Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike seems to run hot with fork air deflectors, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,325 Likes on 3,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
Forgot to apologize, gents. Didn't mean to offend anyone. It was "smartass" and won't happen again. I just came across this "forum" thing and there are tons of valueable info and experiences that you all bring. Ride hard and ride safe.
There is a lot of trash talk here and we can handle it, sometimes it's just a bit to swallow from a New Guy....You will like this forum, keep coming back and share some of your knowledge...

Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
the only way to really tell is to mount a Oil temp guage then run the bike with them and with out them and keep records of oil temp... has to be the same temp outsid and same riding conditions to truly find out if they make a difference... It just may be 'perceived' because some of the wind is gone and you can now feel more head off the engine..
I think your right there. I rode yesterday for the first time with the ebay chrome deflectors and my upper kegs felt warmer then normal but my oil gauge read about the same as without the deflectors. Less air on legs and the music could be heard a lot easier at speeds above 60mph. Plus I think they make the front of the SG look good, they blend well with the chrome front end.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM
oscarg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxsts-88
watercop - your oil temperature seems to be in the 'normal' range.
fork wind deflectors shouldn't cause any 'overheating'.

"these old ( style) hd air cooled motors need all the air they can get. I use only a shorted windshield to shield my gauge console from rocks and bugs. I see all these riders with all kinds of fairings, deflectors, high windshields, etc. Who consider themselves "bikers". Isn't the wind what it's all about??? There is a very simple cure if you don't like being "in the wind". It's called a car."

tactical111 - pull your head out of your butt! This is a smartass answer that has little merit!! You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but belittling those who choose to ride with a little protection is out of line!!

most of us ride fl's so we are comfortable and not beat to death at the end of the day's ride! Most of us came up through the ranks of sportsters, wideglides and softails, so we've 'paid our dues' of 'being in the wind'! Some of us are even old enough to have enjoyed riding bare 'knucks, pans & shovelheaded' el's & fl's long before riding a h-d was considered 'cool'...or whatever!! So don't begrudge us the comfort we buy 'full dressers' for.
i wish i had said that !!!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,000 Likes on 21,322 Posts

Originally Posted by watercop
Dont know on the oil cooler, oil seems to circulate ok (hoses get warm) I guess I expected a much bigger temp drop on the highway. It runs about 215-220 in 85 degree weather at 70 MPH. Guess thats good. I do think the deflectors are pushing needed air away from the engine though..
Really? Truth be known, you've got nothing to complian about.
Try riding a hot running 300 degree 96 inch motor. Talk about hot...
I would be ecstatic if my 09 would run " 215-220 in 85 degree weather".

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
These old ( style) HD air cooled motors need all the air they can get. I use only a shorted windshield to shield my gauge console from rocks and bugs. I see all these riders with all kinds of fairings, deflectors, high windshields, etc. who consider themselves "bikers". Isn't the wind what it's all about??? There is a very simple cure if you don't like being "in the wind". It's called a car.

I maybe the odd one out here, but I started on a Honda 50cc
After All you meet the nicest people on a Honda .
Maybe he put Soya Milk in his coffee that day, guys you shouldnt be to hard on him .
Rob

Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 AM
watercop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheez! Didnt expect to stir up any trouble, I dont take much offense to blind internet comments , though I certainly appreciate the apology. I do appreciate the advise and counsel on the fork deflectors

Old 08-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Yeah!!???

That's right Watercop!! It's all your fault! Next round's on me boys. It's all about the ride and as long as it has two wheels that's what's important! Bottom line I guess is anything that blocks air to that air cooled Beast is not helping us is it?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the walrus tusks, chrome fork cup, vented lowers, freedom wings and no more fried thighs with a shorty recurve shield. At 80 it peaceful, so sue me.
My sig pic is my first trip from Michigan to Florida. After adding the air management stuff my second trip was a lot more comfortable. I'd swear the vented lowers deflect air into the engine. Doesn't matter, like someone said, 80 isn't when it heats up, it's idling in Sarasota rush hour in June.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Easter Bunny???

Good point FirstHD, as long as the bike is moving it should survive at least. Ever noticed how different the front spark plug looks from the rear? Kind of like in a car engine where the back plugs run much hotter and are burned cleaner. Hey??? I think I know why I"m not getting my Easter basket any more!!??

Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the chrome fork deflectors back in '07...they've been on and off several times since then. Never really noticed the 'heat' issue any worse, and they do deflect alot of the air hitting me in the neck/upper chest area.....

BUT.......I have a question for you gents runnin' em'....

Do you ever feel like the front end is 'floating'???? or very 'light'??? Almost a 'squirrelly' feeling as far as control. This is why they've been 'off and on' so much. Call me crazy if ya like....just curious if it's common with them...or if it's just ME. I know they're on right.....well, just like the dealer put em on for me way back then.

Thanks
Billy G

Quick Reply: Bike seems to run hot with fork air deflectors, anyone else?