Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike seems to run hot with fork air deflectors, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by watercop
I put a set of fork deflectors on my 06 RKC. Although we have had some 85 plus degree weather our way, it seams the bike runs hotter. Does any one else remove these things when the weather gets warm, or just leave them on. Had one instance this summer where the heat management system kicked in at idle. I do have an HD premium cooler, but frankly, I think its benefits are marginal.
I take mine off for summer. It's a 5 minute job and while I don't know if the motor runs any cooler, I sure feel better.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default "Sailing, takes me away..."

Good point, SR, though I've never used the leg deflectors I've noticed on a Fatboy with solid wheels the wind at certain angles ( i.e. 20-45 headwind) over about 70 mph really pushes the bike sideways. Question on those deflectors would be does the wind get deflected to the side, down, up, in or a combination? Like a "wing" on the back of a race car pushes down on the back of the car at higher speeds what exactly are these deflectors doing to the bike as speed increases? Harleys are not aerodynamic masterpieces to begin with and I personally feel 100 mph is the realistic limit for safety depending on wind conditions ( or less) and depending on the specific bike's set up ( at least for mine right now) . I'm on my way right now to my mechanic's to get the Glide Pro swingarm bushing upgrade/front motor mount, Custom Cycle s.s. spherical cleve bearings, and stock height Progressive Suspension fork springs installed. I'm hoping to eliminate some of that mushy, floating, unstable feeling myself.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyG0856
I installed the chrome fork deflectors back in '07...they've been on and off several times since then. Never really noticed the 'heat' issue any worse, and they do deflect alot of the air hitting me in the neck/upper chest area.....

BUT.......I have a question for you gents runnin' em'....

Do you ever feel like the front end is 'floating'???? or very 'light'??? Almost a 'squirrelly' feeling as far as control. This is why they've been 'off and on' so much. Call me crazy if ya like....just curious if it's common with them...or if it's just ME. I know they're on right.....well, just like the dealer put em on for me way back then.

Thanks
Billy G
My deflectors ride the air up into the freedom wings on the underside of my front fairing. On cooler days the air goes around me, on warmer days I open the wings and divert the air into me. The smooth stream of air beats buffeting. So I guess yes, the air does hit me in the chest, when I want it to.

As for the floating, I had my fork oil changed for the first time and what a difference. The mechanic said 50K on fork oil is rediculous, 20K is the max he recommends and he personnaly changes his front fork oil every 10K. I had no idea that it would make that big of a difference but leaned over in a long sweeper in rush hour at 80 mph on rain grooves the front end feels solid again. I get feedback from the grooves but it feels in control.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

All pre 2008 Baggers should check out the "Tech" section at Glide-Pro dot com; if for nothing else a short info session complete with the actual hardware showing what a HD bagger's suspension is all about. I recently installed the kit including the front motor mount and Custom Cycle s.s. cleve bearings to replace the OEM rubber set up. Wow, what a difference. Now when I shake the handle bars only the front end moves and the bike feels like it's on a rail cornering.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife got burned (red skin) below the knee on the right side on an 80 mile trip last weekend. Just too much heat back there with my RK Classic. So, today I removed the fork deflectors hoping that will throw a little more air back her way and keep it a little cooler on the back right side. I'll let you know how that works out after the next test ride.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 AM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
I leave my wind delectors on all year. doesn't seem to run any hotter than anyone else's. wonder why your premium oil cooler doesn't work any better??
Have to agree with you!