Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - floorboard extender bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
Well, not much progress. I used a real fine drill and was making some progress, then the drill snapped off inside the hole. if it weren't for bad luck I'd have none at all on this job. went up and bought a couple of new carbide drill bits....not even scratching it from what i can tell. guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow and see if i can pick up somethng stronger than the carbide drill.

cass
Whoa-- take a step back now and think about this.

You have a flush bolt with a drill broken inside the hole. Now you have to drill into part of the broken drill bit which is harder than the material of the broken bolt.

Based on experience I think that it is now unlikely you will be able to drill the bolt on center (for the extractor) as if you got close to center of the broken bit, the new harder bit will probably bounce off the center every time it touches the broken off bit.

Further you have to position the extractor very close to the center of the broken bolt because if you touch the threads of the bolt hole with the extractor it will bind against the threads and you will be no further than you are now.

My suggestion is to take it to a quality welding fabrication shop who will center a nut over the broken bolt and run a bit of tig bead to the flush head and the inside of the nut.
They will then be able to back the bolt out with a wrench on the nut. The heat will also shrink the broken bolt and I assure you it will turn out easily.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before welding takes place and you will have no electrical issues, and shield any areas you don't want any heat on with water wet rags.

I removed a broken footboard bolt with an extractor broken off in it with a stick welder (SMAW) and if it can be done with that, the Tig process will be even easier and cleaner to perform.
When I did mine I wire brushed the area around the mount tab and hit it with rattle can black after it cooled down.

If you speak with a good fab shop you will know if they can successfully perform the above process. I reckon an hours labour charge (or less) will see it done.

Whatever you decide to do I hope it works for you-- I found further drilling to be a waste of time once I broke the extractor off in it.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cass
Well, i finally got it fixed. One dealer was booked up through the 22nd of Sep, but another has a first come - first serve on saturday. i took it in and they had problems getting it out too. the EZ-out woldn't do it so they had to weld a nut on the bolt and back it out that way. a little at a time, weld the nut back on and back it off some more. anyway, they finally got it done after about 2.5 hrs or so.

I had them put the extenders on for me, while they had it up on the lift. Its nice to have them on. they are really comfortable and that extra inch really makes a difference. I recommend them to anyone that, like me, that has a magnet in their heel and keeps finding the pipes. They certainly make the ride a bit more comfortable and enjoyable and thats what its all about....enjoy the ride.

I'll certainly take this lesson and file it for future situations and applications.

hago

cass
Sorry cass-- I didn't see this repair post before I posted the suggestion more or less for the same fix.

Happy to hear it's fixed.

Cheers,
V2Evo96

Old 09-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Street Glide 103

I did mine and the right side rear did the same as your but at that time I only had a manual set of allen wrenches and had yet went to the auto parts and got the one that fit my ratchet. I just backed it out ran it in and did that 4 or five times and it went in. If I had or went and gotten the adaptor first I would of busted mine off I know I would of. Friend of mine calls me Magilla Gurilla when it comes to breaking off bolts.......

Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Hey Cass,
Tom here… I am really sorry for this trouble. Before I address the bolt breakage issue let me first say I will do as much as I can to fix this for you.

Now for your damage. It sounds let you really had a bad day on this. Just send me an e-mail or call me and I’ll take care of it.

Best regards,
Tom
HarleyGoodies
Tel: 626-253-2022
e-mail: tom@harleygoodies.com
I have the extensions on my bike, and this post makes me feel good! I had no problems installing mine (except getting the originals off). Good post Tom.

chuck

Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
The heat will also shrink the broken bolt and I assure you it will turn out easily.
It may expand the bracket, but heat does not shrink the bolt.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:46 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Thumbs up Good correction

Originally Posted by Beemervet
It may expand the bracket, but heat does not shrink the bolt.
Yes-- you are correct-- I reversed the expansion/contraction rule. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers, V2

Old 01-25-2015, 03:18 PM
HIOCTANE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant tighten bolt?

Well put on the floorboard extenders on my 14 Limited..all went ok until the rear right side bolt..cant get it to tighten, seems like its hitting the bottom of hole. Dont know if its cross threaded ..sure hope not, i cleaned hole with wire brush to see if any loctite was in the way, cant even get the original bolt to go all the way in..should i try a thread chaser?

Old 01-25-2015, 03:56 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Before you put another bolt, tap or chaser in that hole check the depth to be sure that it is at least ( preferably deeper ) as deep the bolt is long. A simple wire ( coat hanger ) or the depth end of a vernier caliper will help!