Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a couple issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM
jorswift
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a couple issues.....

Hello all. I have a few problems with my '03 RKC.

First off,

I took the bike to the dealer to get services and a couple leaks fixed. They put a new motor mount on as well and now the bike seems to a much more aggressive vibration. Is this normal. I do have a PCMIII on it, would you think it needs to be remapped again?

Second,
My front brake seems to be very squishy. It is full of fluid and I tried bleeding them, but the lever still is not very stiff. I can almost touch the grip with the lever. The brakes do work, just the lever is very squishy. Do I need to bleed some more?

THIRD AND MOST IMPORTANT,
I have a broken exhaust stud. Happened yesterday on a ride. It is sticking out a good ways, so I have some stud left to play with. What is the best or easiest way to remove and install a new one? I was thinking about putting 2 nuts on it, jamming 1, and backing it out. What have you all done? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 AM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Only thing I can speak to is the front brake. I would suggest bleeding again. When I did mine, I had my wife work the brake while I put the wrench to the caliper (sp). Obviously it doesn't hold much fluid so you may need to add some as you're bleeding. Good luck

Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Get yourself some speed bleeder nipples. Having to have another person to help bleed brakes is a drag. You still have air in those lines assuming everything is OK with your MC.

What did the dealer remove and reassemble to fix those leaks? What was leaking?

BTW, I think the newer motor mounts for your bike are made of a stiffer material and that is why you are feeling more vibration. Someone that knows the details will chime-in on that I am sure.

How did you notice the broken exhaust stud after your ride? Did the nut fall off and allow one side of the header to separate and cause popping from a leak? Heck, I don't look at my exhaust studs after every ride. Just wondering.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did air get into the brake system? Did you start by bleeding the master cylinder first? The air could be trapped up there.

The two nut technique should work as long as the stud isn't seized in the head. Soak it in wd-40 for a little while before trying.

I agree the new mount is prbably stiffer and sending more vibes thru the frame.

cheers

Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
jorswift
Road Captain

The leaks were from the inner primary and behind the speed sensor. Those were fixed by HD dealer. The mount was also replaced by HD dealer.

The brakes have, just always seemed squishy since I bought the bike, but noticably more now. I had the help of my Dad last night bleeding, but we didnt seem to get much or any air at all out. I did buy some more fluid so we can go at it again.

The front exhaust header popped halfway out on me about 3/4 the way home. The top front stud, broke and the bottom front was loose. Not sure if HD dealer messed with front header to fix broken mount or not. I see they do have some stud extractor kits and tools out there.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After you re-bleed the front brakes try the following:
1. turn the bars full to the left
2. Use a cable tie to hold the brake lever tight to the grip.
3. Let the bike sit overnight like this.
4. Tap on the upper brake hose a few times in the morning.

Any small bubbles that could have been trapped in the upper line or junction block should have had an opportunity to float up and into the master cylinder this way. The dual disc brakes can be a bear to get all the air out of.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
springer3
Tourer

make sure you put right dot fuild in!!im not sure about 03 rk but its prob dot 5 purple not dot 3 3 will break down seals!!! I would say the vib is a tuner problem but go threw and make sure the nuts and two bolts on motor mount are tight!
There are a couple of way to get the broke stud out. If it was broke off where you couldnt get nut on you could get a welder hold a nut over the broke stub and puddle the weld up threw the nut but since you have threat to get two on ,i would put some penetration oil on it let it sit may a couple hours and then double nut it after its been doulbe nutted before you start trying to get it out you need to heat the stud with little torch and then try and break it lose the stud needs to get hot and it should pop out if you break it off the rest of way weld it up like i said!!!i would replace the other stud on the head while you were there because it probly weaken when the other one broke..
If the double nut starts to spin i would tap weld it anyway!!
Back to front brake i would look at cal and make sure the seal hasnt started to leak.
I bet you a beer the vib is from a tuning issue,,ask around a find a tuner in your area just cause it says Harley dealer does not mean there the best to tune your bike..

Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

as far as the stud...double nutting it may work..if it doesn't (the nuts still turn) try a drop of red locktite on the threads, put the first nut on apply locktite to the threads and then put on the second nut, tighten to two together and wait a day to try and remove them, if that still doesn't work you can weld a nut to the stud...you caould try a stud extractor, but I am not sure you can get one into the area...the motor mount is probably harder than the original so you feel more vibration now, it will prolly get better with time...

Last edited by mrfikser; 05-16-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 PM
jorswift
Road Captain

Thanks to all. I was successful at getting out the broke stud and the other by usind the double nut method.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
bxtzd3
Intermediate

recently we seen a rk trade come in with the motor mount installed upside down. may be what your feeling. just a thought. it did make his king feel a little more vibration.