Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tune yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dyno tune yes or no

I have a stage 1 on my 2010 SG. Vance and Hines Pro pipe, heavy breather and SE super tuner. I didnt dyno tune when i got this installed. Now Im going to have a 103 kit installed. I'm gonna be using the SE part 27544-10A with SE 259 cams. And I will be buying the SE 103 jugs. My dealer wants me to Dyno the bike and the cost for everything is $2,350.00 out the door. Is it a waste of $300 to do a dyno tune now since i wanted to do it once I have my heads ported later on.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a waste and is absolutely necessary IMO.

The following users liked this post:
Jared Adamache (04-03-2020)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Have the heads done now while it's apart and save yourself the second dyno tune cost.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cycler
I have a stage 1 on my 2010 SG. Vance and Hines Pro pipe, heavy breather and SE super tuner. I didnt dyno tune when i got this installed. Now Im going to have a 103 kit installed. I'm gonna be using the SE part 27544-10A with SE 259 cams. And I will be buying the SE 103 jugs. My dealer wants me to Dyno the bike and the cost for everything is $2,350.00 out the door. Is it a waste of $300 to do a dyno tune now since i wanted to do it once I have my heads ported later on.
Did you buy the bike at the same dealer you got the pipes, HB, SERT, and now the engine work? Did you get all the above from the same dealer? IF SO and if they won't INCLUDE a Dyno tune at NO cost to you I think you need to find a new dealer... That is WAY beyond taking advantage of you....just plain downright sorry IMP... I'd shop around for sure and wound not give them one more red cent.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,586 Likes on 4,613 Posts

I have a solution, the rev perf EMS tuner, this tuner self tunes the bike and can grow with the bike as you do mods down the road. up to a 25% increase in displacement. I have just installed it on my bike as I didn't want the violent attack on the dyno that goes with tuning, plus always wondering if its as close as it should be. This tuner works!! you install it on the bike, you send the ecm to rev perf, in a box provided to you via overnight fed ex, shipped back to you 2nd day (sent mine on monday got it back wed. morn!) start the bike, let it idle 5 min, DONE! bike runs fantastic!! no joke Starts best ever, throttle response like a cable bike (mine is fly by wire) I am a mechanic by trade, I swear, I wouldn't do it any other way. go to their website and check it out prices vary depending on who you buy from around 650-700, list is 800, but they can do better. and you get you bike properly tuned now and when you do the heads, you just restart the learn in procedure, nothing to buy, I'm telling you this product is amazing!! I don't have anything to do with these guys, other than rave about this check it out for yourself!!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Dr v-twin sells them ask him!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I have a solution, the rev perf EMS tuner, this tuner self tunes the bike and can grow with the bike as you do mods down the road. up to a 25% increase in displacement. I have just installed it on my bike as I didn't want the violent attack on the dyno that goes with tuning, plus always wondering if its as close as it should be. This tuner works!! you install it on the bike, you send the ecm to rev perf, in a box provided to you via overnight fed ex, shipped back to you 2nd day (sent mine on monday got it back wed. morn!) start the bike, let it idle 5 min, DONE! bike runs fantastic!! no joke Starts best ever, throttle response like a cable bike (mine is fly by wire) I am a mechanic by trade, I swear, I wouldn't do it any other way. go to their website and check it out prices vary depending on who you buy from around 650-700, list is 800, but they can do better. and you get you bike properly tuned now and when you do the heads, you just restart the learn in procedure, nothing to buy, I'm telling you this product is amazing!! I don't have anything to do with these guys, other than rave about this check it out for yourself!!
Never heard of such a thing. I cant see how it could possibly be as good as a dyno tune but for that kind of money it better be.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by big6x6
Did you buy the bike at the same dealer you got the pipes, HB, SERT, and now the engine work? Did you get all the above from the same dealer? IF SO and if they won't INCLUDE a Dyno tune at NO cost to you I think you need to find a new dealer... That is WAY beyond taking advantage of you....just plain downright sorry IMP... I'd shop around for sure and wound not give them one more red cent.

No I didnt buy the bike at this dealership and didnt get my stage 1 done by them. The manager wasnt moving on pricing so i went 15 miles away and got my 2010 SG with ABS for $18K with no freight and no prep. I also added a bunch of PM, Roland Sands and other things to the bike. However the dealer that is doing the Stage 2 is also installing 7.25 JM speakers, JM amp, Yaffee monkey bars, Yaffee tank, S&S dual cone intake, PM mirrors for $650.00. I bought the parts somewhere else. But the 103 kit Im buying from them. I will talk to them about the dyno tune since I brought my dad in today and he got a bike from them. He bought a 2011 FXDC. And they included a 103 kit, No freight and prep, and first 3 services free. And he is also adding exhaust, heavy breather and power commander. Actually they are offering 12 things and you can choose 3. They are pretty good dealership.

Last edited by cycler; 02-05-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Never heard of such a thing. I cant see how it could possibly be as good as a dyno tune but for that kind of money it better be.
lets look at a dyno tune, first ya need either sert, or some other type of piggyback system 275-450. A really good tune getting every last hp and glitch out of the system takes around 20-25 pulls and if the guy is really good 5-6 hours 100.00 an hour (here in so cal) ave it out 600-700? plus all the beating your bike takes,(don't every watch this process, you will cry for days!!) and now the next upgrade to your bike, is going to require the process to repeat minus the tuner, Self learning ecu's are not new. Zipper's has one for some time but you juse their ecu and its had some drawbacks, as much as I really like zippers products and work, this system takee existing ecu technology from harley, and allows it to learn thru wide band o2 sensors, (you change them out, in the kit) reset throttle, start bike, let it idle 5 minutes, bike is tuned, from Idle to red line, just cuz you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean its not good, and it is a whole lot better than a dyno tune because you have no operator error, not every town has a good tuner, and not every good tuner might not spend all the time to get it perfect, this adjusts AFM and ignition as you go and grow, its hands down the best thing out there don't be skeptical, look at the reviews the tech side of it and what builders are saying

Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
lets look at a dyno tune, first ya need either sert, or some other type of piggyback system 275-450. A really good tune getting every last hp and glitch out of the system takes around 20-25 pulls and if the guy is really good 5-6 hours 100.00 an hour (here in so cal) ave it out 600-700? plus all the beating your bike takes,(don't every watch this process, you will cry for days!!) and now the next upgrade to your bike, is going to require the process to repeat minus the tuner, Self learning ecu's are not new. Zipper's has one for some time but you juse their ecu and its had some drawbacks, as much as I really like zippers products and work, this system takee existing ecu technology from harley, and allows it to learn thru wide band o2 sensors, (you change them out, in the kit) reset throttle, start bike, let it idle 5 minutes, bike is tuned, from Idle to red line, just cuz you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean its not good, and it is a whole lot better than a dyno tune because you have no operator error, not every town has a good tuner, and not every good tuner might not spend all the time to get it perfect, this adjusts AFM and ignition as you go and grow, its hands down the best thing out there don't be skeptical, look at the reviews the tech side of it and what builders are saying
A lot of what youre saying sounds good and I expected that eventually the dyno tuning would be phased out. Look at some of my prior threads on this very subject and you'll see what I mean. I just wasnt aware that there was something available yet that could do what this claims to be able to do. I just looked at the webpage with the information on this product and it sounds good but I'll admit that I am a little skeptical. I thought the dynojet powervision was the closest thing we had to phasing out the dyno tune. How long has this system been available and is there any way to tell its on a given bike? Also, would a warrantied bike still be warrantied?

Quick Reply: Dyno tune yes or no