Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received one today and just finished installing it onto my 09 CVO Ultra. The installation is not difficult if you simply follow the instructions. You have to add some wires to the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the radio. Of the 35 pins on the harness, the ones that I had to add to were empty with plugs so setup was a breeze... The whole thing took me about 20 minutes and that included running the cable along the crash bar and into my lower glove box where the ipod is. Once I turned on the radio, it immediately recognized the ipod. It should be noted that because I have the CVO Ultra, I have the CB, XM, Nav and now the Ipod... I didn't lose anything. Now that this is on there, if I plug anything into the Aux in on the front of the radio, a page 2 of inputs becomes available to show AUX... therefore, that port is still available too. It's all plug and play, no software update required. Everything works from the handlebar controls and soft buttons on the radio. The artist and title show up on the screen too.
I'm pleased, I've been waiting for a setup like this. It's a clean installation and simply works!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM
FLHTim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ferromet
I received one today and just finished installing it onto my 09 CVO Ultra. The installation is not difficult if you simply follow the instructions. You have to add some wires to the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the radio. Of the 35 pins on the harness, the ones that I had to add to were empty with plugs so setup was a breeze... The whole thing took me about 20 minutes and that included running the cable along the crash bar and into my lower glove box where the ipod is. Once I turned on the radio, it immediately recognized the ipod. It should be noted that because I have the CVO Ultra, I have the CB, XM, Nav and now the Ipod... I didn't lose anything. Now that this is on there, if I plug anything into the Aux in on the front of the radio, a page 2 of inputs becomes available to show AUX... therefore, that port is still available too. It's all plug and play, no software update required. Everything works from the handlebar controls and soft buttons on the radio. The artist and title show up on the screen too.
I'm pleased, I've been waiting for a setup like this. It's a clean installation and simply works!

Are you able to change play lists and is the cable that came with the interface long enough to reach the handlebars? I have a hawg wired amp sitting on top of my radio and wondering if there is enough room for the interface?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM
jgreg65
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 31 Posts

how is the operation from the handle bar switches? Also how long are the cables? What about putting it in a saddle bag?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
jgreg65
Road Master

Originally Posted by hdstreetglide08
I paid over $300 for the Harmon-Kardin Drive-N-Play to control the ipod in my Jeep. It has a little dash display and sure is a lot nicer than trying to change songs on the ipod. I think I might give this a shot this winter.
$300 ??? I picked one up on eBay brand new from a seller on buy it now that had 100 of them for $20.00 shipping included sorry HD.

I havent installed it only because I didnt want to hack up the dash board. Now with this kit, looks like it will be a winter project.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLHTim
Are you able to change play lists and is the cable that came with the interface long enough to reach the handlebars? I have a hawg wired amp sitting on top of my radio and wondering if there is enough room for the interface?
Yes, you are able to change playlists on the soft buttons on the head unit. You can scroll through the playlists while your listening. From the head unit you can choose playlists, artists, albums and genre. The cable is 4' long... plenty long enough to reach the handlebars... like I said, I routed it all the way into the lowers glovebox with a couple feet to spare. The interface isn't that big. Even with the amp, you should be able to fit it in there. I actually placed mine long ways (perpindicular) over the Nav and Sat units... I attached it with 3M Moulding tape. It's not going anywhere.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgreg65
how is the operation from the handle bar switches? Also how long are the cables? What about putting it in a saddle bag?
The handlebar switches work like you would expect... left is volume and settings, right will switch songs up or down. If you hold it up or down it will fast forward or rewind the song being played. They got this one right.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLHTim
You can also choose shuffle and repeat

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgreg65
Running it to the saddle bag requires the extension cable that is listed under the description on the HD website.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
BlackeyCole
Novice

I just paid around $150 for the same thing from iSimple for my 08 F350 King Ranch factory radio. I asked them about one for the HD and no go so figuring everything with HD on it is twice the price it is priced about right. This is not a slam on HD but a realization that the HD logo makes things costs more and I accept it. I will probably buy this once the review is in as I have been looking for something like this since getting the bike in Feb. My 06 UC will be iPod complete by Jan 2011.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM
jgreg65
Road Master

Ferromet - Fantastic Review!! Ok I'm in but I'll wait to do it for a winter project. Spent way too much this year on mods. When the snow flys I need something to do other than chrome and wax LOL. Thanks again BIG TIME

Quick Reply: iPod interface