Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed w/ Pictures--Tour-Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
02FLHTC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little more help

Carl,
First off, I am not a mechanic and when I do something it usually goes wrong... I thought I had this one licked, but it beat me. I have not finished off cable tying and taping the relay box in and did my test... When the left signal blinks on the rear bar, the right tour pack light blinks, opposite for the right.. so something's backwards. I was very careful putting in the colored wires in the correct numbers on the 6 way pin housing. So it has to be the way my cables run inside the tour pack ...
Attached is a overhead of the inside of my tour pack. I routed the new harness through corner A. I thought the relay box with the adhesive goes in corner C, but it looks like it probably should go in corner B ???
It looked like if I mounted in B, I would not have enough length to run it across to corner C...
I had no problems with the bulb housing clips and see if I was wrong, I will have to just pop them back out and switch them?
Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Installed w/ Pictures--Tour-Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit-tour-pack-inside.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 PM
2001Roadking
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info/write up. I've had one sitting in my tool box for awhile. Guess I'll go give it a shot....

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
badknees
Road Master

I did mine early summer. I like the idea of having turnsignals up higher. Easy install.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

02FLHTC, you may have had a temporary case of dyslexia. Your installation is exactly opposite of the instructions. The harness is supposed to be routed through the RIGHT front of the tour pak; your harness is routed through the LEFT front. See steps 6 and 7.

Also, the module goes in the right rear corner of the tour pak as shown in the picture at figure 2 of the instructions. (Note the antenna and tour pak latch shown in the picture.)

You can reroute everything and position the module correctly if you disassemble the connector outside the tour pak. Otherwise, you can simply reverse the contacts in the bulb housings and supply additional wire if necessary to the contact furthest from the module.

Hate to read of your problem, but it's fixable, through frustrating of course.

Carl

Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
02FLHTC
Novice
Default Followup

Carl, my name is Norm... 02 was also my previous dresser..
Thanks... will work on it another day... my son in law said I need a tool to pop the wires out of the 6 connector harness ...I would rather do it that way ..
I told you I am not to bright when it comes to things like this... but understand it now...

Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got around to installing the Tour-pak Brake/Run/Turn Signal Kit (69200042) this weekend.
Only problem I had was when I reconnected the Tour Pak lighting harness with the new harness , all the lights kinda did their own little thing with lots of funky noises. Disconnected the new harness and reconnected the old Tour Pak harness and all the lights work as advertised!!!
Not really sure what's up with that but,they're all working as advertised. Also have the Run/Brake/Turn Signal Conversion Kit adapter preinstalled for the lower lights.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
Nice writeup Pingman .
I was curious as to how these were installed.
Nice pics too.
It seems the factory could do this for us , as it's an enhancement to our safety.
Four way flashers would be nice too......
Oh well , another mod to do this winter....
Thanks
Mick
FYI! Four way flashers came with your bike direct from the factory. Just hold both left and right signal switches at the same time for few seconds and your four ways will activate. To cancel just hold the switches when in 4 way mode for a couple of seconds and they will stop flashing. 4 ways work when iginition is in acc position as well.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 AM
mech8251
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nute
FYI! Four way flashers came with your bike direct from the factory. Just hold both left and right signal switches at the same time for few seconds and your four ways will activate. To cancel just hold the switches when in 4 way mode for a couple of seconds and they will stop flashing. 4 ways work when iginition is in acc position as well.

I believe they're talking about the lack of 4 ways on the Tour Pak !!!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
1pkraft
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mech8251
I finally got around to installing the Tour-pak Brake/Run/Turn Signal Kit (69200042) this weekend.
Only problem I had was when I reconnected the Tour Pak lighting harness with the new harness , all the lights kinda did their own little thing with lots of funky noises. Disconnected the new harness and reconnected the old Tour Pak harness and all the lights work as advertised!!!
Not really sure what's up with that but,they're all working as advertised. Also have the Run/Brake/Turn Signal Conversion Kit adapter preinstalled for the lower lights.
Mech8251 -if you have the Auxiliary Brake / Running Light conversion kit installed make sure it's plugged in "after" the module for the Tour Pak kit.

I plugged mine in before the Tour Pak module and got a lot of loud clicking, moved it after the Tour Pak module and alls quiet.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 AM
mech8251
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1pkraft
Mech8251 -if you have the Auxiliary Brake / Running Light conversion kit installed make sure it's plugged in "after" the module for the Tour Pak kit.

I plugged mine in before the Tour Pak module and got a lot of loud clicking, moved it after the Tour Pak module and alls quiet.

Well after looking it all over again, I swapped the two y connectors out as you mentioned, disconnected the power wire on the new adapter and reconnected the original power wire for the Tour pak lights. Now all lights work as advertised !!! Now I'm back to

Quick Reply: Installed w/ Pictures--Tour-Pak Turn Signal Conversion Kit