Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM
tstammer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter

Do I need the Catalytic Converter on my 2010 Road King? The bike sounds terrible due to the converter.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea I bet, its also running Hotter than Hell, then your stock pipes will blue and yellow on the tails, then you will pay the Harley Tax. If I remember my ride back from Arkansas on Sunday when it was really HOT, the wife had her right leg up on the crash bar, it sounded like it had a corn cob up its pipe.... The cat is a POS.

I was trying to have faith in my stock Limited but gave up, its got a long list of goodies from Fuel Moto on the way to tune it, and flow air and exhaust.
Jamie swears it will be a whole different bike once I change it all out.

You dont need the catilitic converter, some guys have bore them out with a concrete core cutter, cut open the header and removed it and welded the header back together, then claimed it was good but later on down the road they bit the bullit and installed a new header, mufflers, air-cleaners and PCV tune to the ECM.It your call, but in the long run I feel we must all pay the TAX if we want these new EPA restricted bikes to run like anything from 2008 and back.

Just Saying.........

Ride on.....

Old 08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Cat here

Originally Posted by tstammer
Do I need the Catalytic Converter on my 2010 Road King? The bike sounds terrible due to the converter.
Yes,you can eliminate the cat by going with a different set of pipes.I run Carriage Works True duals W/Supertrapp Fatshots on my 2010 Ultra Limited.I saved my stock cat/headpipe just in case.................Plus the headpipe w/cat,Im told is very pricey($1000??).

Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No you don't have to have the Cat. in there for it to run good, but if you take it out Al Gore might come down and whip your a$$. He's probably in a bad mood since Tipper kicked him to the curb...LOL

Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2010 Road King (for sale) and put a $600 pair of Rineharts on it only to have sound like a sewing machine because of that cat. conv. (it acts just like another muffler). If I were to keep it I would put true duals on it.

Just bought a 2010 Street Glide and the first thing I did was put a V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe on it. That catalytic converter had to go!!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by one-up
I have a 2010 Road King (for sale) and put a $600 pair of Rineharts on it only to have sound like a sewing machine because of that cat. conv.
Now thats the way to advertise your bike that is for sale

Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's what one looks like cut open. It's hard to beleave they can even run.

Attached Thumbnails Catalytic Converter-cat-on-a-2010.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 PM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is an amazing pic - cannot believe that crap is in my pipe!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Here's what one looks like cut open. It's hard to beleave they can even run.
Damn! The pipe looks like it's filled with concrete. So glad I changed out the entire exhaust system.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell no you don't need that cat!!!! Thats what I thought back in 76 when I bought my first corvette. Who would've thought that Pennsylvania would start emmissions testing for annual inspections shortly thereafter??? Don't worry about it, drill it out, throw it away, change pipes, no problem. They'll never do emmissions tests as part of the inspections on motorcyeles. Hey, thats what they told me. Don't worry about it. It will never happen. I just put cat converters back on my jeep wrangler today, needed them to pass inspection= $927.00. Don't worry about them, you'll never need them. They will never smog check bikes! Yeah right!!!!!!!

I would just run straight pipes. Don't worry about, they will never ticket you for loud pipes, never. Don't worry about it. Cops will never ticket you for loud pipes, anywhere in the U.S.
Gary D.

Last edited by g money; 08-05-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter