Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my front motor mount is broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I think my front motor mount is broke

I recently have started hearing a metal clanging sound coming from the front of the bike. Every time I looked I couldn't see anything. Saturday I had replaced the cam cover, stupid f%#&*$ $2.00 screw cost me a hundred bucks. Any way I get it all back together and fire it up and lay in front and listen and look and the best I can tell is it is coming from the motor mount. There has bee a little more vibration than usual and I know that the EVO motor vibrates. Is it going to be hard to replace? I do my own wrenching. I suspect I should replace all the mounts since I'm at it.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggestDawg
I recently have started hearing a metal clanging sound coming from the front of the bike. Every time I looked I couldn't see anything. Saturday I had replaced the cam cover, stupid f%#&*$ $2.00 screw cost me a hundred bucks. Any way I get it all back together and fire it up and lay in front and listen and look and the best I can tell is it is coming from the motor mount. There has bee a little more vibration than usual and I know that the EVO motor vibrates. Is it going to be hard to replace? I do my own wrenching. I suspect I should replace all the mounts since I'm at it.
It is easy to replace. You need a jack to support the weight of the engine and lift it a little. If you do your own wrenching I trust you have a factory workshop manual?! Replacing the rear mounts is a bit more involved and you will need that jack again!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

its not hard to change, just takes a little bit of time. go over all the other fasteners while you are at it, its always the weird stuff that shakes loose.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can verify it's the mount by laying on the ground at the front of the engine and place a screwdriver between the mount's large flat washer and the lower frame.
Just twist the screwdriver a bit (to kind of stabilize the mount a little) to see if the noise goes away.
Also ... a flashlight to see how the rubber is doing down there might be telling.

If you do need to replace the mount ...... as others have said ..... it's easy to do.

You will have to remove the center bolt, and the mount's two side bolts, then jack up the motor a bit in the frame.
Then loosen the bolts that holds the plate to the engine, that the front heim joint attaches to. This will allow you enough space to lift that plate up so you can get the old mount out and pop the new one in.

I found the original 'style and rubber type' mount (from an aftermarket mfg.) here:

http://motoscycle.com/store/index.html

1 26037 Front Rubber Engine Mount MU26037 $15.50 $15.50

Delivered price was $21.

These older type front mounts were replaced by the a newer type, that has softer rubber and are felt to be worse than the original mounts, which are also getting hard to find anymore.

Next time I need to replace I will probably go to the Glide-Pro, but at a lot less money .... I used this one because I lucked out and found a place that still has the original type.

Last edited by flyer91; 08-03-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM
bigtwin1228
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to www.glidepro.com they have a video on how to replace it and a better mount then the HD one. Check it out.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
stamper5498
Road Captain

could it be the fairing mount brackets?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 AM
obritt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They list this mount for a '06. Does anyone know if they will fit an '07?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtwin1228
Go to www.glidepro.com they have a video on how to replace it and a better mount then the HD one. Check it out.
I followed your link and it took me to some fitness web site

Old 08-06-2010, 05:32 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
watercop
Cruiser

easy to replace...just follow the instructions. Dont over torque it.

Quick Reply: I think my front motor mount is broke