Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blowing fuses

I have 08 SG and have a short that takes out a 15 amp Aux. fuse . The circuit includes brake lights, turn signals ,horn and cruise control . I have searched high and low for a pinch point I have isolated the horn and tail lights I can't find the short anywhere . It's a direct short it blows right away as soon as I turn on the key.Tail light works , no brake light,turn signals, horn or Cruise control. Any help ?????????

Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sence it involves brake lights and is on a factory lowered bike the first place I would check is the wiring harness that gos to the rear lights. This harness runs under the fender and can be hit by the rear tire when the bike bottoms out on hard bump. The tire will strip away the insulation on the wires and then it grounds out on the rear fender and blows the fuse.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
brohoss
Tourer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

had the same problem on a ride several weeks ago, looked high and low for the problem,
then got to thinking, the cig lighter fell out, and i stepped on it and put it back in.
problem was, lighter was out of round, bending the tines against the inner housing, causing
the short. check the lighter just in case.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:27 PM
endress1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuse

I have an 07 FLHTCU and the cigarette lighter blows the fuse everytime now. Then no brake light, turn signals or horn. It has been blowing them since I bought after market lighters from parts store. Apparently HD has a different round than them and dont fit "exact". Rub and cause a short..... I smoke less now.. I need to get another lighter, cause I use it on accident, and bam, fuse is gone.... 99.9% of this fuse getting blown is the lighter or socket causing it... Take it easy all... E

Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
Sence it involves brake lights and is on a factory lowered bike the first place I would check is the wiring harness that gos to the rear lights. This harness runs under the fender and can be hit by the rear tire when the bike bottoms out on hard bump. The tire will strip away the insulation on the wires and then it grounds out on the rear fender and blows the fuse.
What he said......

Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 AM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me twice. In both cases it was the rear brake light switch. My bike was not included in the recall. Go figure.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain

I have had the same problem but with the front lights. Found that a light bulb was shorted and causing the fuse to blow. Then shortly after that the other light shorted out. Now all the front spot and low beam lights have been changed. No more problems.

Hope that works.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

It was a chewed up rear light harness, under the fender.
Don't know why the bike would be built in such a way that it is possible to hit the harness with the rear tire when the load is too heavy, or the air pressure is too low, but that wa the problem.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
kcsoh53
Stage III

My 09 street glide blows the ignition fuse when I pull the set button back after it has been set once. So when I ride and set the cruise, slow down and reset the cruise the ignitioon fuse blows. Have already replaced the switch module. Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

No idea. Sorry buddy...............

Quick Reply: Blowing fuses