Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change stator myself???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Change stator myself???

So, my bike starts, runs fine. I get to my destination and it won't restart - bought bike used so not knowing how old the battery was, I bought a new one and next day, the problem still exists. HD service says it sounds like a stator problem, so I will take it in and have it checked out. HD says it's about $400 for new stator if that is the problem.

Question: If it turns out to be the stator, is this something I can use my HD manual and parts manual as a guide and replace it myself? How difficult?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

If ya have any mechanical skill at all you should be able to do it. I have done it before, and didn't find it too difficult .

Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

thanks - good to know - may have a bigger problem on my hands - went to start the bike and it fired up - let it idle a few minutes and it died during idle - gave it a jump from my brothers bike - after a minute of idle the bike went crazy and started sputtering and popping out the air cleaner like misfiring and then died....uh oh! Don't know what I am in for now.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

have you used a digital voltage meter for testing voltage at battery when off, when cranking, when at idle or above idle.. Those voltages are DC and then check voltage at stator plug..AC voltage at stator plug...consider rule-out above first..
link to a very good post with multiple pictures..evo motor i believe.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...need-help.html

Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 746 Likes on 475 Posts

i just did mine back in may, if you have the manual its pretty straight forward. but you don't have to remove the inner primary. you can get the stator out by just removing the outer primary and the clutch, chain adj. an anything in you way. should take about 3-4 hours depending on the amount of beers in the cooler.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Is the bike EFI or Carb?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by will2002
Is the bike EFI or Carb?
it is EFI

Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Well, I'm no Harley Tech, but that sounds like more of an EFI problem. Crank position sensor, temp sencor etc, etc! I had a stator go bad on my '87 Classic in northern Kanas, and I rode it all the way to Dallas before it wouldn't go, back in '91. It ran fine and dandy untill finally it just wouldn't start any more. Maybe Dawg, or someone else will come on here later and ya can get a good answer.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 PM
GAZRNR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem last week. Driving along and then no tach, dash or indicator lights. Thought I has a short some where in the wiring & was hoping to make it home. Then lost the digital read out on the speedometer...15 miles later the bike was sputtering & died. It felt like the crank sensor went out but did not start running full rich like it did when that went out last year. Got the bike home (by tow truck) charged the battery and the bike ran fine & rode it around the neighbor hood...same old bike. Pulled the seat and tested the battery with a multi meter. Battery is good, changed to test the charging system & got no charging at all. Took off the primary inspection cover and could not detect a "burnt" smell in the fluid. Tested the regulator and was getting 4 ohms. I ordered a new voltage regulator and will change that next week when it comes in. Have a strong feeling that I will be changing the stator too. Once you get your charging system fixed your bike will be fine unless you have a short some where that has to be fixed. Hope this helps, Rusty

Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Get the service manual, it has full instructions on testing the stator and rest of the charging system.
Also check your battery cables, make sure the terminals are clean and tight (at both ends).

Quick Reply: Change stator myself???