Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Bra questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:56 AM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Bra questions

i purchased a tank bra for my Ultra and messed with putting it on tonight. I nearly dinged the paint several times with the hook on the back strap. Almost installed it did not resemble the picture on the box. Does the Ultra seat go up to far for the bra to be effective. I am noticing marks in the paint in the lower area of my tank on the right side of the seat. My tank has 3 or 4 coats of wax already but I thought the bra might help. Any suggestions????
Jeff

Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 AM
rrockefe
Cruiser
Default RE: Tank Bra questions

I can't answer your question, but just a word of caution. I have read other posts on this subject that indicates dust can collect under the tank bra and really do a job on your paint. Possibly worse than what you are doing with your leg contact on the tank sides.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
bradteed
Advanced

My ultra seat doesn't cover too much of the bra. The bra covers the right/left sides of the tank where my inner thigh tends to rub the paint.

rrockefe is indeed correct in that you need to be very diligent about only installing when the bike is clean and taking it off after your ride. Dust flies underneath the bra very easily and then rubs your paint like sandpaper.

After two long trips with the bra, it became quite a bothersome exercise and I relegated it to the parts drawer. The amount of rubbing that my leg does on the tank isn't significant enough to risk the damage that bra will cause.

To get the "chaps rub" out of my tank, i've used a mild polishing compound. Works great.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one on my bike when I went to Sturgis, I thought it would help with the rub I was putting on my tank...
What really happened was all the dust and dirt collected under the bra and I ended up buffing the tank out and polishing for a few hours to get the sratches out.

I struggled getting it on also, use a set of neddle nose pliers to pull the hook thru underneath the tank...

I have it sitting in my parts cabinet if anyone is intersted

[IMG]local://upfiles/4286/38FFC2F1555E4986BF58E225CBC620AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Sreynold1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DITTO...pain in the ****!!!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
PSO169
Road Master

I think I am going to return the Bra. It pi@#$d me off while I was trying to install it last night. Maybe with a few beers I could have done it, but donated blood and was on duty today. I am trying to hit the tank with the Meguires NXT time after I wash it.
Jeff

Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 glad you are taking it back. I have many scratches from mine.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,786 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Ya...I just like taking them off.....oops wrong type.[8D]

Old 09-07-2006, 09:21 AM
bradteed
Advanced

ORIGINAL: PSO169

I think I am going to return the Bra. It pi@#$d me off while I was trying to install it last night. Maybe with a few beers I could have done it, but donated blood and was on duty today. I am trying to hit the tank with the Meguires NXT time after I wash it.
Jeff
PSO, get some Harley Glaze....I've used NXT in the past and use it on my white nissan, but compared to the NXT, the Harley Glaze makes that Vivid Black look like glass!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I do not have any problems at all with mine. I keep the tank waxed, and keep the underside of the bra clean. Never had an issue with getting the hook hooked up under the tank either. I think that it saves me a lot of time and effort of getting rid of scratches left on the tank from jeans and or chaps.

Bob

Quick Reply: Tank Bra questions