Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbin Dual Tour

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Corbin Dual Tour

What a seat!

I ride a lot. I commute, I pleasure ride, and I go on long weekend trips (2500 miles between Friday and Sunday). I've been using an early 2009 seat modified by MCC, which I bought from a friend of mine. The MCC seat was lower and further back than the stock seat, and also had a much narrower nose. The guy it was modified for is 5'6", probably 230 pounds. I'm 6'2", 190 pounds. The MCC seat is comfortable, but on anything longer than a few hours, I get hotspots and pressure points, and my left leg starts to go numb. I don't hold that against MCC, the seat wasn't built for me.

I looked really hard at both the Hammock and Air Zeppelin seats, but I won't buy another vinyl seat. Leather breathes better and is more comfortable for the long haul.

I considered a Russell Day Long, but they only build seats on an existing pan. The seats I have are the crap Harley pans, and I couldn't see spending a grand to build a seat on them.

I looked at every seat out there, and most of them had a lower seating position that was farther back. I didn't really want either of those things, especially the lowering. For long range comfort, you want your knees below your hips.

I ride a C&C Squareback on the Night Train, and I love that seat. It's a work of art that is surprisingly comfortable for a low-profile seat. Given that, I ordered one of their "new" touring seats (not a Sport Tour). It shipped quickly, and as expected was a work of art. Unfortunately, it wasn't designed to work with saddlebag guards, so back it went.

I've heard mixed things about Corbins, but most of the complaints have been that they're too firm. The 'Train's C&C is all sorts of firm, so I figured I wouldn't have a problem with the Corbin.

So it showed up Friday. The seat, the rider backrest, and the passenger backrest for the tour pack. Installation took all of 20 minutes for everything. It's a beautiful seat. Not quite the craftsmanship of the C&C, but I can live with that (especially since the C&C didn't fit). The surprising thing was that the passenger backrest doesn't use the elaborate shock-mounting system that the stock one uses. It also only mounts with one screw on either side, rather than the two screws the factory rest uses. Also, the lower pad Velcros on to the tour pack, rather than using screws like the stock one. I haven't installed this piece yet, as I want to get some rubber plugs for the screw holes. At any rate, the result of this is that your passenger has about another inch of room compared to the stock backrest, and has much more arm support.

Yesterday the wife and I rode around 190 miles in 5-1/2 hours. I could have kept going. No pain, no butt burn, no numbness or tingling. I do sort of miss the adjustable backrest, but I can live without it.

Unfortunately, the wife wasn't as pleased. The firmness wasn't really the issue as much as the extra room. She found herself sliding around more than she'd prefer. I'm hoping that with a lumbar pillow she'll be fine.

At any rate, a big thumbs-up to Corbin and to Tri-State H/D who got me 20% off of the thing.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

As for the plugs, I had a chopped box on the RG, didn't use a back pad, bought some black plastic plugs at my local TSC store, fit perfect in the holes...just a heads up.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mounted my Corbin Classic solo seat Saturday. I was a bit surprised how firm it is. They say you have to break them in. I guess it's a decent cruise around town seat but I don't think I want to go on any long rides with it. At least not yet.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
I mounted my Corbin Classic solo seat Saturday. I was a bit surprised how firm it is. They say you have to break them in. I guess it's a decent cruise around town seat but I don't think I want to go on any long rides with it. At least not yet.
The seat looks great on your bike. I think Corbin says something like 2000 miles, but I think it's really about repetitive cycles... getting in and out of it over a period of time. After about a month (if you tend to ride frequently), your seat should start changing shape very subtly. It's never going to be a soft seat, but once it conforms to your shape a bit, it should provide you all the support you could ever hope for.

I think it's in long rides where the Corbin seats really shine. I can go for hours with absolutely no butt fatigue in the slightest. The soft seats feel good at first, but pretty soon have me squirming around trying to find a comfortable position. Even the Mustang seat I used to have was not as comfortable as my Corbin on long rides.

I don't think I'll ever have anything but a Corbin, unless someone comes up with something better, which I haven't seen yet.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode 1000 miles in 23 hours and could have kept going if it weren't for lack of sleep on my dual tourer. Break it in and you'll never buy another seat. My wife hasn't liked it so far, but I believe she hasn't ridden enough to break the passenger seat in to her liking yet.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm content with my dual tour.
I just put another 2800 miles on it last week!
The last day of the ride was a 700 mile push to get home.

I've tried a lot of seats and this one works the best for me so far for long trips.I only have 6500 miles on it but it seems to keep my back in a comfortable position and my butt doesn't complain much so I'm happy!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Took a trip this past weekend up through Canada into Michigan, then through Ohio for a Tony Packo's hot dog, then back home. 1350 miles in 3 days, with around 750 of those on Friday. I spent nearly 14 hours in the saddle and could have ridden another 14. Even on the last leg yesterday I had no pain, hot spots, or numbness. I have never been this comfortable on any motorcycle seat.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
mtyson227
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any pics of the seat on your bike?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I'll snap a few tomorrow.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Crappy cell phone pics, but they should give you an idea.

Attached Thumbnails Corbin Dual Tour-img_0409.jpg   Corbin Dual Tour-img_0410.jpg  

Quick Reply: Corbin Dual Tour