Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Stage I write-up with exhaust flow, sound, and mpg data

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default My Stage I write-up with exhaust flow, sound, and mpg data

As I researched hardware and fuel management options, I concluded that I wanted to maintain the closed-loop EFI feedback configuration. However due to their very narrow range of capabilities, I knew that the stock 12mm O2 sensors on my 2010 Ultra Ltd were not the answer.

I found three options to consider utilizing wide-band 18mm O2 sensors. AutoTune with a PCV, Zippers Thundermax, and Revolution Performance Precision EMS. All seem to be good systems, but I settled on the RPP EMS. I didn’t want all of the hardware hanging on to the ECM that would be necessary with the PCV setup, nor would I ever consider actually replacing my stock ECM with a replacement module as that provided by Zippers. I chose the RP EMS because I can keep my stock ECM and still get the benefit of wide-band closed-loop on-the-fly tuning from the 18mm sensors. It was simple to install and utilizes the stock O2 sensor data harness. This is an install and ride module. It is quite a fantastic product. I purchased it from Fuel Moto.

Next, I decided upon the Jackpot stainless steel header from Fuel Moto. Of course this header has both 12 and 18mm bungs already installed, and it comes complete with bung plugs. Un-boxing the header, I noticed how well it was constructed and the savings in weight compared to the stock header. I used the provided bung plugs to seal the 12mm bug holes since I would not be using them in this upgrade. The header installed flawlessly, and the heat shields fit very close to a stock fit. I bought new exhaust flange retainer rings for this install as the retainers on the old header were slightly twisted and appeared heat stressed.

Next, I decided upon the Jackpot Pro-Touring mufflers. These mufflers came well packed, and when un-boxed the quality of construction and chroming was apparent. Very nice mufflers with a very nice unique sound. I get all kinds of questions and compliments on these muffs.

Finally, I decided upon the Fuel Moto stage I air cleaner with the chrome backplate. I prefer the forged, “mouse ear” model. Although the removal of the stock throttle body support takes a few minutes, it was no big deal and well worth the time. I am completely satisfied with the fit and finish of this air cleaner, and how precisely it installed. I have never liked the rubber-hose breather tube approach. This air cleaner eliminates the need for the rubber breather tubes necessary in the stock air cleaner.

I installed new exhaust gaskets in the exhaust ports and in the cross-over portion of the header. I used new clamps throughout the install with the exception of the clamp under the bike that holds the cross-over pipe to the transmission. I did not what to spend all this money on a header/exhaust system, and then have exhaust leaks because I was too stupid to use new clamps and gaskets.

Once everything was put back together, buttoned-up, and initialized, the bike started right away, ran smoothly, and quite frankly has exceeded my expectations over the past week or so.

Now for some measurements. I used a very sensitive digital wind speed measurement device to sample the exhaust velocity coming from the end of both mufflers. I made these measurements with both the stock header (with cat) and with the FM header…both measurements using the FM Pro-Touring mufflers. Flow samples were taken 6 inches from the end of each muffler. Here are the results:

Stock Header with Cat: Right side flow was 19 MPH, left side flow was 9 MPH.
FM Header: Right side flow was 29 MPH, left side flow was 23 MPH. (some of this increase should be attributed to the new higher-flow air cleaner).

These exhaust velocity results seem to indicate that the cat is a little more restrictive than I thought. I hoped to perform the test with the stock air cleaner, but that was going to be too much trouble. And of course the FM header is an entirely different design than the stock header, so this design is most likely a significant contributor to the increased flow of both sides…especially the left side.

I made the before/after sound measurements with my iPhone utilizing a sound meter application called SPL Meter. This is a really neat application and appears to be fairly accurate. Without getting lost in a debate on it’s accuracy, the relative difference in sound measurements can and do serve a useful purpose. I measured the sound at a 45 degree angle 20 inches away from the right muffler. I made these measurements at idle and at 2000 rpm. This methodology is similar to J2825, the sound testing procedure that may eventually be adopted as the standard for the testing of sound levels of motorcycles. Anyway, here is what I found with my set-up:

Stock header with cat and JP Pro-Touring mufflers: At idle…81.5 dB and at 2000 rpm…83.5 dB
FM Header with JP Pro-Touring Mufflers and RPP EMS: At idle…84 dB and at 2000 89.1 dB

The Pro-Touring muffs have a richer, deeper sound and have a really nice deceleration rumble.

Gas mileage has essentially remained the same. Running above average speeds for most or all of a tank is yielding 38.5 MPG. Riding casually yields around 41 MPG. I try to run only 93 octane, non-ethanol gasoline. I have ran a couple of tanks of the 10% ethanol fuel and there is a noticeable decrease in fuel economy.

