Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical connectors for Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical connectors for Tour Pak

Well, I found out that the Ultra Tour Pak that I ordered for my '11 FLTRX won't be in before our trip. A friend of mine loaned me his tour pak off of an '09 Ultra Classic, which he made detachable. There is a male Deutch 3 pin connector for the brake/tail lights coming from the tour pak, and I have a female 3 pin connector (I believe) for lighting a tour pak that I found under my left side cover. The female connector from my bike appears to accept a flat style pin, whereas the Deutch has round pins. I tried to plug them together, not very forcefully, and it didn't seem to work. Is this right, and they won't connect? Does anybody know the name of the black connector that is attached to the bike? I'm really hoping to have some brakelights on this tour pak before we leave on our trip next week. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 PM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Will the Ultra Tour Pak I ordered come with a Deutch connector or one to mate up with the connector from the bike? Do I need to change the connector attached to the bike to a Deutch?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It's extremely unlikely that the '09 tour pak has a connector for the tour pak lights that is not compatible with the harness on your bike. I say that having just installed a new HD accessory (tour pak turn signal conversion kit for the Ultra tail lights) and it makes no distinction between '97 and newer tour pak harnesses.

Have you removed the tour pak liner? I ask because you may find that the connector you found is not the one for the tour pak lights, or it's a pigtail and the compatible connector is inside the tour pak. IIRC, the wire colors for the tour pak lights are black (ground), blue (run), and red/orange or yellow stripe (brake).

Carl

EDIT: Neil, in a post below, explains that the detachable kit included a Deutsch connector that extends the tour pak's harness outside the tour pak.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-15-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a thread you might want to review.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Your buddy used the light harness in the 09 and up lit that makes the lighting connection detachable with a weather tight plug. I just added on to my 02 Ultra. I have attached a pic of the harness. It replaces the flat stock connector (the stock one connects inside the tour pak) with the Deutch connector for outside the pak. You could just add the kit to your bike if you plan on making your tour pak detachable. Good luck.

Neil
RDMC

Attached Thumbnails Electrical connectors for Tour Pak-100_2405.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 AM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

Hey, thanks guys for the info! Carl, I believe when my buddy made his tour pak detachable on his '09 Ultra, he used Deutch connectors instead of the flat black connector that come on my RG's wiring harness, because those wires sit outside the TP and the wire colors match up. Since I am only borrowing this TP I didn't want to convert my wiring harness over to Deutch because I assume that when my TP comes in it will have the flat black connector which will be a direct plug-n-play with my bikes harness. Neil, if that harness has a female Deutch and a male flat black plug, it's exactly what I need!!! Is this the case? Do you have a part#? I can't look at the picture you posted while I'm typing this response to see if it showed a part# or not. Again, thank you all for the help.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, Neil solved the mystery of the mismatched connectors.

Woody, if your friend is nearby to do it or okays it for you to do it, the extension/pigtail can easily be removed temporarily to allow you to connect your bike's tour pak harness to the compatible connector inside the tour pak.

Carl

Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Carl has a good point I didn't think of at 1:30 AM. Just unplug the pigtail and plug your wires in the tour pak. The part number is 70113-08 if you decide to go that route. You will have to have the plug on the main wire harness on your bike cut to install the deutch connector installed. It is not a big deal. I had a HD dealer do it. Good luck.

Neil
RDMC

Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM
WoodyHD
Road Warrior

You guys are right, I have not looked behind the tour pak liner yet, I guess I just assumed that the OEM wires ran straight back to the lights and they just cut the harness wires at some point along the way and made a quick disconnect. Thank you guys a lot for your help! Carl, I just re-read your first post where you mentioned this, guess I'm a little slow on the draw today.

Woody

Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodyHD
Hey, thanks guys for the info! Carl, I believe when my buddy made his tour Pak detachable on his '09 Ultra, he used Deutch connectors instead of the flat black connector that come on my RG's wiring harness, because those wires sit outside the TP and the wire colors match up. Since I am only borrowing this TP I didn't want to convert my wiring harness over to Deutch because I assume that when my TP comes in it will have the flat black connector which will be a direct plug-n-play with my bikes harness. Neil, if that harness has a female Deutch and a male flat black plug, it's exactly what I need!!! Is this the case? Do you have a part#? I can't look at the picture you posted while I'm typing this response to see if it showed a part# or not. Again, thank you all for the help.
I added the Detachable Tour Pak to my Road Glide. I added the Ultra Light Bar and the wires that were under the side cover and the plug on the end of the Light Bar were the flat three pin connector. I took the conversion for earlier harness to late wire harness and used it to extend the plug outside the Tour Pak. I still used the flat connector.

When you get your's, it will have the flat connector.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Electrical connectors for Tour Pak