Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Found a problem. The thing sounded great in the garage. When I got out onto the road the sound was terrible. There was a terrible echo (like reverb) and although all of the speakers were putting out sound, the vocals all seemed like they were coming from a tunnel and from the right speakers only. Naturally, I opened back up the fairing to double check all of my connections. They were correct per the instructions. I started some trial and error and decided to disconnect some of the 5 pins that go into the 35 pin wiring harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. When I would disconnect one of the tan wires (tan/red or tan/blue) the sound would suddenly be crisp, clear and well balanced, the echo was gone. Plugging that pin back in would immediately bring back the echo and the vocals coming out of one channel but sound coming out of all of the speakers. Leaving one of the wires disconnected cost no functionality in terms of control and gave me great sound and I still seem to have proper stereo sound. The only thing I would notice is a small amount of static when switching between tracks on the ipod. This static is not there when the wire is connected per the instructions but the sound just sucks that way.

Here's my hypothesis... Because I have an '09 CVO Ultra, my bike has the external amp which is mounted under the tour pack. It would be reasonable to assume that there are built in crossovers in this amp setup. The wires, when connected per the instructions seem to be interfering with the crossovers... again, a guess. Having said this, I'm guessing that there is a different wiring setup that should be done with a system like mine that has the Harley Amp. Unfortunately, the instructions make no mention of this whatsoever. The instructions seem to be for the standard HK setup without the amp.

I've left the one wire disconnected and the sound is great on the road and I can't hear the static at all unless I'm in my silent garage. I'm not crazy about the fact that I've had to jury rig the thing to get it to work well but I'm happy with the setup now. I'd be a bit happier if I knew exactly what was going on here.

There's more to this story... any insight would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM
roadcapt
Cruiser

Just thought I would post a cheap way of mounting an ipod that I just started using before heading out to Sturgis. I bought a RAM Mount adapter for my Iphone ( which has the ipod built in) and connected that to my handlebar. I then use a cord to connect the iphone to the Aux port on the radio. Works great and I can easily change the song if need be. The Iphone adapter cost 9.00 and the RAM mount itself is around 30.00

Here is the link for the apple RAM Mount adapters for other types of ipods:
http://www.ram-mount.com/EmptyPages/...9/Default.aspx

http://

Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

My each CD holds about 100 songs now by using MP3 format for recording so save your $ 400 + and leave i pod behind and no hassle just listen to your MP3 CDs.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

try riders claw i-pod holder and i-phones. i have a black holder for my i-pod nano and love it. it mounts up on the handle bars and comes with wires everything you need. they also come in chrome.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
FLHTim
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ferromet
Update: Found a problem. The thing sounded great in the garage. When I got out onto the road the sound was terrible. There was a terrible echo (like reverb) and although all of the speakers were putting out sound, the vocals all seemed like they were coming from a tunnel and from the right speakers only. Naturally, I opened back up the fairing to double check all of my connections. They were correct per the instructions. I started some trial and error and decided to disconnect some of the 5 pins that go into the 35 pin wiring harness that plugs into the back of the head unit. When I would disconnect one of the tan wires (tan/red or tan/blue) the sound would suddenly be crisp, clear and well balanced, the echo was gone. Plugging that pin back in would immediately bring back the echo and the vocals coming out of one channel but sound coming out of all of the speakers. Leaving one of the wires disconnected cost no functionality in terms of control and gave me great sound and I still seem to have proper stereo sound. The only thing I would notice is a small amount of static when switching between tracks on the ipod. This static is not there when the wire is connected per the instructions but the sound just sucks that way.

Here's my hypothesis... Because I have an '09 CVO Ultra, my bike has the external amp which is mounted under the tour pack. It would be reasonable to assume that there are built in crossovers in this amp setup. The wires, when connected per the instructions seem to be interfering with the crossovers... again, a guess. Having said this, I'm guessing that there is a different wiring setup that should be done with a system like mine that has the Harley Amp. Unfortunately, the instructions make no mention of this whatsoever. The instructions seem to be for the standard HK setup without the amp.

I've left the one wire disconnected and the sound is great on the road and I can't hear the static at all unless I'm in my silent garage. I'm not crazy about the fact that I've had to jury rig the thing to get it to work well but I'm happy with the setup now. I'd be a bit happier if I knew exactly what was going on here.

There's more to this story... any insight would be appreciated.
Try looking at an electrical manual for the two wires in question. Sometimes when I don't insert the pin in the ipod fully I kinda get distorted sound.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
+1 on that thought. I burn MP3 CD's and can fit around 150 songs on a regular 80mb disk. Don't have to mess around with another device, also much more economic plus I can use the handle bar controls and view the screen!
who needs and IPOD?
hmm, lets see. 150 songs on 1 disk vs thousands on an ipod. disks you have to store, and if you want to listen to something else, you're making a stop. ipod you plug in and go.

i have a sandisk clip, 4 gb internal memory, plus an additional 8gb memory card. i still have almost 4gb free and have almost 900 songs on it. i just put it on shuffle, and hit play. plugs into the aux jack on the radio. tiny piece of velcro on the handlebar right next to the gauge nacelle. i can control the volume by the hand controls, and if i really must, i can easily reach it to forward to the next track. but i don't usually do that, i figure it's like my own radio station, with no commercials.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

subscribed

Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLHTim
Try looking at an electrical manual for the two wires in question. Sometimes when I don't insert the pin in the ipod fully I kinda get distorted sound.
Unfortunately, I don't have an electrical manual for this unit since it's only been out for a few weeks. I made certain that the pins into the wiring harness on the back of the radio were fully in and making good contact. The plug that goes into the ipod itself was in all the way too... I even tried three different ipods just to be sure that the ipod itself wasn't part of the prob.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
FLHTim
Cruiser

The manual needed is for the bike. If I understand you correctly the harness is for the radio, didn't you take that off to insert the new pins or is it the new wires/pins that are giving you trouble

Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Ferromet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLHTim
The manual needed is for the bike. If I understand you correctly the harness is for the radio, didn't you take that off to insert the new pins or is it the new wires/pins that are giving you trouble
Yes, on the wiring loop that comes with the ipod control module there are several connectors and then there are also five wires with pins that need to be inserted into the harness that attaches to the back of the radio. That harness (the 35 pin connector) must be removed from the radio to have the pins inserted and then reattached. The five new pins go into number specific holes. In my case, they were the only 5 holes that were available (CVO already has NAV and XM installed) but there were correct per the instructions. On the connector to the radio there are numbers to show you the proper numbering of the connector holes so I am absolutely certain they are correct.

It's the new wires/pins that are causing the problem. the old ones didn't change. Like I said earlier, it sounds great now, I just wish I had a proper set of instructions for my bike. If you don't have the Harley amp, I don't think there would be any problem at all.

Quick Reply: iPod interface