Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Classic hard bags vs soft???

Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 PM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King Classic hard bags vs soft???

Have an 09 Road King Classic - originally bought the bike and absolutely loved the look of the "hard leather" bags. Now that I've had it for a while I'm starting to realize the hard bags may have been the way to go (secureity, waterproof, place to lock up the gun, etc.). Anybody have any thoughts on this? What is your preference / pros vs cons? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Dustball
Road Master

I swapped my leather bags for hard ones this year. Should have done it years back for exactly the reasons you stated.

-Dusty

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that there are any pro's with the leather bags other than they look great on a classic. I'm still keeping mine. I like the classic look.
Jim

Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that the leather looks great, but you just can't beat the hard bags for their function and durability etc. Its great piece of mind to be able to lock them up. A buddy I do trips with on a RKC just unhooks them and brings them in the room at night.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 812 Likes on 798 Posts

Love the leather on OUR Heritage... but,,,, the king needs hard.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 PM
SMF
Banned

Hard bags look better imo!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Hard bags look better imo!
Agree

Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOK DADDY
Have an 09 Road King Classic - originally bought the bike and absolutely loved the look of the "hard leather" bags. Now that I've had it for a while I'm starting to realize the hard bags may have been the way to go (secureity, waterproof, place to lock up the gun, etc.). Anybody have any thoughts on this? What is your preference / pros vs cons? Thanks for the feedback.
I had the leather over plastic and loved them on my '05. Never had a problem with water. If your primary concern is locking the bags...I think the classic bags are just as good if not better than the hard. You can buy a lock kit that hides under the chrome accent on bags. The bags look like they do not lock and most people don't even know where to look for the keyhole to try to pick the lock and can't figure out how to get the bags open.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TOK DADDY
I wanted hard bags from the start but loved the color of my 09 flhrc...I just put hard bags on it and like me much better...The leather look ones were are very sensative to dings on the top.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 AM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser

Cheese - where can I find the leather bag locks you're talking about - how much do they cost?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King Classic hard bags vs soft???