Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make floor board bracket with higher clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Anyone make floor board bracket with higher clearance?

I have already raised my bike with 13" shocks, and I seem to still want more clearance when riding on winding roads. I don't mind the floor boards scraping, but things get interesting when the mounts touch down. Sometimes when riding in a group of sport bikes I forget I'm on a bagger, 'til the mounts scrape. Then sometimes it becomes a significant emotional event, and I either have to lean off the bike and increase steering input, or slow down (which is not the fun option).

Has anyone seen higher clearance brackets?

Last edited by JCleary; 09-01-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to tell from the pix but are your brackets bolted in the higher of the 2 positions? If not that would be solution number one.

I've seen kits to bring them out and one that brings the floorboards out and forward but nothing that brings them up.

If there is such a thing I'm sure someone will chime in. Good luck and enjoy your ride. She's a beauty.

Last edited by Primo; 09-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Primo
Hard to tell from the pix but are your brackets bolted in the higher of the 2 positions? If not that would be solution number one.
The OP has a '10 and vertical adjustment for the footboard brackets is NOT an option. They are fixed.

Last edited by soos; 09-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
The OP has a '10 and vertical adjustment for the footboard brackets is NOT an option. They are fixed.
Well that's no fun! (thanks for enlightening me)

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It's just another better idea from the MoCo when they redsigned the frame in '09.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to be a smart guy or anything , but have you considered maybe heavier front springs and fork oil.
Then maybe running near max pressure on the rear shocks?
The reason I say this , is on my bike with my wife on the back and 45 lbs in the shocks , it seems like my cornering clearance drops quite a bit.
I noticed a big difference in cornering clearance between 25 and 45 lbs riding one up also.
We're not real big people with me at about 156 pounds and the wife around 135 pounds.
Maybe max rear pressure in the rear and 10-20 more pounds spring rate in the front would do it for you.
Maybe you could change the rear shock oil like I've seen in some recent posts to a slightly heavier oil too.
I've never seen any way to raise the boards on an 09 or newer either.
Mick

Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
Not to be a smart guy or anything , but have you considered maybe heavier front springs and fork oil.
I have, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend $$ on the lousy stock suspension. I think I'm going to get the full Ohlins setup front and rear as soon as the funds allow. Or at the very least, a Progressive cartridge setup and shocks...

Was hoping for a better designed floor board mount though without back yard engineering one...

Or maybe I should get a FXDX for when I want to goof around...

Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder if you'd consider forward controls? Look like they might provide the clearance yer lookin for...

http://www.jbrake.com/forwardcontrols_jfl.html

Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 AM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing for sure you will get rid of the chicken strips so you get your moneys worth. Maybe just me, when I run that close the front gets weak and spongy.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My floorboards look similiar to yours. I am hoping to improve the situation by replacing my rear shocks with 13.5" progressive in the rears. When I replace the exhaust with V&H Power Duals, now my power dual chamber touches down before the floorboards, not very cool at all.

Quick Reply: Anyone make floor board bracket with higher clearance?