Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - floorboard extender bolt broke

Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drill into it with a bit about half the size of the bolt diameter then try an easy out(screw extractor). Best to start small just in case it doesn't work the first try you can drill a little bigger and you don't get into the threads. Take your time it can be an aggrevating job removing broken bolts. Lesson learned, if it seems like it shouldn't be that hard, then it probably shouldn't. Good luck.

Last edited by VETERAN75; 08-31-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

went up to ace and got a drill bit and extractor. will set up the jackstand and give it a go. appreciate all the advice. tom, appreciate you jumping in. will get back to you after a bit. I picked up a couple of bolts while up at ace so thats no prob. gonna move her up on the deck where i can be in the shade and take my time. Appreciate the tip about the compressed air. will give it a try. Will let you know how it goes.

cass

Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
I picked up a couple of bolts while up at ace so thats no prob.
You did make sure you got Grade 8 or better bolts, correct? If not, you are in for another surprise in the future ..........

Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the cruise control, the switch is sold by itself. Had one go bad on my '07 four days into a three week trip last year, and got an upgraded (and more $) one to replace.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, not much progress. I used a real fine drill and was making some progress, then the drill snapped off inside the hole. if it weren't for bad luck I'd have none at all on this job. went up and bought a couple of new carbide drill bits....not even scratching it from what i can tell. guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow and see if i can pick up somethng stronger than the carbide drill.

cass

Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to go to an Indy or a dealer and see if they can get it out. Did you try PB Blaster or WD 40?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
slack20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran a thread chaser through the holes first and a dye on the bolts when i installed mine they started goin in real tight so i backed them out tapped-dyed problem solved

Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jvvjvv
I had to run a die over a couple of the bolts supplied with the kit..........TOO much plating.
Not necessarily.
The fastener threads being used for plating should be made smaller/larger to allow for plating build up.
Companies producing these chrome fastners should be using thread gages to check the finished product.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Not necessarily.
The fastener threads being used for plating should be made smaller/larger to allow for plating build up.
Companies producing these chrome fastners should be using thread gages to check the finished product.
Yep, Your right, with a good quality chrome bolt You will not have any problems............To the OP, Glad it did'nt break during a ride, which could have been nasty.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
Well, not much progress. I used a real fine drill and was making some progress, then the drill snapped off inside the hole. if it weren't for bad luck I'd have none at all on this job. went up and bought a couple of new carbide drill bits....not even scratching it from what i can tell. guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow and see if i can pick up somethng stronger than the carbide drill.

cass
A solid carbide drill should drill it,but very likley to break if drilled by hand.If it does break,you can chip it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - floorboard extender bolt broke