. +1 on the tape around the connector - did that too! Plenty on slack in wires and brake line. I used hairspray to soften the glue on the original L/H grip - works well.
Go on - have a go!

Quick Reply: Reach bars vs Heritage bars on Road King