Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103" lifter (?) noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 PM
1mg2hd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103" lifter (?) noise

I have a 2011 103 inch Road Glide that develops a noticeable loud valve train noise between 2200 and 2600 rpm. It does not do it above or below that range. When I took the bike in for it's 1000 mile check, the dealer thought it may be because the automatic chain tensioner was about to ratchet or it would come out of it with more miles on the bike (typical answer?). It doesn't matter what gear it is in, if the engine is hot or cold, under load or not, acellerating or de-acellerating. it is really annoying to have it in that rpm range. My 03 Dyna was much quieter. Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas?

Last edited by 1mg2hd; 09-03-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Sentence was wrong
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

Sorry to hear that.
I bought a 2011 SG with the 103 last month, and you can hear the lifters, but it's just because the stock pipes are too quiet. I wouldn't consider them noisy though. Mine just sounds normal.

I'd take it back to the dealer again.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is going in for it's 1k check on Wednesday, and has a similar noise to what you've described. I spend a lot of time listening to it, it's definitely most noticeable around what I think is 2500 rpm. It is still present at higher engine speeds but is harder to hear. It's not audible when cold, but fairly noticeable warm.

I'm only slightly concerned because the few 96" bikes I've ridden didn't make the noise. I'm okay with sewing machine noise, but mine sounds like a knock. I'll let you know what the dealer says on mine next week.

-Nick

Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Dalbergia
Tourer

I can offer something on this. My stock TC-96 I could hear the valve train, barely. When I added the SE-255 cams, the valve train became much more audible (as expected). What I didn't expect, was when I changed out the cylinders and pistons to go to 103, the valve train became much louder again. I've had the same push rods (the originals, the SE-255s have the same base circle as the stock cams so why change them...) through the whole process. No change to the heads, other than having been off twice. Strange, but there it is.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my stock 2011 RG makes the same noise thats harley. and a 103 is louder cuz i had a 103 streetglide and it drove me crazy. but thats the way it is.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 PM
OldNumber7
Intermediate

2010 FLHTP with 103 and mine are really noisy too. But, in 2000 miles since new I have just accepted it and bike still runs great. I think that's just the 103, noisy.It does run quit well though.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dalbergia
I can offer something on this. My stock TC-96 I could hear the valve train, barely. When I added the SE-255 cams, the valve train became much more audible (as expected). What I didn't expect, was when I changed out the cylinders and pistons to go to 103, the valve train became much louder again. I've had the same push rods (the originals, the SE-255s have the same base circle as the stock cams so why change them...) through the whole process. No change to the heads, other than having been off twice. Strange, but there it is.
Thanks, that's comforting to hear that it's normal. Kinda surprised that 7 extra cubes makes such a difference in valvetrain noise with the same cam, but mine runs fantastic so I'm not going to complain. Time for slipons.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Thanks, that's comforting to hear that it's normal.
Heck, it seems most dealers are anxious to comfort then. They seem to say "that is normal" to just about every issue brought up to them.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:27 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior

It's normal so they won't have to wrench on it for free, right?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2010 Limited has a valve train click at all RPMs. Dealer says they all do it. I tell him that my other Harley doesn't do it, and I get the infamous blank stare. If the truth were to be known, I think they don't don't have a clue of how to fix it.

Quick Reply: 103" lifter (?) noise