So that’s my Stage I story. I hope this information is helpful.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good write-up. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bigiron
Good write-up. Thanks for posting.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stage one write up

Nice write up. All good information. I'd like to get more info on the tuner. I'm still trying to decide which way to go on that. I've been leaning toward the Power Vision because I too don't want a piggyback device and not really sure I would want to replace the ECM either. I want to wake this 103 up a little, but I want reliability.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wjl24
Nice write up. All good information. I'd like to get more info on the tuner. I'm still trying to decide which way to go on that. I've been leaning toward the Power Vision because I too don't want a piggyback device and not really sure I would want to replace the ECM either. I want to wake this 103 up a little, but I want reliability.
For me, the Fuel Moto website had all the info and links necessary for me to do my research into a fuel mgmt system, header, and air cleaner. The system I ultimately chose from Rev Per was very well detailed on the Rev Per website. There you can view FAQs, podcasts, even an install video. I didn't find that level of detail on the Thundermax website at all. I suppose you need to determine if you are going to stay closed loop or go open loop (remove the O2 sensors entirely), then make your decision.

I didn't want to be messing around with fuel tables, ignition timing, spark advance, etc. I could do it, but I would rather ride and let a quality set of wide band O2 sensors combine with the Rev Per ECM calibration to do all of that on the fly. That, to me, is the Rev Per EMS advantage. I have absolutely no popping, no detonation, no knocking, no nothing but a smooth running engine all throughout the RPM band. And its a much cooler engine at that. I kept my stock ECM with all of the OEM safety features intact. That was important to me.

Some say you can't tell by the seat of the pants whether or not a performance upgrade has made any difference. I can guarantee you that you will feel it on that 103. It's a great engine and you will be impressed with what a stage I will accomplish.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 11-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So....how much did you spend and how much performance was gained? Good write up but what exactly did you gain performance wise for the amount you spent?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
T_Sebastian
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowcountry Joe,
I am thinking about going this same route. The only difference in your set-up, and the one I am thinking of, is that I am leaning more toward the Jackpot Dyno-tuned muffs with the black end caps.
How long did it take to get the ECM back from RP in the mail? Also, how is the fit of the OEM heatshields on the Stainless Jackpot header pipe (any ugly spots)?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by T_Sebastian
Lowcountry Joe,
I am thinking about going this same route. The only difference in your set-up, and the one I am thinking of, is that I am leaning more toward the Jackpot Dyno-tuned muffs with the black end caps.
How long did it take to get the ECM back from RP in the mail? Also, how is the fit of the OEM heatshields on the Stainless Jackpot header pipe (any ugly spots)?
Sent the ECM via Fed Ex Monday, received it back the following Wednesday. Rev Per tries to turn them around immediately, as was the result with mine. During the two days it was gone, I just piddled around with the project, doing a little more each evening. It's important NOT to get in a hurry. By the way, the headlight wire you splice into in my bike was the only solid blue wire in the harness going forward. I proofed that out by removing the battery, then the fuse panel to lean it out enough so I could trace the wire to the headlight fuse. The blue color was also verified in the service manual schematic. Rev Per does not tell you about this color, but on my 2010 Ultra Ltd it was blue and easy to tap. I suppose it could be different on various model years. Had I known this before the install, it would have saved me some time so I hope it helps you.

I was wondering about the fit of the heat shields myself after reading that some users seemed to not be getting a satisfactory fit for whatever reason. I found that the stock heat shields fit very well on the FM SS header. It is not as "exact" as the fit is on the stock pipe in the area where they all come together, but the FM pipe is certainly different in an around that "cat" area compared to the stock pipe. The fit is very, very close. With a little fiddling around, I was able to have no gaps in coverage and I am satisfied with the fitment and resultant appearance.

I am confident the dyno tuned muffs will work well with this fuel mgmt and air cleaner combination. Rev Per will make sure of that with their custom calibration load particular to your bike and all of the hardware you intend to bolt-on. Look forward to the write-up on your install.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2000FiveOh
So....how much did you spend and how much performance was gained? Good write up but what exactly did you gain performance wise for the amount you spent?
That's a really good question. I would have preferred to dyno the bike before and after, but with my travel schedule and excitement about getting the Stage I installed, I just didn't go that route. But I hope to get it on a dyno some day to see if the slight performance gains we all see advertised in the dyno runs of others are there. The bike really seems peppier and really sounds good...not too loud, but certainly louder than stock as you can see by the sound measurements. And it's a different loud, one that tends to be more toward the lower frequency sounds. However there is only one real way to know, and that's with a dyno. It would probably be a good investment to dyno the bike, that way I know what this stage provided, then I will have a baseline for when/if I swap out the cams.

I see you have made quite a few mods to your bike. I hope it is meeting with your expectations. I don't know when I will go beyond a Stage I. Maybe a change-out in the cam chest if I get bored, but that would be it. I have this fear of cracking open too much of the engine at once!!

As far as cost, anyone can call Fuel Moto and get a performance package price for this set-up. But price is never really a determinant for me. If after doing my research I think its what I want, then I go for it. Pay to play. Thanks

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 11-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Armypac
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage 1

Good day,
thanks for the detailed process you went thru, I'm sure a lot of riders
have been thinking the same thing, including me.
I was wondering if you looked at any other mufflers, fuel moto or otherwise and why you went with the ones you did.
Last thing, I didn't know if you were aware that OUR bike color adds 8-10 HP right up front
thanks for the write up
great color.
enjoy

Quick Reply: My Stage I write-up with exhaust flow, sound, and mpg data