Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cary Faas mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
dyeates
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problems with my CFR's. Bought them on CL used 2 years ago, used V&H dresser dials, and fuelpak with no tune. The right side connection has a little discoloration, but the clamp wasn't real tight. Left side no problem, but exhaust had a chance to cool down. Have had similar issues with bikes in the past. Wasn't enough to bug me. I just ride. But the browning I had was very minor, maybe 1/2 inch at junction of header/muffler, not like some of the photos. I think it's a tuning issue as well. just don't know. Never a prob with CFR.inc. great product, great company.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 PM
dwireman
Novice

I want everyone to know, that due to my posts that I got a personal email (several actually) from Cary Faas this afternoon (it's a Sunday people). We have discussed the issue, the tune may or may not have caused the problem. Cary wants the pipe sent to him so they can analyze it to see what did happen. How is that for customer service. Cary contacted me, I didn't have to track them down. Now what about the owner of a company contacting you on a Sunday about an issue with their product. I've never heard of it. I'd say when you have a problem with a product and you approach the issue calmly (don't know how calm I am but...) then people are more likely to treat you the same.
You can bet the hottest your exhaust will ever be is during full throttle tunes on a dyno.
Anyway, Cary has informed me that he is going to contact the dealer where I got the pipes, and have them send me a new one, and then I'll send the 'turned' one back to the factory. Heck, I won't even have any down time!
All I can say is that no one should have a complaint about customer service with CFR, and no one should speak about them in a negative way until they have a opportunity to have their problem addressed. I was assured in the very beginning that the issue would be addressed. I have had several emails for Cary Faas this afternoon, and the dealer I bought the pipes from just called me (it's Sunday, 7 pm) to tell me he would be sending me new pipes tomorrow. Life is good, and so is CFR's customer service. I'm sure this is absolutely the best customer service anyone could even imagine. Thank you Cary, and thanks to Jason (location not disclosed yet)

Last edited by dwireman; 08-19-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM
sftdyna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwireman
I want everyone to know, that due to my posts that I got a personal email (several actually) from Cary Faas this afternoon (it's a Sunday people). We have discussed the issue, the tune may or may not have caused the problem. Cary wants the pipe sent to him so they can analyze it to see what did happen. How is that for customer service. Cary contacted me, I didn't have to track them down. Now what about the owner of a company contacting you on a Sunday about an issue with their product. I've never heard of it. I'd say when you have a problem with a product and you approach the issue calmly (don't know how calm I am but...) then people are more likely to treat you the same.
You can bet the hottest your exhaust will ever be is during full throttle tunes on a dyno.
Anyway, Cary has informed me that he is going to contact the dealer where I got the pipes, and have them send me a new one, and then I'll send the 'turned' one back to the factory. Heck, I won't even have any down time!
All I can say is that no one should have a complaint about customer service with CFR, and no one should speak about them in a negative way until they have a opportunity to have their problem addressed. I was assured in the very beginning that the issue would be addressed. I have had several emails for Cary Faas this afternoon, and the dealer I bought the pipes from just called me (it's Sunday, 7 pm) to tell me he would be sending me new pipes tomorrow. Life is good, and so is CFR's customer service. I'm sure this is the absolutely the best customer service anyone could even imagine. Thank you Cary, and thanks to Jason (location not disclosed yet)

And don't think for a second you would have gotten anywhere if it weren't for us letting them know they were going to lose some busines!!!!!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Cary, I'm your dealer in eastern Oklahoma. It's great to see you here on the boards!

OP and wireman, it sounds and looks like your dyno tuners don't know what they're doing. Smoking a pipe on the dyno is no fault of Cary Faas. I've installed CFR's on a bikes in my own shop and never seen a problem with the CFR's. As a matter of fact, I thought the quality was exceptional but i suppose its possible to have gotten a bad batch of chrome.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 PM
bosshog919
Tourer

All is well in the land of CFR

Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 PM
cfrinc
5th Gear

Posting on forums is something I rarely do, when notified of an issue CFR Inc. will always respond accordingly. I take exception to stfdyna's comments, you are beating your drum a little too hard. Your statement of "loss of business"had nothing to do with me contacting a customer. My concern is the integrity and quality of the products CFR manufactures along with the support to our dealers worldwide. Money is not what drives me. Regards, Cary Faas.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
it sounds and looks like your dyno tuners don't know what they're doing. Smoking a pipe on the dyno is no fault of Cary Faas. I've installed CFR's on a bikes in my own shop and never seen a problem with the CFR's. As a matter of fact, I thought the quality was exceptional but i suppose its possible to have gotten a bad batch of chrome.
Help me understand. As you can see from the pic I posted earlier the basically new pipes has one gold/blue and the other one is fine. All stock bike.

Why would one take a dump but the other ok? Since it's all stock, meaning no tune, no Dyno, etc.

I was thinking a bad production batch too. That seems plausible.

Thanks,

J

Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
dwireman
Novice

I had two options here in town for the tune. Option 1 was to go with a tuner I know that has an impeccable reputation, or Option 2 go with a guy that offered, but I don't know anyone who has had a tune by him. I chose Option 1.
Harley set's the AFR to 14.6, my tune is set at 14.1. Yes it could still be a little lower say in the 13.6 - 13.8 range, which would help it run a little cooler, and also drink a little me gas which doesn't bother me.
At this point, like I said earlier, it could or could not have been the tune, but I have faith in the guy who tuned my bike and don't believe he would have 'smoked' it as 1931jamesw suggested. Don't know how someone can just make a statement about a tuner that doesn't know what he is doing, if he doesn't know the tuner, and wasn't there during the tune.
Cary and my tuner are or will be talking, and I am going to have my pipe replaced. Cary will find out what happened to the pipe and maybe he will share that information with us.
It is his company, and he has decided to look into it as well as replace my muffler. So what's the problem with that? Nothing as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again to Cary!

Last edited by dwireman; 08-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by pepper6857
This is just a heads up on anyone considering the purchase of the Cary Faas slipons. After I purchased these slipons, one side began to turn blue and gold. I contacted the shop where I purchased them and after they contacted Faas they where told that these were the old pipes that were not double walled and did not have the new fiberglass insulation in them. I was told that they could be sent back and they would double wall them but not fix the discoloration. This seemed odd to me so I called the company direct and lo and behold was told the same thing. Now how is that for customer service. I will never purchase another product made by Cary Faas and would advise others to steer clear of them as well. Too many companies making too many products to put up with being treated like crap on a purchase that large. Curious if others have experienced the same problem with these pipes.
Pepp post a pic of the discoloration so we can see what your up against....

Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Pepp post a pic of the discoloration so we can see what your up against....
Thread is over 2 years old and the guy hasn't been around since. I am guessing he moved on

Quick Reply: Cary Faas mufflers