Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Builders in MN/WI and Build Ideas (Input Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Builders in MN/WI and Build Ideas (Input Please!)

Background. Going back to Iraq in the near future. Upon return I plan on digging into my engine for some upgrades. My local HD Dealer is self-admittedly "just kit assemblers" and do not even have a dyno to get a good tune.

So I have two questions then:

Question 1.) Does anyone have any recommendations for good/knowledgable dealers or tuners in the MN/WI area? I am focusing on looking in the Minneapolis/St Paul area and the WI area from about Eau Claire and North. I know Fuel Moto is in the Green Bay area and is a strong contender. I know St. Paul Harley does a ton of volume in sales, but how is their shop? I would like to utilize SE components as much as possible, and yes, I know that "limits" things, but seeing as my local shop isn't too savy, it would keep any long term repairs and replacement parts simple in the case of some engine issues.

Question 2.) Alright motor gurus, this is where I am looking for some opinions for a build. I am looking for a big bore kit (most likely a 103") with no more than 10.5:1 compression. The SE 103" ST IV kit looks nice, but the torque curve comes on too late (about 4,000 rpms). I like the fact the ST IV Kit comes with the 110+ heads. Would a simple cam swap from the SE 260 (that comes with the kit) to a torquier high compression cam be all that's needed? How would a SE 204 or TW6-6 perform with the high flow heads and higer compression engine? I am not "number chasing" and torque is a higher premium than top end HP. I am "thinking" (and I could be way off) that a "torque cam" coupled with higher compression and larger displacement will give me the little boost in HP that I am looking for (by boost in HP I mean, more HP numbers than a SE 255 cam, but maybe still not crossing into 100+ range... mid 90s would be nice).

I guess in a perfect world I would like my build to have 105-115 torque, that comes on near 3,000 rpm and holds into the 4,500 range, and 90-95+ hp. I like the profile of the TW6-6 and am wondering if some compression and extra cubic inches will creep the numbers a little higher. Or is there a better suited cam for this application.

I am open to all suggestions. I am still learning this stuff.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

You should seriously check out Hoban Brothers. They have a great reputation. Here's their website. I'm totally lucky because this is the indy shop I get to take my bikes to and it's only 10 minutes from my house.... It's about 40 mins south of Green Bay and about 15 mins west of I-43

http://hobancycle.com/index.html

The Hoban Brothers national reputation for performance comes from 30 years of motor building experience, several national championships in road racing and working with the absolute best engine builders in the nation through our Darkhorse Crankworks Division.

We are responsible for supplying the foundation to most of the highest horsepower twin cam engines throughout the world today. This is quite an honor for all of us here, it is a responsibility we take very seriously and has been built by years of being known as the problem solvers to all of our customers.

Last edited by Harley_RN; 07-27-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard that Fairbault, HD has a very good tuner also.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I put a 103" in my 2007 Ultra. Actually wish I had done a 107". Anyway, don't forget with the upgrades your considering you must include an intake, pipe and a tuner plus a Dyno tune. Hoban is a good suggestion. Long hike from Superior though.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Jason at Faribault HD is the best tuner around IMO. St. Paul doesn't have a dyno and sends everybody to Jason. Even shops that own and operate their own dynos send Jason their "problem" tunes. His tunes pull hard at all throttle positions, behave well, and get good fuel mileage.

My build is in my sig, and here is a link to a sound clip and dyno chart.

Good Luck over there; hurry home. We appreciate all you do.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post6974414

Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain

I too have taken my bike to Faribault for a dyno tune. Jason couldn't do it but there back up guy does wonders as well. Ive heard good things about woods cams. They actually told me to just put cams in my bike and I would love it.