Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast idle at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:54 PM
MNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast idle at startup?

The issue...every once in a while when i start the bike, the idle will be up around 2000rpms. Sometimes it will be normal, but as soon as i pull in the clutch the rpms will jump to 2000. If i let the clutch out slowly, the rpms drop to normal but if i start to pull the clutch in again, the rpms jump back up to 2000ish. I had read some where that when that happens, if you just stand there with the clutch pulled in and twist your bars all the way left then all the way right the idle will drop down to normal rpms. That is what i do every time it happens and the bike is fine after that. It did it stock and with the PCV, so i don't think it's the ecm. I've been getting in the habit of always twisting my bars back in forth before i take off, but it is annoying. Anyone else have this happen and have a real fix for it?
Thanks.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Do you let your bike warm up? I'd be willing to bet it's just the ecm bumping the idle up a little because it's either cold or thinks it's cold. Remember chokes? The ecm is doing the same thing. Let it run a minute and I bet it will drop back to normal idle on it's own as it warms up and all the sensors are happy. Sometimes this will happen even if the bike is warm but once the sensors realize everything is ok, then your idle should settle on it's own.

If swinging the bars back and forth is really effecting your idle speed, you have more issues than you think.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Have you tried updating the PCV?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
Have you tried updating the PCV?
Interesting, how do you update the PCV?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

On 2008 bikes if you shut the bike down using the kill, switch while the throttle is partially open, it will reset the "zero" on the throttle.
(That is you accidentally twist the throttle a little when you reach for the button with your thumb).
To reset it cycle the ignition switch (off to run then back to off) 4 times waiting a few seconds at each position.
I'm not sure if this is true for other years.

The following users liked this post:
Skye120 (05-26-2020)
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piasspj
On 2008 bikes if you shut the bike down using the kill, switch while the throttle is partially open, it will reset the "zero" on the throttle.
(That is you accidentally twist the throttle a little when you reach for the button with your thumb).
To reset it cycle the ignition switch (off to run then back to off) 4 times waiting a few seconds at each position.
I'm not sure if this is true for other years.
This happened to me. I got into the habit of shifting into neutral and then hitting the kill switch while still 30 yards out, and coasting into into my driveway. The rpm was still up when I did this and after awhile my bike idled at a very high rate. I call this "idle creep", as it happens in small increments, idling just a little higher at a time until one finally realizes that something is wrong. A quick search on this forum and I found the fix you mentioned. My idle speed immediately dropped back to normal and now I always wait a few seconds to allow the rpm to drop back to idle before I hit the kill switch.
When the same thing happened to a friend of mine he thought that I was a real bright guy for having a ready solution...

Old 10-04-2010, 09:13 PM
MNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's the pcv since it did it before i had it installed. I'll try the kill switch thing, because i always use it to turn the bike off. And I always warm it up. I makes no sense to me, but the turning of the bars works. Maybe it's an issue with the TBW.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Stop using the kill switch to shut off the bike and your troubles will go away.