Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 PM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
Talked to service manager who works on my bike about this Wednesday. He says HD has recognized the problem enough to correct it on new bikes, but not enough to recall. If under factory warranty, the MoCo will replace with the SE compensator under terms of the warrNty. If under ESP, will not replace the OEM with SE, but willet you pay the difference to upgrade. Not great - but I am getting replaced as soon as I get home and tKe the scoot in for the 30K.
Good luck. I've approached my dealership about a compensator upgrade (my 2010 FLHTK was purchased this July) and they said the "knock" wasn't bad enough. How bad does a knock have to be on a brand new bike that costs this much coin?

Unimpressed...

Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 AM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Propcut
I have a 2010 Street Glide with 1800 miles. Iv'e had the bike to the stealer twice for a sound I'm hearing while the clutch is disenguaged and I blip the throttle to down shift. To be honest the sound resembles a single ping like engine knock. It seams to be from the left side of the bike. I work with a former H-D engineer. He says that it is unlikley that the engine would single ping with no load. He called a couple of people that he used to work with at the MOCO and they suggest that the sound is metal or mechanical at or around the compensator. Does any one else hear a pinging sound when bliping the throttle?
My bike makes that sound! I thought it was pinging but was told the same thing you were that it wont Ping without any load on it.

I was afraid to take it to the dealer and show them because I thought it was being caused by my PCV or other Mods but I just had it Dynod and I know its not that.

Going there today to show it to them and let them hear it themselves and see what they say.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
myred55
Road Master

Went on a 150 mile ride today and can hear a sound like marbles bouncing around in a coffee can. Sound sounded like it was coming from the front of the motor. Stopped for gas and when I started the bike the starter clunk sounded like the gears were going to drop out the bottom of the motor. I'm taking the bike to the dealer tomorrow.
Does this sound like a compensator problem?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain

Does anyone have any facts on Harley replacing the compensator with the SE one if the bike still under factory warranty?? Im staring to have problems with mine and talked to dealer friday, they say they will only replace with stock comp. under warranty but can pay the difference for the SE version at time of repair. I read here that they were replacing with the SE under fatory warranty, what gives??? Need documentation if this is true.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
fuzz35
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this problem has been out there for a while...my 07 SG had the same problem 11 days ( i think) out of warranty..thankfully we were pulling out of the garage when it come apart,..they covered it, but no one mentioned the idea of upgrading, then again it has been a couple years...looks like there are enough bikes with the problem HD should do somethin about it...

Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
myred55
Road Master

Originally Posted by 09BlueRoadKing
Does anyone have any facts on Harley replacing the compensator with the SE one if the bike still under factory warranty?? Im staring to have problems with mine and talked to dealer friday, they say they will only replace with stock comp. under warranty but can pay the difference for the SE version at time of repair. I read here that they were replacing with the SE under fatory warra nty, what gives??? Need documentation if this is true.
If the Compensator replacement is under warranty does anyone know what the cost is to upgrade to the SE compensator?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 09BlueRoadKing
Does anyone have any facts on Harley replacing the compensator with the SE one if the bike still under factory warranty?? Im staring to have problems with mine and talked to dealer friday, they say they will only replace with stock comp. under warranty but can pay the difference for the SE version at time of repair. I read here that they were replacing with the SE under fatory warranty, what gives??? Need documentation if this is true.
I've mentioned this before, but my dealer says that Harley tech support swears that H-D has NEVER replaced a compensator with an SE version, and H-D further states that if any dealer did so, that the either the dealer or the customer paid the difference for the upgrade.

I can't prove that they have installed one under warranty, since when I posted I thought I would get a ton of responses stating that they did have an SE installed for no charge, and that the dealer didn't pay either. That didn't happen, so I guess it must be true that any SE's installed were not done under warranty, the either the customer or the dealer paid the difference for the SE over the price of what H-D pays for the OEM compensator.

My dealer won't even allow me to pay the difference; if I want the SE, I have to pay 100% of the parts and labor and my feeling at this point is that the dealer isn't even receptive to that.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it the problem does not go back the the 88s? I have had no issues.

spiz

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by spizzyman
I take it the problem does not go back the the 88s? I have had no issues.

spiz
I think it started showing up on the 2007 / 96" models. I had three TwinCam 88's and never had this problem.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is in the shop as we speak, waiting to here from moco whether I pay or they pay to replace the OEM comp. or put the SE comp. in.

They replaced the comp. two weeks ago with an OEM and now it start like its got 11.1 compresion when hot. It didn't do that before the comp was replaced.

The viberation and loud starts are gone, now just hard to start.

Quick Reply: Problems with Compensator